Science Forums

Muhammed drawings and free speech

Tormod

Well, not everything is fun.

(CNN) -- Eleven people were killed and an Italian consulate was burned in Libya on Friday night during protests to denounce the publication of cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammed, sources in Libya said.

There also was a "high number" of injuries, said an official with the Italian Embassy in Tripoli.

In the port city of Benghazi in northeast Libya, protesters set the Italian Consulate on fire, but it was safely evacuated and no employees were injured, said Francesco Trupiano, Italy's ambassador to Libya.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/africa/02/17/libya.cartoons/index.html

Well, there we go. The whole world turning into a ball of camel spittle.

In Nigeria, 45 people died because a bunch o'people decided to turn violent against Christians in general, using cartoons as published months ago in an obscure Danish newspaper half a world away as an excuse to vent their suppressed anger.

I have had it with this stupidity.

Just now some idjit will club me over the head because someone decided to print the word "fart" in a tabloid published in Hawaii.

Is there a tiny corner in the world where rationality and common sense reigns supreme? If there is, please tell me where so that I can get my emigration papers ready...

In Nigeria, 45 people died because a bunch o'people decided to turn violent against Christians in general, using cartoons as published months ago in an obscure Danish newspaper half a world away as an excuse to vent their suppressed anger.

Quite interesting eh? Some independant newspaper, half a world away, not some government effort. Yet, the government of Iran publicly declares that the holocaust never happened, Israel should be wiped off the face of the map and Europe should reabsorb the jews and we see nary a protest against Iran anywhere in the world, much less one that is killing people. Can these Muslim extremists not see the hypocrites that they are.

Can these Muslim extremists not see the hypocrites that they are.

I'm thinking not. I read a story in this months Harpers about Burger King changing the way they draw their ice cream cones, because if you turn it on it's side it vaugely (very vaugely) resembles the Arabic script for "Allah."

http://www.jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatch/archives/008141.php

I consider myself officially bewildered. :lol:

TFS

Is there a tiny corner in the world where rationality and common sense reigns supreme? If there is, please tell me where so that I can get my emigration papers ready...
I don’t think such a place exists.

When I was a teenager, in the 1970s, eager to learn the practical ins-and-outs of civil protest, I joined a group protesting what seemed a pretty obvious evil: the South African government’s policy of apartheid. We basically located the offices of American businesses providing investment support to South Africa, and caused an attention-getting stir in front of them.

At one such protest, experimenting with my newly discovered power to whip up a protest crowd with chants, I realized that I had the crowd so with me that I could likely get them to pick up stones and demolish the windows of the building in front of us. Fortunately, I and others there toned things down, and no violence ensued, but the feeling in that moment remains among the spookiest in my life.

If a club of academically high-achieving teenagers can bring a randomly assembled crowd of ordinary US citizens to such a point, with no greater material support than some paint and poster board, I fear that no place in the world that allows even limited free speech and assembly can be free of the threat of mob insanity. Since giving up freedom for security seems a bargain for a blind man, I think we’d best just stay where we are, and try to provide a calming voice when things start getting too close to the edge.

I'm thinking not. I read a story in this months Harpers about Burger King changing the way they draw their ice cream cones, because if you turn it on it's side it vaugely (very vaugely) resembles the Arabic script for "Allah."

http://www.jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatch/archives/008141.php

I consider myself officially bewildered. :lol:

TFS

Unbelievable but its true. http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=1951292005

Well Burger King probably did the world a favor by caving in. I cannot imagine the chaos that would have resulted from leaving this blasphmous ice cream container top loose in the world to the offend some people.

Reminds me of the album burnings when the word satan was heard by some when they played an album backwards. It was a Led Zepplin song, but I cannot remember which song.

I think I will stop by Burger King tomorrow and ask for a cup of Allah Ice Cream to go. I hope they appreciate the sacrifice I will make to do this. Its a left turn on a busy road at rush hour....

The olympics are going, thousands of people are cheering on their representitives of their country, the atheletes. A race is on all kinds of different colored, religious, and geologically located people are smiling and cheering and feeling proud. Offering a hand to anyone in their path. Meanwhile this foolishness is going on, leaders of these countries are stocking up on their military equipment and personell, working out their plans on war stratagy and other talks wondering who to 'kill' in order to protect the people that make up the countries image and financial budget. All the while millions are watching the tv catching there favourite events with good sportsmanship between these oh so very different people.

It makes you wonder how some high percentage of the world can forget about killing eachother mearly just from the event of a short friendly games and competition. but hearing of people dieing and blowing up buildings just doesnt seem to create the need comradery of peace between humans of this planet.

alright, so who bombed what now..

If a club of academically high-achieving teenagers can bring a randomly assembled crowd of ordinary US citizens to such a point, with no greater material support than some paint and poster board, I fear that no place in the world that allows even limited free speech and assembly can be free of the threat of mob insanity. Since giving up freedom for security seems a bargain for a blind man, I think we’d best just stay where we are, and try to provide a calming voice when things start getting too close to the edge.
Now that is a good point.

And the ex-minister over here, apparently, is facing criminal charges according to the kind of laws I had mentioned.

Well, I guess the ideas of the Americans aren't all bad in the eyes of the fundamentalists...

Now anyone in Iran who wishes to order a delicious pastry also known as a danish must ask for a Rose of the Prophet Mohammed, and anyone selling them must call them by the same (according to the local confectioners union... no, I'm not kidding).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4724656.stm

So essentially, drawing a cartoon of the prophet is cause for murderous rage, but eating him in the form of a delicious pastry is A-OK...

Gimme a break!

:)

Freedom fries, anyone?

Unreal.

but eating him in the form of a delicious pastry is A-OK...
:) No, you're not eating the Prophet you're eating a rose.

It might be just as silly as the White House's antifrench retaliation but at least it's a non-violent reaction. :lol:

I even think it's a good idea. :D

I like it, I would nearly change that "just as" to "almost as". :eek:

• 3 weeks later...