Science Forums

Gene Therapy and ACL reconstruction

Nootropic

I recently had my ACL reconstructed using a Patellar Tendon autograft. As custom goes with my mind, I had the insatiable and natural urge to find out exactly what my surgeon was going to do to my knee. Attempting, but failing, to find out every possible detail, I came across an article discussing gene therapy and ACLs. It wasn't exactly clear as to whether it would be necessary to perform the surgery and use gene therapy or whether it alluded to the possibility of just removing the ACL and recieving periodic gene therapy in order to stimulate the growth of a new ACL.

My question pertains to the sheer possibility of growing a new ACL via gene therapy. I also came across a new muscle-building supplement that claimed to build muscle by activating certain genes. Although I can't verify their claims are completely accurate, it would probably have to have some certain truth or they could possibly be cited for false advertising. Although ligaments are a vastly different compositin than muscles, could it be a possibility?

Nootropic,

I'm taking Care and Prevention of Atletic Injuries right now at my college.

Sorry to hear about your ACL. :cup:

Its a common, yet serious injury as you well know. I'm sure the Doctor has told you what you need to know already, so I'll spare you my knowledge on the topic...

How did you tear it? you probably felt and heard a "pop" followed by rapid swelling and pain....

Are you wearing a brace?

Make sure you rehab completely, or you might suffer from serious knee instability. :singer:

To answer your question: Physicians are still divided as to best treat this injury. It depends on the severity. I think Gene therapy could be used someday, getting the osteoblast cells or fibroblast cells or whatever cells to grow a new ligament or tendon. But unfortunately I don't think that will happen in time to help you. I'm sure it a decade or so away.

Meanwhile, hope you recover well...

Oh, your supplement...

I think I heard about it.. It's supposed to blow all other supplements away as far as muscle building goes. I'm not sure who makes it, Is it 'Muscle Tech'? or EAS? not sure.

Too early to tell, but giving it a shot probably couldn't hurt.

If it works, great! if not, you made a $50 -100 mistake..

... It's supposed to blow all other supplements away as far as muscle building goes. I'm not sure who makes it, Is it 'Muscle Tech'? or EAS? …
EAS and MuscleTech are vendors of creatine. Creatine is an amazing and safe supplement. It has a scientifically verified, though modest, effect on gaining strength through exercise, as well as immediate muscular strength. At least one study suggest it increases intelligence slightly.

I know a lot of laborers who swear it relieves muscular pain and exhaustion.

It’s metabolic effect is well known. Although it doesn’t “activate genes”, nor directly cause tendon tissue growth, its beneficial effects on muscle tissue could possibly aid in the recovery from a tendon injury.

On the contrary, it is actually MuscleTech who is the producer of this new supplement, which goes by the name of Anator p70 (presumably some "muscle regulating" gene). Here is MuscleTech's website for the ad: http://www.muscletech.com/PRODUCTS/ANATOR/index.shtml

As for my ACL, well, when I say recently, it was about three and half months ago. Not only that, I managed to tear as a meniscus. Huzzah for multiple knee surgeries. And atually, there was no swelling or loss of range of motion after I tore. In fact, there was nearly nothing that would have given rise to any concern—even to the athletic trainer. Although I'm pretty sure he did not perform the Lachman's Test, which I really don't know why because I told him it popped (all I had managed to do was twist my left foot the wrong and try to cut to quickly). He insisted it was my plica underneath my kneecap or something to that matter. So of course I was quick to believe him(and I had actually thought I tore my ACL when I first heard it pop), not wanting to actually believe I tore my ACL. So I returned to practice and my knee felt really unstalbe. So of course I did the smart thing and kept playing and that's when my knee gave out and my meniscus was torn. And that's where the trouble began...

So my surgeon diagnosed me as a just a medial meniscus tear and had scheduled me for surgery two days later. Upon recieving my MRI results she also managed to find an ACL tear and affirmed that discovery upon my meniscal repair. How exciting. So...another surgery. However, after my meniscal repair I was in extreme pain and didn't start my exercises for two or three days. And even that, I slacked on them, not doing them very often. Arthrofibrosis is not a kind phenomena and caused me to lose extension and likewise my quads shriveled up from not being moved. So my ACL surgery was delayed while I went to therapy to regain range of motion and quadricep tone. So about three and half months later I still do not have full range of motion (about a degree or two on extension and ten on flexion). I was also on crutches forever (ten weeks = forever) and was braced for a while. So the moral of the story is to not tear your ACL and to DO YOUR EXERCISES. So a rather lengthy answer to your questions, but this topic did start from my own personal experience, so why not share! (note the sarcasm)

On the contrary, it is actually MuscleTech who is the producer of this new supplement, which goes by the name of Anator p70 (presumably some "muscle regulating" gene).
Nootropic and Racoon, I stand corrected.

This is interesting information. I can’t find much information about “Anator p70” beyond the MuscleTech advertisement, but hope some is forthcoming.

Best wishes for your recovery and rehabilitation, Nootropic. Trauma sucks.

I can't say I know how this Anator works, but it's active ingredients are fairly well documented.

"p70S6 kinase signals cell survival as well as growth, inactivating the pro-apoptotic molecule BAD"

"mTOR (mammalian target of Rapamycin), "... "also named FKBP12 rapamycin-associated protein (FRAP/RAFT/RAPT/SEP)"

Myostatin inhibitors, a different but similar topic, are pritty much proven to work, even if bodybuilder suppliment companies don't all know how to make a batch of Myostatin inhibitors properly. You just need to be transgenic to get all the benifits, but I'm shure some wacko will make a retrovirus to help us un-genegenered folks.

I hope that helps somewhat. :Waldo:

Nootropic,

Quad muscles can really atrophy fast when you're immobilized. Especially the Vastus Medialis.

Because your range of motion is limited, what you may want to do is to simply flex your thigh. Like you would tighten your abs without moving. Contract the muscles like you were flexing them.

The isometric contractions will keep up neurological pathways while stimulating the muscle, with little risk of endangering the recovery

While once again browsing the topic of ACL reconstruction, I managed to find an article about ligament healing called "prolotherapy." Apparently it is not a common form of therapy used to treat chronic pain, but its nonethless interesting. Granted you have to have a ligament before prolotherapy is undertaken, it's a relatively unheard of treatment, so far as the article mentions.

http://www.diagnose-me.com/treat/T85233.html