Science Forums

Guitar Rig

I've been playing classical and electric guitar since around 1982, and lately I've began looking into digital music production.

I own a GuitarPort from Line6, which is quite okay for recording guitar into the computer. My main guitar is an Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette.

I have been using an old guitar synth (Roland GR-1) to play soft synths like Absynth 2 from a company called Native Instruments.

They recently released a brand new product which is very interesting - it's called Guitar Rig.

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?guitarrig_us

It is a software/hardware combination which is supposed to work equally well for studio and live work.

Listen to the samples on the page - it's really quite stunning.

I know there are other guitarists here - what kind of guitars/equipment do you guys use? What style of music?

Tormod

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya well, .... I have only been dealing with threads that appear on the home page and Moderator.

Yes, I play guitar. Have since pre-teen days (yes they had guitars back then). But I have not done any interfacing to my computer. Not even d/l'ing tab.

As to equipment, I have an Epiphone (Gibson) don;t know the specific model. A small practice amp I use the most (to jam with tunes) and a Crate for LTD. I use a distortion pedal and phaser, both MXR's. I use the phaser at low rate to provide additional overtones to make the guitar sound more "accoustic".

My musical tastes lean towards Blues/ Rock. Some Jazz mainly fusion. And early rock, Stones, Hendrix, Van Morrison, Hollies, CSN, Allman Bros, Lou Reed, Leonard Cohen, ...

My eldest son is also a guitar player. With my direction, he has learned the benefits of Tube sound. Wish I could afford to! lol.

I got into digital music production about a year ago. I'm no wizard, but it is immense fun. Since I am an honest guy I actually purchase the software I use as well...

It's quite fun to use an old midi guitar controller to control soft synths on the computer, and make my guitar sound like a sick saxophone played by a drunken monkey (no wait, that's my usual sound!)

But seriously, I have had to catch up a bit on accoustics and the technicalities of MIDI (I thought those days were long gone!), not to mention waveshapes, oscillators and the whole circus.

I own two soft-studios (FL Studio and Tracktion) and a couple of synths (Native Instruments' Absynth 2 is wicked fun). I connect my guitar via a GuitarPort from Line6 and it uses software to process the guitar signal and simulate amplifiers etc. Great, great fun. But it's an expensive hobby...

It feels like hard science sometimes...keeping up with everything new on the guitar front. So some nights it's good just to sit down with the old accoustic guitar and forget everything about bits and bytes.

But if anyone feel like giving me a birthday present, make sure it's the Guitar Rig!

Tormod

Originally posted by: Freethinker

Ya well, .... I have only been dealing with threads that appear on the home page and Moderator.

I may have assumed incorrectly, but I thought you may enjoy livening things up a bit in the "dysgenics" thread, in case you maybe aren't aware of it. You know, that certain thing only you can do to provoke some heated debate? Also, I wonder why nobody wants to discuss stem cell research. I thought both of these would be good topics. Why only the home page, most recent posts? You are missing much that way.

Originally posted by: Freethinker

My musical tastes lean towards Blues/ Rock. Some Jazz mainly fusion. And early rock, Stones, Hendrix, Van Morrison, Hollies, CSN, Allman Bros, Lou Reed, Leonard Cohen, ...

I am a big fan of fusion. My favorite guitar player is John Scofield...I saw him live a couple of years ago here in Oslo and he just blew me away. Great player.

If you like fusion, I had a chance to hear an old fusion player a few months ago. In fact, the term Fusion was first used to describe his concert performance. He represents the first time the term fusion was used to describe a musical style. He was using the name he had used in the 60/70's. But no original members. Instead the drummer was his son. The vocalist was his daughter. And they had a bass player... :-)

OK, enough playing around, the name is

Brian Auger and the Oblivion Express.

http://www.brianauger.com

P.S. Oh ya, he was still incredible.

Duh...now I feel stupid. Don't have a single one of his records. I thought fusion was coined by Miles Davis in the 50s...oh well.

Impressive discography. I've heard lots of the other musicians he's played with so I must have heard him some time, too...

Tormod

Although I have not heard all of his stuff, if his personal opinion is reflected by his play list while touring, the two "must have" CD's wouyld be "Street Noise" (with Julie Driscol, you ahve got to hear her vocal capabilties to appreciate how incredible her talent is, and his daughter did a fair job of duplicating it) and "Closer to it". His version of "Compared to what?", a classic and great basis for comparison, is an absolute killer! Just the thought of it sends shivers....

Yet he is almost obscure at this point. When I saw him it was in a small local club and there were less than 50 people there. Though I hear he does far better in Europe.

I remember when I saw he was coming to town. I wanted to go. I needed to play some of his stuff to my Lady so she would be interested in going. All I had was Vinyl with no functional ttble at the time. So I tried Winmx, no luck! Not a single song anywhere! His stuff did not exist out there! Incredible that the person that invented Fusion was no-existant! She had to just accept my recommendation. She was blown away!

Amazing how some incredible talents just never make the big time!

• 1 month later...

I don't know that I would have ever guessed this about you FreeT... Just another of the many things we have in common. On the only other site i've ever posted to regularly, my nic was "moondancer".

I actually considered trying to plan the HC around the dates of a European Van concert, but wasn't sure if anyone else would be even mildly interested. He sings my all time favorite song, as well as about 4 others on my Top10 list... I'm just a VanFan!