Science Forums

Perpetual motion

I don't believe that perpetual motion is possible, but reading some of these posts reminded me of anither topic. Infinite. WE may not be able to ever reach perpetual motion but as in calculus there are some limits involving infinite that approach zero but never actually reach it. Kind of like half lives. So when we finally reach that level technologically we will be able to simulate artificial perpetual motion. If that makes any sense....????

Hello AsaTaiyo; If you'll look at the universe around us, you might define what you see as perpetual motion. Even though, some have calculated an end to this cosmos in the very distant future, I'm confident that they will fall short of proving their point. I think time will run out on them long before we obtain such information. As far as manufacturing such a device here on earth, the laws of physics are standing in opposition to such an event. But keep thinking, it's why we are all here at Hypography, to investigate, to speculate, to dream dreams that are truly original. Have fun. infamous

Hello infamous; It has been said,,,,, If you build it , they will come...... Seeing that you are originally from the ( show me state ) , if I build it, will you come???????? :) :)

Have a good day.

Hey there captain_90; If you build it, if anyone builds it, this perpetual motion machine, I will absolutely be there for the unveiling. You have a good one also.

Perpetual Motion is a pipe dream and the only thing I have seen perpetual about this is there

is always someone who is ready to give it a go. I remember a Nytonal engine claim back in

90's to be a perpetual motion machine [Hoax/fraud]. Thermodynamics shows how every

system in action has attributable loss. To operate, there is loss. This is why efficiency is

NEVER 100%. As a system looses energy it would eventually stop. Silly idea. :)

However, if Uncle Marty builds such a device, I would be happy to give it my scrutiny. :)

Maddog

Well I'm working hard on my project and after a 14 hr steady day in my machine shop, I believe I,m 25% completed .

One thing,( which to me is absolute), is if you take a teeter totter which is of equal length from the centre of which is a fixed shaft on bearings and ballanced, and you place a 100 lb weight at an eight foot radius on the right side, you will end up with 800 ft/lb torque on the shaft. If on the left side, you place a 100lb weight at six feet radius, you end up with 600 ft/lb torque in the opposite direction. This leaves you with 200 ft/lb torque heavier on the right side, less bearing friction . Second, Gravity does not get weaker or lesson with time, at least not in our life time.

That's all for now folks. Let you know how things go. Infamous; do'nt pack your bags just yet :) :) :)

Ok, it's too cold to work in my shack these days, so not much has been done since. ( -30 last night )

I do have a question,,,,,, If a wheel was to start it's motion by itself, continue spinning and increase it's rpm's and not stop except for mechanical break downs, e.g.over reving and bearing failure,,,,,,what do I have???????

Next question,,,,,, If this wheel requires a mechanical governor in order to regulate it's speed ,, and it can handle a load e.g. small permanent magnetic altinater ,,,, What do I have?????

Is it perpetual motion, or is it not due to mechanical break down at some point in time??

It cannot go forever without maintanence ...

have a good day.

I do have a question,,,,,, If a wheel was to start it's motion by itself, continue spinning and increase it's rpm's and not stop except for mechanical break downs, e.g.over reving and bearing failure,,,,,,what do I have???????

A need for a cup of coffee, some sleep, and an investigation to find the hidden force which pulls the wheel. No motion starts without a force. :hihi:

A need for a cup of coffee, some sleep, and an investigation to find the hidden force which pulls the wheel. No motion starts without a force. :hihi:

Maybe we could put a little mouse on the tread mill? Just jokeing, keep dreaming, it's how all great inventions give birth. You go get em, Captain90.

My never ending sorce of power is simply gravity.

I would be very interested in how any tool can use the gravitational pull as a driving mechanism and avoid the exact same force as a breaking mechanism. This is the fallacy which has ruined just about every attempt at creating a pm machine so far.

Hey captain90; Just a thought on your project. When I was a young fellow, I was deeply interested in propetual motion. I quess that it's easier for young people to dream about things that have been deemed impossible to the scientific establishment. Anyway, even though I understood that common belief for propetual motion was impossible, I continued in my quest to prove them all wrong. As you can see I failed, or maybe more factually, I gave up. As long as you still believe that you can find the answers, don't give up the fight. Even if you don't ever discover your dream, you will learn many things chashing after it. There is one approach that I always thought might work, and if you are interested, try combining both gravity and magnetism in your machine. Maybe when gravity has to recover its potential energy in the 360 degrees of rotation, you could apply magnetism to return to this begining point of rotation. All the physical laws are against you, but I'm pulling for you, I'm on your side. Good luck. infamous