Science Forums

Deja Vu

I've heard that Deja Vu is when one side of our brain slows down, so we process whatever is going on at the time in two different segments(once for each side of your brain). But why is it that we percieve this glitch in the manner that we do? Why is it an "oh, my, I think I've done this before" feeling rather than an "oh my, oh my.... that just happened twice" sort of thing.

It's obvious that humans have some sort of natural sense of time. If we didn't, musicians wouldn't be able to play on beat, ya know? And even when we have Deja Vu, we still maintain that sense of time... we experience something once(seemingly) and it seems really familiar.... but we actually processed the event twice. It seems more logical that the scenerio would repeat in our head, almost like viewing the same video clip twice in a row.

I mean... why is it that we can't pinpoint the fact that we are just experiencing the same thing twice in a row...?? What makes everything seem so stable all the time?

I'm assuming it has something to do with each side of our brain processing a different half of our reality. and when the two get split up like that, they just end up barely overlaping eachother and the human mind just needs a second to put the two together, to create a realistic reality... and your brain in the process of putting both halfs together is what gives us that weird "hasn't this happened before" feeling. But that's just an uneducated guess.:hihi:

does anyone know anything about this/have any idea for what might cause this?

Kidding...

I like your concept of the whole "each side of brain processing differently..." but am not sure what that might lead to.

Whenever I've felt deja vu (already seen), I've associated it with a dream I had. Like even months or years previous... It had something to do with the layout of things... the overall sense of the place.

Anyone else had similar experience?

Whenever I've felt deja vu (already seen), I've associated it with a dream I had. Like even months or years previous... It had something to do with the layout of things... the overall sense of the place.

Anyone else had similar experience?

yeah, I've felt that before. but i can never specifically remember the dream well enough to consider it something that I've experienced in a dream.

Deja Vu is strange. I had a bunch of Deja Vu about an hour ago, when I woke up. I was listening to radiohead... and it was driving me insane, having so much deja vu in a row. It didn't stop until I ate some breakfast.

"from there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere!" -Dr. Seuss

yeah, I've felt that before. but i can never specifically remember the dream well enough to consider it something that I've experienced in a dream.

As some recent threads in the forum have discussed recently, dreams by their very nature are tough to remember... since they play such an integral role in memory and organization of memories.

It used to happen a lot more often when I was a kid. Also, during really traumtic events... like there was a bigger stamp or impact associated with such an event. Like a memory-based gravity well...

I also noticed it when I used to trip (years and years and years ago). I would feel it during the experience and more often a few days and weeks after. However, I ruled this out as the cause of the feeling because it happened more as a kid (clearly... nothing to do with tripping then), and has also occassionally since...

I'd be willing to bet that more people than not have had an experience such as this... and that each of them will have a tough time trying to explain what it was.

The article discusses some potentially overactive circuit in the temporal lobe in conjunction with some hypothalamal areas which govern memory. It's interesting that the temporal lobe is also associated with time perception.

Interestingly also, when people have deep religious/spiritual/whatever experiences, and feel this connection to a greater being, it's generally a few very specific areas in the temporal lobe which are most active.

"Where does he get those wonderful toys?" asks Jack Nicholson's Joker in Tim Burton's Batman.

...as does InfiniteNow of C1ay's awesome articles...

Ahh, childhood, I'm glad you brought that up. I can definately remember feeling the dream like deja vu association as a kid. Everything from my childhood seemed more dream oriented- perhaps because my head was constantly in the clouds.

And I've actually talked to my friends about feeling Deja Vu while tripping.

It seems to me, that while I trip, I get pulses of Deja Vu and then Jamais Vu.

ahhh, life=weird.

I'm probably gonna have to read into this a little more before I start actually debating about it. I thought that the one side of the brain slowing down thing was already a proven fact- but maybe I'm wrong. I can't remember where i got that information.

on any note- YEEEARRRRRRGGG, I'm a pirate.:hihi:

jamais vu is interesting as well.

I experience Jamais Vu whenever I enter my room.

Seriously.

even though I've been in my room like 234523472745131246237 times.

It always seems new. everytime I enter.

Perhaps it's because of all the weird lava lamps and black lights.

I can never get used to the atmosphere.

almost.... dare I say.... TOO trippy.

I got it from a documentary film that déjà vu could perhaps be induced by sight and sense. Wait, I am probably associating déjà vu with nostalgia… :hihi:

Is there is relationship, or rather, the differences, between this two?

Well, they both are (from everything I can tell, although I might be mistaken) highly related to memory and/or the memory complex within the brain system. What do you mean by "sight and sense?" Sight IS a sense... You mean smell? Request for clarification (as if that were easy to do in a thread about deja vu :) )