Science Forums

Deja Vu

Interesting subject. I've experienced alot of Deja Vu throughout my life and read several synopses on it's causes including the one mentioned by you Drip. :hihi:

The most interesting theory I've found is related to quantum physics or what some scientists labeled "time-reversal".

I used to have alot of info on time-reversal theories saved in my favorites, but like all things on this damn computer, they seem to have disappeared.

Anyway, heres a short quote from one article that escaped my Compaq's blackhole:

While some exotic physical realms are clearly outside the scope of human experience, others are not. Under the right conditions, for example, we can perceive single quantum events, and neuronal synapses rely on electron “tunneling,” a quantum effect that allows electrons to jump across forbidden energy zones (Hameroff, 1998; Wolf, 1999).

We are not ordinarily aware of quantum or relativistic effects, but we are nevertheless composed of the same fabric of the universe as rocks, stars and blackholes. Thus, it is conceivable that exotic time -loops, reversals, symmetries and acausal correlations may lurk deep within us. If this were so, how might such experiences manifest?

Consciously, they may emerge as precognitions of future events. And

unconsciously, perhaps they would be experienced as intuitive hunches, gut

feelings, and synchronicities.

While I tend to believe (experienced) in time-reversal events like Deja Vu, precognition, etc. some of the evidence for a brain-time lag does seem to hold some water too.

On a similiar subject;

I'm not sure what others would call it, but a few years ago while reading a book, I suddenly saw a very vivid visual of my daughter getting in a car wreck. I pleaded with her and all her friends not to get in a car for a few days until the horrible feeling and vision passed, but like most teenagers, she didn't listen and they all thought I was losing it. The next day, a friend rushed in my door in tears.

Sure enough, just two blocks away the car she was in had lost control went thru a barracade and was hanging over a ravene with a 40 foot drop into an canal. She walked away with minor injuries thankfully, but has never questioned my "time-reversal" or instincts if you will since.

People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.

– Albert Einstein

Well, they both are (from everything I can tell, although I might be mistaken) highly related to memory and/or the memory complex within the brain system. What do you mean by "sight and sense?" Sight IS a sense... You mean smell? Request for clarification (as if that were easy to do in a thread about deja vu :hihi: )

Smell. (Oops!)

That experiment was something like this: a person is given a phial to inhale the perfume in it, and is then asked to descript what first comes to mind. Then, of course, the results were variable; interesting, nonetheless.

While some exotic physical realms are clearly outside the scope of human experience, others are not. Under the right conditions, for example, we can perceive single quantum events, and neuronal synapses rely on electron “tunneling,” a quantum effect that allows electrons to jump across forbidden energy zones (Hameroff, 1998; Wolf, 1999).

We are not ordinarily aware of quantum or relativistic effects, but we are nevertheless composed of the same fabric of the universe as rocks, stars and blackholes. Thus, it is conceivable that exotic time -loops, reversals, symmetries and acausal correlations may lurk deep within us. If this were so, how might such experiences manifest?

Consciously, they may emerge as precognitions of future events. And

unconsciously, perhaps they would be experienced as intuitive hunches, gut

feelings, and synchronicities.

hm.... so, correct me if I'm wrong.... but is this suggesting that most of human perception is not equiped to percieve the quantum realm.... but Deja Vu might be a glimpse of a quantum event. Almost like a glitch in our reality that ultimates with a peak at some weird quantum reality?

The most interesting theory I've found is related to quantum physics or what some scientists labeled "time-reversal".

You know, DCM, Celeste's quote made me have another thought...

Potentially, if there is any validity in the Many Worlds Interpretation, where each reality exists... all possibilities... then maybe deja vu is some sort of overlap.

There are too many "ifs" in the statement, but I find it an intersting idea.

• 4 weeks later...
You know, DCM, Celeste's quote made me have another thought...

Potentially, if there is any validity in the Many Worlds Interpretation, where each reality exists... all possibilities... then maybe deja vu is some sort of overlap.

There are too many "ifs" in the statement, but I find it an intersting idea.

I'm in over my head. I need to read more stephen hawking

• 3 months later...

Well... back to deja vu.... lol.

I believe that the idea of deja vu originated with dreams.

Have you ever woken up, and felt like "hey, i have had that exact dream before in the past..."

Well, deja vu offers the explanation that maybe you have not really had that dream before, your brain simply "invented" the other experience.

I believe that is why you can never really tell if you have re-experienced a dream. It is probably just deja vu.

Any other thoughts?

Huh, before I read that I had a similar idea.

When you think about something the nuerons send out messages. But Deja Vu splits that nueron so you get the same image twice with millsecond delay. So you think you experienced it. SInce nuerons are basicly electric energy, they can split either onto two different reciving nerve or just break into when making a fast turn in the brain.

Eh nevermind, that makes little to no sense. But it just a thought.

Okay...

When you think about something the nuerons send out messages.

To clarify, neurons are responsible for signal transmission. When one is excited, it tends to excite those around it, connected by dendrites (think little branches), by a chemical process involving sodium and potassium. When the chemicals change enough, the next cell fires and on propogates the response. They don't technically send out "messages," just on off signals which are interpretted elsewhere in aggregate.

But Deja Vu splits that nueron so you get the same image twice with millsecond delay. So you think you experienced it.

Your post makes it sound as if Deja Vu is a swordsman in our nerve cells cutting them in half. I imagine that is not what you meant. However, I have no idea what you meant, and hope you can elaborate on the above.

SInce nuerons are basicly electric energy,

Actually, neurons are basically cells, cells which use chemicals to induce electric differentials to propogate a signal.

they can split either onto two different reciving nerve

Huh? :confused:

or just break into when making a fast turn in the brain.

Huh? :confused:

Eh nevermind, that makes little to no sense. But it just a thought.

Why did you hit submit?