Science Forums

Are video games evil?

dudeitsme

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the surgery itself aint painfull caus u are drugged for life the pain comes afterwords so like no that aint evil... and taking drugs away from an addict yeah that is evil if the man/woman wants to kill itself then so be it u can take the drugs from the person but u cant take the person from the drugs (H)

try to beat that smartass

Nah. That's okay. Maybe next time though?

Me... a smartass? Well, I never... hmmmppfff. :naughty:

Even if it causes certain good qualities, such as improved hand eye coordination, but causes other bad traits, such as laziness or disobedience to parents then they are bad. You cannot deny that playing video games has an effect on everyone. If nothing else it reduces the positive things that they could be doing instead.

Bold added by me for emphasis...

First I would disagree that video games can cause bad behavior. Yes, playing video games does effect people, just as any other action has an effect on the person.

If you take your supposition to it's logical conclusion, ANY entertainment that has any negative aspects to it is evil. I can't go quite that far:D

As for violence, I remember playing cops and robbers as a kid. Running around outside, lots of fresh air, aiming toys that looked liked guns and shooting your friends!!

Entertainment that is 'play violence' have been around since mankind has had leisure time. This is nothing new. I believe it is a part of our society (but that is another thread I suspect).

What is important is that people are taught, and understand that it is PLAY and not acceptable behavior. There are always a few that don't understand this, and may 'learn' from the entertainment (perhaps Jack the Ripper played violent games). Those people, I would argue, would end up doing 'evil' things with or without the games/entertainment.

Mark

Bold added by me for emphasis...

First I would disagree that video games can cause bad behavior. Yes, playing video games does effect people, just as any other action has an effect on the person.

If you take your supposition to it's logical conclusion, ANY entertainment that has any negative aspects to it is evil. I can't go quite that far:D

Mark

Like Is This The Biggest Diss Ever nice going man i got to agree on your words

the surgery itself aint painfull caus u are drugged for life the pain comes afterwords so like no that aint evil... and taking drugs away from an addict yeah that is evil if the man/woman wants to kill itself then so be it u can take the drugs from the person but u cant take the person from the drugs (H)

try to beat that smartass

First off I have to say. Yes I would like you to change your writing/typing skills. I think we have all said at one time or another that IM is evil because it results in typing like yours.

If you take your supposition to it's logical conclusion, ANY entertainment that has any negative aspects to it is evil. I can't go quite that far.

You can't? Of course, we would be talking about different shades of grey here, but you can't say that if something has a negative aspect to it that it is evil?

Well, I don't know how far to go with that either. That would take considerable deep thought.

Are all video games bad? I don't believe that can ever be firmly established. Often the effects of something are not known until many years after the fact. Maybe these v-smile game stations that kids are using will cause them to be completely idiotic when it comes to thinking outside the box. Then I have no doubt that there will be some sort of public backlash. Afterall, look at vaccinations for polio et all that have happened for the last 40 or so years. Today we have law suits stating that those vaccinations cause brain damage and autism. At the time, they were considered wonder cures and they greatly improved the health of the world.

As far as violence in video games, the position was taken that there have been violent games since the dawn of time (well if you are a creationist then you would disagree with that, but you'd have to agree it wasn't too long after the beginning of human civiliation) and that

What is important is that people are taught, and understand that it is PLAY and not acceptable behavior. There are always a few that don't understand this, and may 'learn' from the entertainment (perhaps Jack the Ripper played violent games). Those people, I would argue, would end up doing 'evil' things with or without the games/entertainment

I have to say that I don't believe you have thought this through to its conclusion. Ever since man (or Cain) killed, then there has been a perpensity for violence. We then began teaching our children how to react violently to situations that themselves were violent, or to react violently when something didn't go our way. Some have begun to take the opposite step: To never react violently, as violence cannot solve the problem of violence, it just perpetuates it.

Thus having thought that thought, we realize that violent video games are the same. They teach violent answers as solutions to problems. This in and of itself (if you consider violence to be an evil thing) is also evil.

You can't? Of course, we would be talking about different shades of grey here, but you can't say that if something has a negative aspect to it that it is evil?

Well, I don't know how far to go with that either. That would take considerable deep thought.

No, I can't, or perhaps a more accurate word would be "wouldn't"

Some things with negative and/or violent aspects to them are not only not evil, I would say they are good:)

For example, someone dislocates their shoulder. To correct the issue and make their arm useful again, it is corrected by violently resetting the shoulder in it's socket. This is violent, and painful, but returns the arm to usefulness.

I as an example, take blood tests and insulin injections daily. These actions are painful and so has a negative aspect to them. They also allow me to live, so while I don't like the pain, I enjoy the results and would consider them good.

Thus having thought that thought, we realize that violent video games are the same. They teach violent answers as solutions to problems. This in and of itself (if you consider violence to be an evil thing) is also evil.

From what you say, I think you are saying all violence is evil.

I would propose that is not the case. This disagreement at the foundation of your argument makes the distinction of the specific media involved rather moot. Perhaps a discussion about that (all violence is evil) would be a better place to start?

I as an example, take blood tests and insulin injections daily. These actions are painful and so has a negative aspect to them.

Oh, come on... they're not that bad. Use the ultra-fine lancet and those syringes? I've dropped one into my foot before and barely felt it, and I don't even suffer from neuropathy yet! :)

Just giving you a hard time. Time to cowboy up, sonny! Anyway, good continuation of my analogy.

Cheers. :eek2:

Oh, come on... they're not that bad. Use the ultra-fine lancet and those syringes? I've dropped one into my foot before and barely felt it, and I don't even suffer from neuropathy yet! :)

Just giving you a hard time. Time to cowboy up, sonny! Anyway, good continuation of my analogy.

Cheers. :eek2:

Oh no, I agree, they aren't that bad (except for the occasional injection where I hit a nerve dead on:)). And that pain is far less than many other forms of pain that are actually good for you:D

• 3 years later...

I belive that there are a few groups of people who react differently to video games. I play tons of computer games and I belive that peace IS the answer for the world. I still would like there to be violent video games but thats for another day. I am quicker to anger than some but I can control myself :-)

Then there are people who have imbalances, and mental problems. These people might interpret video games differently than most, maybe even beliving them to be real, or not being able to separate them from reality. These are the people who need very strict supervison, unfortunatly most go undiagnosted until they do something.

Last there are people who need to be taught that you can do stuff in video games that you can't do in reality.

These are the groups I belive populate the video game world.

And why would video games be evil? That is propaganda.

• 4 months later...