Science Forums

Autosearch upon starting New Thread

InfiniteNow

Perhaps we could implement a system whereby when the user submits a new thread, a search could automatically be run which generates a list of already existing threads of similar topic. The user could then be prompted:

Please check these threads which discuss similar topics to the post you are trying to submit. Please ensure that you include your post on one of them if appropriate instead of starting a duplicate threads.

...with some sort of confirmation choice like, "Yes, this is a completely new approach or question. Submit as requested." or "Please direct me to the thread I've selected below and save my text to be able to post it there..."

Perhaps we could implement a system whereby when the user submits a new thread, a search could automatically be run which generates a list of already existing threads of similar topic.

I think this idea has a great deal of merit InfiN.........maybe you should contact one of our administrators and run the idea past them?

Thanks Infy... actually a post by Turtle made me think of it... Which Admin do you suggest should be contacted?
Tormod is the Moderator of this 'Suggestions and Wish List Forum', so I think you should give him a try. He is rather busy so, it may take a while for him to respond to your requests. At any rate, good luck with this suggestion, I believe it is a good one.................Infy

• 3 weeks later...

I actually read this thread the day it was posted and while it's a great idea it is not doable in practice with the current software. It would require a major hack.

Also, it would simply help if people could learn to search before they posted... :)

So, 10 points for the idea. Close but no cigar.

How about a manual thing along similar lines. I was going to make a post of my suggested readings in Hypography. Organized by catagory. As I find things I like I would add them to the post. It would be like picking my brain for suggested readings on various topics. Others could do the same thing. It would be another way of helping people find buried treasure here at Hypography. Maybe make it a sticky so it stays at the top and make it so you need to be around for a while before you can post one for yourself. Like the recommended movies section of the video store. I think I am going to start one.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

While I admit that the idea seems novel. You are basically telling new users not to post until they have read the volumes of new knowledge here. On top of that, I believe a topical search of just the thread titles would be lackluster, however an indepth search of all posts on the site would be overbearing.

New posts need better names first. A new search tool for the posts (after posts have been renamed) to allow one to search first thread title and then for certain posts within that thread (which I haven't figured out how to do yet, so I'll conjecture that it is not possible) would be my second recommendation before this above thought would seem possible.

Yep, while the advanced search is a little more advanced than the basic search, I've actually found I get more accurate results trying to find what I'm looking for in a basic search.

My recommendation would be to have a trim search results without totally restarting the search. This is because when I find the threads that I want to search, then I can't do a search upon the threads that I have found to find specific posts within just those threads.

This would be what I would use on a secondary search perameter. Once the initial search with display results as threads had been done and just the particular threads were left, then I would like to do a search results and display as posts. However, as far as I can see the search results (of first search) is not an option.