Science Forums

360 degree joints

sciman55

Even though this is way too impossible, I have a hard time visualizing this; what could a person with 360 degree joints (all joints) do?
He might have a hard time walking, and be energy inefficient at it. The “spring” effect that makes us fast and efficient walkers and runners is due to the system of tendons that stores energy while limiting the motion of our joints. Standing for long periods could be difficult, as well.

I suspect that most terrestrial animals have joints limited to about 150° or so because it increases their survival fitness.

Scientific American ran an article by S. Jay Olshansky, Bruce A. Carnes and Robert N. Butler a few years ago called ”If Humans Were Built to Last”in which they suggest many improvements to the human body, including some profound joint changes (though not as profound as 360° joints).

well, if all are 360 degree they could literally just rotate their elbows /knees and walk backwards...forwards, of course the head would have to spinaround Owl style if they wanted to see too.

Punch/kick directly 'behind' their back/head.

Pirouette while keeping one(or two if from the waist) foot firmly planted on the ground.

Be immune to 'Joint locks' martial artists use.

Grab 2 equill weights and start spinning their torso one way while their head/legs remains motionless: a walking gyro/top(or blender).

Scientific American ran an article by S. Jay Olshansky, Bruce A. Carnes and Robert N. Butler a few years ago called
in which they suggest many improvements to the human body, including some profound joint changes (though not as profound as 360° joints).

I remember reading that article when it first appeared. Strangely, the thought that has stayed with me (the first remembrance I had reading your post) is, "We would be some pretty strange and ugly looking mother f*kers if we were built to last!"

If we had 360 degree joints, we would likely not be bipedal, but traverse the landscape much like a soccer ball...