Science Forums

Why do you think Global Warming is being ignored?

Wondering

Hi everyone! This is my first time on this site, and I was just wondering what you're thoughts are on Global Warming and why you think people (including politicians) may be ignoring this global issue. (That is if you think people ARE ignoring it). Do you think Global Warming, Climate Change, and Natural Disasters deserve more attention?

___Welcome Wondering.:) I think global warming is a natural Earth cycle that has no direct cause in human activity, although that activity may speed things along.

___Yes I think disasters need more of our attention, whether related to global warming or not.

http://hypography.com/forums/philosophy-humanities/1905-philosophy-disaster-preparedness.html?highlight=disaster+preparedness

___If you use the Search button on the menu bar & put in 'global warming' you will find all the Hypography threads discussing the topic.:eek:

Hi everyone! This is my first time on this site, and I was just wondering what you're thoughts are on Global Warming and why you think people (including politicians) may be ignoring this global issue. (That is if you think people ARE ignoring it). Do you think Global Warming, Climate Change, and Natural Disasters deserve more attention?

Welcome Wondering!

The only way that Global Warming could receive more attention is if an ice sheet were plummeting down on the northern hemisphere. How much attention do you think an issue should receive? Or by attention are you talking about actions to avoid global warming?

Bill

Thank you for your thoughts so far. To answer your question, I definitly think that more action should be taken. Even if climate change is not caused by humans, I think we should be trying to stop the effects of it in any way we can. One thing I noticed is that on any news website i have seen, there are sections for buisiness, economy, weather, etc. - things that most people are concerned about. I think there should be a section on environment. The earth we live on should be our main concern... shouldn't it???

Thank you for your thoughts so far. To answer your question, I definitly think that more action should be taken. Even if climate change is not caused by humans, I think we should be trying to stop the effects of it in any way we can. One thing I noticed is that on any news website i have seen, there are sections for buisiness, economy, weather, etc. - things that most people are concerned about. I think there should be a section on environment. The earth we live on should be our main concern... shouldn't it???

If this is a natural cycle of the earth, what right does man have to interfere?

Bill

Well, I think that is a dumb question, but maybe you're just trying to see what I think. If it isnt our right.. then it must be our creator's right. So i think for respect for the creator of the earth we should try to keep it beautiful, clean, alive... We have the right to pollute and cut down trees. So then we have the right to somehow stop glaciers from melting along with other effects of global warming. If it is possible, we should try.

Well, I think that is a dumb question, but maybe you're just trying to see what I think. If it isnt our right.. then it must be our creator's right. So i think for respect for the creator of the earth we should try to keep it beautiful, clean, alive... We have the right to pollute and cut down trees. So then we have the right to somehow stop glaciers from melting along with other effects of global warming. If it is possible, we should try.

I like this thread wondering, and I am glad to get in at the beginning of such a discussion. I am uninterested in your religious beliefs in terms of this conversation. You had indicated that we should stop global warming even if it was not caused by us. If that is the case, then why should we stop it? We spent years stopping every forest fire, but we know now that some trees only reporduce as a result of forest fires. So now there is debate about letting the trees burn for the sake of the trees. The forests are ugly after they burn, but it is the natural order of things. Why should global warming be any different?

Bill

If we didn't put out forest fires, would they ever stop? Would we just let everything burn? Maybe it is an emotional connection to the earth. But it is the only earth we have. Global warming should be a major concern because the possible effects could be very dangerous to a lot of people. Maybe even dangerous to all of us. What about the bird flu? The bird flu is natural. It wasn't created by man. Do we not have any right to try to try to stop it from happening, or cure those who are sick with it?

If we didn't put out forest fires, would they ever stop? Would we just let everything burn? Maybe it is an emotional connection to the earth. But it is the only earth we have. Global warming should be a major concern because the possible effects could be very dangerous to a lot of people. Maybe even dangerous to all of us. What about the bird flu? The bird flu is natural. It wasn't created by man. Do we not have any right to try to try to stop it from happening, or cure those who are sick with it?

Excellent points Wondering! Glad to have you aboard.

The point of my debating this with you is that the point is not saving the earth. The point is saving man. You just stated this above, so on that point we agree.

Next question. If it proves that man will not be killed off, or suffer any worse than he does today, if the global temerature were to go up say 5 degrees. Then what would be the point of stopping global warming? If we can survive it, then why stop it?

Bill

If we didn't put out forest fires, would they ever stop?

Would we just let everything burn? Maybe it is an emotional connection to the earth. But it is the only earth we have. Global warming should be a major concern because the possible effects could be very dangerous to a lot of people. Maybe even dangerous to all of us. What about the bird flu? The bird flu is natural. It wasn't created by man. Do we not have any right to try to try to stop it from happening, or cure those who are sick with it?

___Yes, the fires go out on their own. For one thing, the Native Americans used to set fires to promote healthy forests & grasslands before the Europeans came. For another thing, before people started populating the Earth the fires came & went of their own accord, and yet here we are to discuss this.

___People can't even fully understand small scale Earth functions like local weather, let alone modify an entire planet. Moreover, these climate cycles appear directly connected to the Sun & its natural cycles & we have a lot to learn about the Sun before we have any hope of modifying its behavior.

___If you google 'global warming', the result is evidence enough that folks have the topic well in mind.

Howdy Wondering,

Glad to have you aboard. This is a fun place and has assisted me in growing new neuronal connections for sure.

Global warming is indeed a complex topic, one which has also been explored on this site many times and many ways. You might try the Search feature and type "global warming" to bring yourself up to speed on what's been covered and what folks around here think... it's a good bunch by the way. :eek:

Search Results for: global warming

Quick bullet point answers:

- Not easy to focus on a topic with no immediate fix

- Attention is being spent elsewhere, like war and nukes and the like

- Fear is definitely a factor, and many policitians fear they will not be re-elected if the induce fear into the populus

- Most assuredly deserves more attention, but also deserves better ideas and solutions.

Cheers. See you in the forums. :)

___Further musings:

Just as fire is required to open the cones of some trees, or a bird's heat is required to hatch an egg, maybe global warming is required to bring the Earth to its next episode of new life. :)

I had started typing a thought in that vein in post 7, but decided to keep it simple. I have been trying to hatch a connection in my head between earth cycles (localized) and speciation.

hmmmm....

Bill

Excellent points Wondering! Glad to have you aboard.

The point of my debating this with you is that the point is not saving the earth. The point is saving man. You just stated this above, so on that point we agree.

Next question. If it proves that man will not be killed off, or suffer any worse than he does today, if the global temerature were to go up say 5 degrees. Then what would be the point of stopping global warming? If we can survive it, then why stop it?

Bill

But isn't global warming an ongoing process? Would it actually just go up 5 degrees and then stop?

And what about the damage to the earth.. the beautiful sights we could lose and are losing. I saw on the news that in Italy, the glaciers on one of the poplular skiing sites will be gaone in 50 years. Doesn't anybody (besides the people who actually see them) care about these losses even a little bit?

But isn't global warming an ongoing process? Would it actually just go up 5 degrees and then stop?

And what about the damage to the earth.. the beautiful sights we could lose and are losing. I saw on the news that in Italy, the glaciers on one of the poplular skiing sites will be gaone in 50 years. Doesn't anybody (besides the people who actually see them) care about these losses even a little bit?

Historically there is a cold rebound after a warming period. As all the glaciers melt the water levels rise. As they rise the wet surface of the earth increases. That causes greater evaporation into the atmosphere and increased cloud cover. The increased cloud cover causes the temperature to drop along with increased precipitation. All the things that cause an ice age. That is my understanding of how it should play out. Any way you slice it you periodically have really extreme weather. Regardless of what is living and happening on the planet. I am more concerned about poisoning the atmosphere and the water in such a manner that it causes a human catastophy than I am about how man is effecting global weather cycles.

Bill