Science Forums

Prophesy

TheBigDog

Tormod, I used to travel for a living, and on late night car rides beetween airport and hotel I listened to many hours of "Coast to Coast AM". Anyway, I used to hear all these wacky shows about prophesy, and thought; with today's technology we could record and time stamp predictions, make a searchable engine, and see if there is such a thing as precognition. A scientific approach to a dubious phenomena. So, where in Hypography would a thread for people recording their own prophesies be? Or does it even belong in Hypography?

My first prophesy... there will never be conclusive proof of precognition. Although some people will demonstrate statistical abnormalities in their accuracy, they will be too inconsistant to be considered proof.

Bill

What I thought was sort of interesting was the so-called prophet Nostradamus predicted the destruction of the "New" city. Maybe this was "New" Orleans.

Many people experience psychic type experiences but there is often no way to produce the result at will. I remember when I was younger and took a job down south, which I drove. I never wore seat belts, but I had this nagging premonition to put it on. I ignorred it for about 1/2 hour, as foolishness, until I started to feel nervous. So I put it on. A few minutes later I was part of a multiple car pile-up that totalled my 1.5 year old car. I remember when the crash was about to happen, time slowed down, so I put my hands up in the air to test the seat belt. I figured I would not have gotten the premonition, if I was suppose to get hurt. The seatbelt worked fine and I was totally uninjured. Actually nobody got injured in the pile-up. I remember right after the crash, wishing I had been going faster so I could have had a better test of the seat belt's capablity.

What I thought was sort of interesting was the so-called prophet Nostradamus predicted the destruction of the "New" city. Maybe this was "New" Orleans.

That is exaclty the point of starting a thread like this. There have been forged Nostradamus prophesies following modern disasters that have made their way around the world via the net. Let people list the prophesy in advance, not after the fact.

Bill

Anyway, I used to hear all these wacky shows about prophesy, and thought; with today's technology we could record and time stamp predictions, make a searchable engine, and see if there is such a thing as precognition.
The nearest thing like this of which I’m aware is CSICOP the publisher of “Skeptical Inquirer”. In addition to scientifically investigating claims of the paranormal, they keep tabs on some particularly explicit prophesies by well-known psychics such as Sylvia Brown. Skeptical Inquirer – available unfortunately only as a print journal – usually has a short article each year recounting the success of public prophesies for the previous year. To date, there haven’t no such prophesies have been successful.

Unfortunately, the CSICOP websites online and search resources are underwhelming. CSICOP is, however, a long-standing organization with resources dwarfing those of Hypography.

So, where in Hypography would a thread for people recording their own prophesies be? Or does it even belong in Hypography?
I think our time would be better spent not attempting to do such encyclopedic work here at Hypography, but rather become involved as individuals with organizations like CSICOP, time and enthusiasm permitting.

Another reason not to start such a database, is that, if the experience of CSICOP and similar organizations is any predictor, such an endeavor is likely to invite the wrath of a staggering number of people who strongly believe in the reality of prophesy and myriad other paranormal phenomena, when, as they almost certainly will, the data fails to confirm their heightened expectations.

I think the database TheBigDog suggest is a great idea :gift: but not one to be undertaken lightly, or here :surprise: