Science Forums

Perpetual motion

I don't know what you guys THINK you have, but it's not a perpetual motion machine. They violate the laws of physics.

This has been a really good thread with a lot of good input about a subject that is considered to be impossible, and totally hopeless. I love it!

Regardless of "...what is, and what shall never be..." -Led Zeppelin.

If it wasn't for the lunatic fringe; the few excentric visionaries who drew outside the lines and crossed the boundaries of what lies behind, into the dark mysterious no-mans land of what lies ahead... undaunted by the absence of allies and supporters; we would all still be walking around in animal skins and rubbing sticks together to get fire.

RMay06---I really don't believe that perpetual motion machine of yours works, not beause I am convinced that the laws of thermodynamics are being violated; but because I have been working on this "impossible dream" for over 5 years now, and have learned alot about the interaction of permanant magnetic fields that you won't discover by reading a science book.

I assure you of one thing: if you don't get in there and build it yourself, nobody's going to do it for you.

Have I built a working pmm? No. Is it possible? I believe so.

But neither my belief nor dissbelief changes the reality that if it really is possible; it won't be discovered by those who don't believe it can be.

It doesn't matter if its patented. Go to one of those hosting companies in China and just put a live stream of it working non-stop and charge a dollar a minute to watch. You'll make a million bucks in no time!

And while we're quoting Plant/Page: "There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold...." (sorry Tormod, I hope this isn't a "No Stairway Zone!")...

Cheers,

Buffy

If it wasn't for the lunatic fringe; the few excentric visionaries who drew outside the lines and crossed the boundaries of what lies behind, into the dark mysterious no-mans land of what lies ahead... undaunted by the absence of allies and supporters; we would all still be walking around in animal skins and rubbing sticks together to get fire.

"They carry news that must get through, to build a dream for me and you;

-back to the path where no one goes."

Sorry to skip bands and millenia on you but: "didn't come here, to see you pouring beer all over your face..."

Trading riffs should probably be moved to the Watercooler, even though all of the above quotes are actually relevant to the thread (left as an exercise to the reader!)

Cheers,

Buffy

Hello, RMay06.

If your device is spinning vertically, I would say that gravity may have an effect in the long term. However, if it's spinning horizontally and level, gravity should not. There is the friction to consider, but if it's minimal and you have enough power to compinsate the friction, I say you have it.

The point is, you diserve applause, for making it, be it small or not. There are enough critics out there, as you can see, and a lot of theory as well. Theory is fine, but they're not do'ers.

Don't give up. Failure is part of success. For those who say " impossinle" ,,,, I say , you remind me of the critics who said that man would never fly. Just remember that the first flight by the Wright brothers was only the lenght of a football field, and look at us now, not to mention that in the first 50 or 60 years of flight, we've gone to the moon and back.

Surprisingly low tech may outweigh high tech on certain problems.

May the force be with you

There is the friction to consider, but if it's minimal and you have enough power to compinsate the friction, I say you have it.

Friction causes energy to be lost from the system. No matter how much energy you start with, friction will cause it to decrease over time, eventually making the machine no longer able to complete a cycle. If you have to put energy into the system to compensate for friction, then you don't have a perpetual motion machine.

but I can keep something spinning forever (in theory). With the power of magnets angled in a precise way, I have found a way to keep a bar spinning and generating electricity for all of eternity.

But magnets don't last for all eternity....