Science Forums

Images and attachments - help, please!

CraigD

I'd like to include attachments I've uploaded in the body of a post. However, when I attempt to add an URL such as http://hypography.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=413 within IMG tags, I get this:

, which looks just like a URL withing URL tags.

When I use an URL that has a recognizable graphics file extension, such as http://hypography.com/forums/images/element/misc/logo_hypo.gif, I get the expected and desired image, this:

I’ve seen examples of images inserted neatly in posts, but don’t recall any that were to hypography attachments. Is this possible, or is there another technique I can use to get the effect I desire (other than uploading them as .gif etc. files on another web server)?

Any help would be appreciated.

The reason attachments can't be displayed with an IMG tag is that they are stored outside of the web folder for safety reasons - in case someone tries to upload a script or something else, it can't be run directly off the server. So the attachment.php script must be run. It is not because we're trying to be difficult.

The only way to use an image directly is either (as you say) host it somewhere else, or ask me nicely and get some gallery space. It costs $25 (our subscriptions include gallery space) but a PM to me might do the trick if you're short on cash. No, really - the gallery is one of our largest bandwith eaters for obvious reasons so we try to recover some of the costs. :lol:

Read about our subscriptions here:

• 1 year later...

There is a tool at the top of the reply to thread page that allows you to attach files as thumbnails on a post. There are limits to the size of these files. Below are two pictures showing where the control is located, and what the upload screen looks like. The upload screen included the file extensions that are allowed, along with the restrictions. There is a total amount of memory that a user is allowed to use for attachments, so be aware.

Bill

post-2294-128210094275_thumb.jpg

post-2294-128210094278_thumb.jpg