Science Forums

String theory & religious thought

mocnarf

I was contemplating the creation of the universe and the string theory and was thinking how string theory might answer why did the universe got started. Why was there a big bang? Why didn't the strings continue in their super dense pin point state of existance?

The current string theory (as I understand it) embraces the idea of 10 or 11 dimensions. The purpose of these added dimensions it seems (if I understand it correctly) is to cause strings to vibrate at different resonances. What if there is only three dimensions plus time. And strings could independently without outside interaction change its resonance.

So my question would be if mathematicians and physicists could plug the idea that the string can independently change is resonance, it's frequency of vibration, How would this effect the string theory mathematics?

And to religious philosophers, If strings could change their resonance so as to be in a synergistic harmony with other near by strings, for the purpose of an evolutionary growth. Could not the universe have been started by a purposeful action taken by the strings to synergistically change their harmonics so that the big band could occur? Are we not the result of this evolutionary process started by the collective synergy of strings?

Seems like you're oversimplifying string theory to me.

That may be, but it has been my experience that the simplest answer that explanes current observations and predicts future observations would most likely be the correct answer. My desire is to know whether mathmatics could even handle the possiblity that strings can independently and without any outside influence change their frequency of vibration.

Let's assume that strings can do this. The question then becomes why would a string change it's vibration rate? Is it just random changes? Or, possibily it is purposeful?

I would suggest that there is a fundamental law of the universe that I call synergy. I propose that by changing their resonance that strings can become synergistic with other strings and increase in their energy level. Increase their power, if you will.

I am suggesting that synergy is the driving force behind evolution and evolution started with strings and the big bang.

...What if there is only three dimensions plus time. And strings could independently without outside interaction change its resonance. ...

So my question would be if mathematicians and physicists could plug the idea that the string can independently change is resonance, it's frequency of vibration, How would this effect the string theory mathematics?

Well, I am not a string theorist, and the mathematics is FAR beyond my three semesters of calculus. But the short answer is that the String Theory mathematicians need to use higher dimensional mathematics (at least 11) to build predictive models that are consistent with observed data from the Standard Model (that is, Standard Model for particle physics). One of the operative problems with string theory is that most of the predictions of the theory require physical testing services that are beyond our current capacity (one predicition would requires a particle accelerator larger than the solar system).

The math is ugly, the predictions are big and most implications are highly counterintuitive. At least to me.

Where are our Physicists on this? Qfwfq- where are you to fix what I said?

Predictions are tough because string theory has something on the order of 10^100 to 10^500 possible solutions... Also, there are some theories out there where there are multiple bangs... not just one absolute moment of beginning, and only in worlds where the vacuum energy is just enough to balance gravity, but not too strong that it all flies apart will those worlds last. It's a bit anthropomorphic, but it's the best we have right now.

Strings also can't be (adequately) thought of like strings on a cello. They have closed loops, different shapes, some open... It's not like we can twist a knob and retune them. I am interested the thoughts you are having, but it's just thought (for now anyway...) ;)

Cheers. ;)