Science Forums

Evolution and Climate

pmaust

I was looking through the earth science forum and there is a discussion on Global Warming. I believe it was Linda who provided the following link. Check it out. http://www.scotese.com/climate.htm

One of the things that struck me was that the Cambrian period was a time of very warm temperatures compared with today. Pre-Cambrian cooler. I wonder if there is a corolation between global climate and evolutionary spurts ie Cambrian explosion et cetera?

Just a question I've not been smoking anything. :lol:

I was looking through the earth science forum and there is a discussion on Global Warming. I believe it was Linda who provided the following link. Check it out.

One of the things that struck me was that the Cambrian period was a time of very warm temperatures compared with today. Pre-Cambrian cooler. I wonder if there is a corolation between global climate and evolutionary spurts ie Cambrian explosion et cetera?

Just a question I've not been smoking anything. :)

There is most certainly a connection. Warmer (or cooler as appropriate) climate causes different plants to thrive... success of different plants causes different animals which eat said plants to thrive... success of those animals causes the bigger animals who eat those to thrive... which causes smaller organisms which use the animals as a host to thrive... which .... and on and on.

Just remember though, correlation does not prove causation. Just because two things are highly related does not mean one caused the other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spurious_relationship

An example of a spurious relationship can be illuminated examining a city's ice cream sales. These sales are highest when the city's rate of drownings is highest. To allege that ice cream sales cause drowning would be to imply a spurious relationship between the two. In reality, a heat wave may have caused both. The heat wave is an example of a hidden or unseen variable.

However, I guess I didn't do much to answer your question, and could just as easily have said, "Yes, I think so." :lol:

Cheers. :)

Just remember though, correlation does not prove causation. Just because two things are highly related does not mean one caused the other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spurious_relationship

However, I guess I didn't do much to answer your question, and could just as easily have said, "Yes, I think so." :)

Cheers. :lol:

Understood about the difference between correlation and causation. Good point. Actually, I was thinking along the lines that climatic conditions may act as an enabler of sorts rather than a causer. I've heard people ask, "why do we not see more evolution occuring now".... I've thought the same thing. We appear to be in a cooler part of the cycle. Perhaps if things heat up a bit, we may see some interesting changes. Maybe not. Just wondering out loud.

Thanks for your reply.

I've heard people ask, "why do we not see more evolution occuring now".... I've thought the same thing.

That's just it though. You see it all the time. It's forever occurring. You just might not recognize it, or perhaps you're trying to focus your attention in a way that occludes it. During the time it takes me to type this post, multiple species are going extinct and multiple species are springing into being. It's just that we are so conditioned to see things are our own particular pace that we have a tough time visualizing the change that is evolution.

In terms of the climatic cycles, that definitely plays a role. So many organisms are effected by even a one degree shift in global temperature, and we are usually talking "base of the food chain" type organisms. So any impact that effects them has a great impact on all other life forms... regardless of the the source of temperature change (i.e. natural vs. impact from humans).

As a more direct and palatable example, there are already polar bears dying because of temperature change.

"Thanks for your reply."

Thanks for raising the question. :lol:

Correct me here where appropriate as I try to increase my understanding.

Climatic conditions can change much more rapidly than biological change can keep up. So, many animals that have evolved and adapted to conditions as they exist now will go extinct as the climate begins to heat up. However, a sustained warmer and possibly wetter climate will create an opportunity for new species to emerge and evolve. Some plants and animals will survive the change and will bridge the gaps between warmer and cooler periods in earth history.

Does this seem reasonable?

Correct me here where appropriate as I try to increase my understanding.

Climatic conditions can change much more rapidly than biological change can keep up. So, many animals that have evolved and adapted to conditions as they exist now will go extinct as the climate begins to heat up. However, a sustained warmer and possibly wetter climate will create an opportunity for new species to emerge and evolve. Some plants and animals will survive the change and will bridge the gaps between warmer and cooler periods in earth history.

Does this seem reasonable?

Yes, but the rate of change as well as the extent of the temperature shift will play a dramatic role. Your point though, to me at least, sounds right on the money. Conditions that destroy one will be exploited by another.

Climatic conditions can change much more rapidly than biological change can keep up. So, many animals that have evolved and adapted to conditions as they exist now will go extinct as the climate begins to heat up. However, a sustained warmer and possibly wetter climate will create an opportunity for new species to emerge and evolve. Some plants and animals will survive the change and will bridge the gaps between warmer and cooler periods in earth history.QUOTE]

Possibly true. The big concern though that some of us have is that parties to symbiotic relationships will be lost too quickly for replacements to evolve. Some ecosystems are complex with multi nodal relationships and in some cases its a case of one gone all gone because of the flow on impact. InfiniteNow is right about the sensitive organisms at the bottom of the food chain. I am watching a coral reef die before my eyes because the water temperature is rising too fast for it to cope. Warmer water is not the only causality buet let me tell you its almost too hot to go into the water at the beach I am referring to. The coral is dying all the way up the coast in the span of less around 10 years.

Possibly true. The big concern though that some of us have is that parties to symbiotic relationships will be lost too quickly for replacements to evolve. Some ecosystems are complex with multi nodal relationships and in some cases its a case of one gone all gone because of the flow on impact. InfiniteNow is right about the sensitive organisms at the bottom of the food chain. I am watching a coral reef die before my eyes because the water temperature is rising too fast for it to cope. Warmer water is not the only causality buet let me tell you its almost too hot to go into the water at the beach I am referring to. The coral is dying all the way up the coast in the span of less around 10 years.

If the chart provided from the Paleomap Project is to be believed then, it wouldn't surprise me to see total decimation of entire ecosystems in affected areas. If you go back and review the chart you will see that time wise, temperature increases and drops occur pretty suddenly. :surprise: It also indicates that we are near the bottom temperature wise and starting the climb. Look at the dip between the Ordovicaian and Silurian periods for example. Another interesting feature of that chart is that it appears as though historically at least, the earth is generally warmer for longer periods of time than it is cooler.

What is the source of the heat that is killing off the coral reef? Nuclear or other type of plant nearby?????