Science Forums

Phi

OpenMind5

Hey guys! I know you missed me! LOL But the time for rejoice and "Welcome Backs" will come. For now...I come seeking knowledge...and there is NO BETTER PLACE!

I want to learn about PHI :

I was wondering if someone here could break it down for me and explain to me starting at the basics and working its way up. Very interested.

TTYL

-OP5

Devine Porportions!

I did some research and from what I understand, this number is the universal number of perportions!

Measure from the top of your head to the floor and then divide that number by distance of your naval to the floor. GUESS WHAT NUMBER YOU WILL GET! PHI! HOLY COW! Devine Porportions!

Its that same with your shoulder to your finger tips divided by the distance from your finger tips to your elbow!

I am like sooo shocked right now!

Hey guys! I know you missed me! LOL But the time for rejoice and "Welcome Backs" will come. For now...I come seeking knowledge...and there is NO BETTER PLACE!

I want to learn about PHI :

I was wondering if someone here could break it down for me and explain to me starting at the basics and working its way up. Very interested.

TTYL

-OP5

I would recommend Mario Livio's lovely book, The Golden Ratio: the story of phi, the world's most astonishing number.

Phi- half the quantity of 1 plus the square root of 5- is not only irrational, it's the most irrational number, and keeps cropping up in the most unusual places.

Does no one else have anything to say on the matter?

___Nice to hear from you again OM5.:) In a star pentagon the ratio of the long edges of the star to the short edges of the generating pentagon is Phi. [the vesica piscis determines/defines two star pentagons near its ends which flank a central star hexagon] Also, the ratio of succesive Fibonacci Number pairs as you move up through the set approaches Phi.

[3/2:5/3:8/5:13/8;21/13:etc.]

PS http://hypography.com/forums/physics-mathematics/1902-vesica-piscis-real-sacred-geometry-2.html

Post #18 of the above thread has C1ay's simple derivation of the star pentagon on the vesica piscis.

:)

The seeds in an apple are spaced such that they're proportional to the golden ratio.

And also, if you divide two consecutive numbers in the Fibonacci suite, you will see that their ratio will converge to phi... now that's amazing.

They also talk about this phi in the Da Vinci's code, but the book by Mario Livio is also really good too.

The seeds in an apple are spaced such that they're proportional to the golden ratio.

___This arrangement in apples and in all plants is studied under the heading of phylotaxy. Cones from Conifers & Sunflowers provide interesting examples as well; counting the number of spirals of scales on cones or seeds in a flower head one always finds the number is a Fibonacci Number.

___Every plant has a phylotaxic ratio of Fibonacci Numbers when taking the number of leaves in one years growth as the numerator and the number of times round the stem they budded as the denominator. Maples for example have the ratio 2/1, making for a rather awkward approximation of Phi.:xparty: