Science Forums

Life prolongation

GUS

My opinion is that even if the human race achieves the technology needed for a substantial life prolongation the human mind is the boundary we will face next. I really don’t think that we could truly overcome the vast amount of experiences that we could aggregate through lets say 500 years. Our brains are just not prepared for something like this. In any case my vision of the future is not crawling around semi-catatonic, waiting my last 200 years to end.

PS: Please excuse my English , I post from Greece.

I cannot see why, given enough time, the problem of body deterioration and memory capacity could not be solved. For the body, an artificial one with the same movements and sensors would do as good as the natural one and if we could construct an artificial brain, in principle the limits to memory storage are very high. Note that I'm not saying that it would be possible within the next 100, 1000 or 5000 years, but who could imagine how far the knowledge and technology would get in 500 millions or 1 billion years? Can we say that something will not be possible in the next 10 billion years? Never is too much time to rule out something with a 100% certainty.

The superpopulation would not be a problem. I think that such an advanced civilization would have already dominated interestellar travel.

Can anyone imagine a difficulty that could not be surpassed given enough time? I believe that one should exist, but I could not think of any...

Regarding the “capacity” aspect of the problem under discussion, from my point of view it’s not about capacity at all. One could say that the problem lies in mans ability of manipulating all the accumulated experiences in a psychological manner. I really don’t think that we are able of something like that and I don’t see how we could one day overcome it. Let me give an example here: How many deaths of your beloved do you think you could tolerate? How many divorces , fights, illnesses, periods of depression etc.etc.?

I understand the psychological problems of living forever, but maybe it is just a matter of adaptation to a new situation. There are few persons that lose only one or two persons that they love: you lose your parents, sometimes brothers, sometimes grandparents and even then life still go on and you survive. Of course there are people who get depressed and end up with psychological problems, but you can treat it as well. But I'm only speculating, I'm not even a psychologist. Just an opinion.