Science Forums

Guitar Rig

Originally posted by: Freethinker

HEY! the first response to your original posts on this thread was ME posting MY (very limited) guitar equip! How soon they forget! :-)

Yada yada. Remember I left my brain somewhere last week.

Tormod: I have never ever owned a valve amp.

What? You have water cooled amps or something? Valves? Perhaps hydraulic remote control of switches and knobs?

LOL. They forgot to reinstall my thesaurus! How embarrassing. The word is..."tube". Yes. "Tube". I don't know where that "valve" word even came from. Sheesh.

He is willing to forego all of the effects to get the sound.

My sentiments too while I were a student. Now I feel that I can experiment more with sound shaping and effects production. But with so many options it's real easy to forget to play "music" and start playing mindless muzak. Without the sound there is not much left...

Now I need to grease those valves.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by: Tormod

Okay, let's try the upload functionality:

Here is a short improvised jazzy funk tune I recorded in January to test my spanking new BFD (Big F*** Drums) software. The guitar was recorded with GuitarPort into FL Studio.

Now I know why you were working on file transfer!

A very good first one! Great job. Worth the effort. One more amazing thing from the net. Get to hear an almost live jam from someone I've never seen in person.

I couldn't help but notice a bit of Almond Bros in the rifs. The key and rhythm. One I play with a good bit. Or am I off? Some of the neck work is familiar. I like the style.

Thanks

Thanks, FT. I don't think I can really place the influences in that short clip - it's all out of the top of my head without preparation. The tone however is modeled after one of my favorite Norwegian guitarists, Terje Rypdal, who has done a lot of good records in the past decades. I listen to just about everything. My college improv teacher was a soprano sax player and that kind of music inspires me - often more melodic than a lot of jazz guitar.

I'm currently setting up my new gear and will upload a song when I get my act together.

The "Almond Bros", are they the cousins of the Peach Boys?

Thanks, FT. I don't think I can really place the influences in that short clip

I recognize the fingering. The way you work up and down the neck. Yes it kind of stood out, but then I am such a fan of theirs. Even though I can't spell their name! (How embarrasing!)

I have a few personal stories about my close calls with them.

The "Almond Bros", are they the cousins of the Peach Boys?

Well they did release "Eat a Peach".

Ya I know Allman Bros!.

Originally posted by: wisdumn i personally use a korg D-12 digital 12 track recorder for now but will be upgrading soon to the 'ol pro tools and computer editing. i love recording, you can just do so much

Do you have anything you can post? I'd love to hear it. I promise to post a song or two as soon as I get my new gear up and running. Of course...until I can get the "attachment" problem fixed you can e-mail me if you like...
i have limits with computers also, i'll try to get one of my friends to help me convert my stuff to Mp3's and see if i can post some songs but if not i can always get some address or p.o. box from you to send a c.d. to

• 1 month later...

Speaking of Music...

Sounds like Freethinker started playing about the same time I did. Where has the time gone? You'd think I'd be a heck of a lot better than I am after all this time; not to mention equipment! I've had (at last count) about 26 or 7...(?) guitars throughout my years of atempting to actually play something worth listening to.

I suppose I used to think "if I just had that guitar, then I could play like Jimmy Page, or Allen Holdsworth, or Phil Keggy, or Allen Collins...(the list goes on). I spent more time trying to get the perfect guitar than I did practicing.

Untill I got married and had no more money to frivolously squander on such unnecessities, and no more electric guitar ---

I was jonesin' to get my hands on a new guitar of my own - the perfect one this time! (for sure!) so I could really learn to play better...

So I built my own out of oak pallets.

Took some decent looking old pallets home from work (at a print shop that recieved heavy reams of paper on them), pulled them appart, traced a Less Paul sillouette at a friends music store, (cause I figured if you're gonna build a guitar, that's the one to copy) cut em' up, glued em' back together; a lot of love and a couple of monthes later I had the worlds heaviest guitar! But it plays perfect. I'll have to send you a picture. It's basically indestructable! - and with perfect action!

It's one of a kind; and I really am playing better now! But I'm still no pro.

• 2 weeks later...

This about the best picture I could get with the little digital camera that I have, (modified in photoshop). I think the camera came out of a box of crackerjacks; but it was free with some offer.

You can kind of make out the strips of wood. The neck was more than I could get in the picture, but it is inlayed with brass fretmarkers which have the letters my name stamped on them progressively up the neck.The pick-ups have brass mounting rings and brass cancovers over them. The oak has only a good coat of clear over it so that not only can you appreciate all the woodgrain, but you can see the nail prints where the slats were nailed together. It has the first letter of my last name goldleafed on the headstock, as well as having a single strip of the wood goldleafed the entire length of the body right above the volume/tone knobs.

You really can't make out the star, but aside from the main out, it actually has a built in ampliier which I wired from a schematic that I found on the web, and routed out enough of the back to install it. the speaker grill is approximately 30- 40 holes drilled straight through from the face in the shape of a star. I made that pattern in Illustrator because I didn't want to get too haphazard when drilling that many little holes; so it is very clean. It also has a distortion button. I've got it wired so that when the built in amplifier is turned on, the signal goes to that speaker (which is mylar to avoid rot); but when the b.i. amplifier is off, the signal automatically goes out to the main line.

You can barely make out the little gold plated accoustic guitar emblem on the tip of the cut-away, and it has a 3-d Jesus on-a-cross holligram next to the LED indicator for the internal amp.

If you notice; the pattern of the volume/tone knobs is backwards from a less paul because I diddn't have a picture of one with me when I drilled and routed that portion, so I just did it the way I thought it looked best.

• 1 month later...

my guitar rig:

i play on 1972 fender telecaster deluxe reissue. (this is the model with the fat strat neck and humbuckers)

i also have a fender accoustic resonator. it generates a beautiful tone that is very unique to this type of guitar.

i have two basses, one is a 52' fender p-bass (vintage) and the other is a fender jazz bass. i know, i'm a fender man, i just love the way they look and play.

i play everything through an older model ampeg bass combo amp. its a tube state combo, which i'm not sure but i don't think is very common for a bass amps. this is what probably adds the best tone when i'm playing guitar through it.

i also have tons of pedals. my favorites are my big muff pie distortion pedal and my boss digital delay. i am considering saving up my money again and purchasing a vox amp with built in digital effects.

i have been playing guitar for about 7 years now.

• 5 months later...

hey i never knew this thread existed, woohoo!

well let's see here.......

350w marshall mode 4 head and 400w cab

5w marshall ministack amp :naughty:

gibson les paul standard light burst (my baby)

gibson gothic flying v with emg's (my broken old replaced baby)

and a classical guitar without a name, and an acoustic that i don't know who made it.

now for my passion, my effects...

boss gt-6 multi fx processor (which i use as a bus and can control the mix with a knob on my amp)

dunlop hendrix wah

boss dd-3 digital delay

boss stereo flanger

moogerfooger ring modulator (with 3 expression pedals for the mix, frequency, and rate)

and well, i had an ebow. but i put it on ebay.