1. 1. Who was God? (multiple choice)

• A great human being
    • An invention of human beings
    • God IS the Allmighty
    • I'm God
    • We are all Gods
    • We are all potential Gods

I just found this paragraph at Wikipedia just to support my theory:

"The word mythology (from the Greek mythología, from mythologein to relate myths, from mythos, meaning a narrative, and logos, meaning speech or argument) literally means the (oral) retelling of myths – stories that a particular culture believes to be true and that use the supernatural to interpret natural events and to explain the nature of the universe and humanity"

Who was God?

My Theory

Humans believed in many Gods. Most of them are no longer considered as Gods today, but as human myths.

So, who was God is my question, as my theory says I know who were most of these no longer considered Gods.

And I find it very simple, so I will just name a few:

Bacchus (also known as Dyonisus or Dyonisos) God of wine in Greek and Roman Mythology:

Bacchus was a regular guy like you and me who created wine. People told each other about that, and with thousands of years of tellings and exaggerations (it's in human nature), he became a God.

Poseidon (also known as Neptune) God of the Sea in Greek, Roman, and Etruscan mythology:

Poseidon was a regular guy like you and me who dominated the Sea in some way. Like probably being the first human in travelling by sea over a tree or something. Thus understanding how to dominate it, and of course by teaching it to others. Thousands of years of telling every time more exaggerated stories about him, made him a God.

Jesus (also known as Jesus Christ or Jesus of Nazareth) Son of God in Christian mythology:

Jesus was a regular guy like you and me who tried to teach about respect for each individual. He was probably treated like the son of God since he was born, for that made him believe it, and therefore be what he was, and convince the way he did. Two thousand years later, the bible still doesn't leave room for more exaggerations, so he's the Son of God.

So... Who was God?

God (also known as Jehova, Allah, and many others) Only God in Monotheistic mythologies:

God was a regular guy like you and me who used to teach other homosapiens how to be "humans". Most probably God and Allah (or others) were not the same guy, but they did very similar things. Thousands and thousands and thousands of years later, they were so important to humanity, their stories prevail, but we don't even know were they came from (their parent's).

Of course many of these "Gods" were old men with gray (or white) hair and long beards. And of course we (everybody, also Jesus, who didn't almost lie) are descendants of God, "sons" of God. If he (any) had children.

So... Who was God?

A great human being.

T0M

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post, TOM - and I think for the biggest part you're right on the money.

Mythology is, like you said, the exaggeration of pretty normal stories about pretty normal guys over generations of erroneous retelling. And the Bible and Koran and similar documents are just the longest-lasting examples of such.

Who was God?

I think 'God' was a fictitious personality right from the start, from people who looked around the natural world (and their own existence) and craved explanations. In an uneducated and superstitious world such as the world was a few thousand years ago, supernatural explanations for everyday things would suffice. And along with a supernatural being who has the power to create everything, comes power: He's also got the power to destroy everything. Therefore, moral authority as dished out by the prophets of the day came to be. And the penalty is severe: You'll burn for eternity after your death if you don't play by the rules. There's not much you can do about challenging that specific idea, is there?

Hence, the belief in God perpetuated over the years, based upon this fear of burning in hell. Up till this very day. Religion in itself, in my personal view, is a very interesting relic of our superstitious, ignorant past, that's passed the test of time for thousands of years because the prophets in the old days stumbled accross a marketing strategy that cannot be challenged. Other religions might have faded away, because their moral arguments aren't quite as compelling. Up till today, 'Fire and Brimstone' Televangelists make billions by exploiting a business method perfected thousands of years ago: Gimme you money or you'll burn in hell - after your death, for ever...

Ever wondered why this omnipotent being seems to alway run out of pocket change on Sundays?

Religion... ... is a very interesting relic of our superstitious, ignorant past, that's passed the test of time for thousands of years because the prophets in the old days stumbled accross a marketing strategy that cannot be challenged.

That's an amazing phrase. It deserves (and needs) to be read several times to be fully understood.

Ever wondered why this omnipotent being seems to always run out of pocket change on Sundays?

LOL Let's not mix mythology with church! These "God" stories were continued by caring people, and real believers. Church is just the bussiness some assholes saw to do with. And they steal SO MUCH that I'm sure that if I just had my parents telling me about God, I was still believing today.

So, Church plays against itself.

And by the way, Santa is a mistake. I started on doubting about God the very same day I realized that Santa was a lie.

Where's my rocket, Santa???

Again, Santa was a great guy who use to do just what they say he does, somewhere, in a small village.

I love this image, I loved it from the first time I saw it!

I saw this and I said: "Finally!! take that you MF!

T0M

Hence, the belief in God perpetuated over the years, based upon this fear of burning in hell. Up till this very day. Religion in itself, in my personal view, is a very interesting relic of our superstitious, ignorant past, that's passed the test of time for thousands of years because the prophets in the old days stumbled accross a marketing strategy that cannot be challenged. Other religions might have faded away, because their moral arguments aren't quite as compelling. Up till today, 'Fire and Brimstone' Televangelists make billions by exploiting a business method perfected thousands of years ago: Gimme you money or you'll burn in hell - after your death, for ever...

Ever wondered why this omnipotent being seems to alway run out of pocket change on Sundays?

Church is just the bussiness some assholes saw to do with. And they steal SO MUCH that I'm sure that if I just had my parents telling me about God, I was still believing today.

So, Church plays against itself.

See this is where you all make your mistake. That is to take a few examples and give up. The truth is you never stop searching for the truth in science just because people back then made some major mistakes. If Einstein were ever proven wrong in his GR and SR theories you would go on to believe that everything can be explained. Millions of people make billions of dollars every year by stealing ideas of others and turning them into moneymakers. Does that mean technology is evil and everyone should stop using it (bye bye hypography when no one uses a computer again.)

Hence, the belief in God perpetuated over the years, based upon this fear of burning in hell. Up till this very day. Religion in itself, in my personal view, is a very interesting relic of our superstitious, ignorant past, that's passed the test of time for thousands of years because the prophets in the old days stumbled accross a marketing strategy that cannot be challenged.

Hey you said it. It can't be challenged, so why do you persist.

If you really believe this then why is it that so many challenge it and have challenged it throughout the millenia?

How also do you explain prophecy of the Bible? Were these incredibly specific and accurate foretellings of future events just a dart throw in the dark. Those guys must have been really good because they hit the bulls-eye every time so far (as far as the Bible is concerned.)

I can't speak for the other religions, and leave that up to other members who are of those faiths.

About the only thing you've said so far that I agree with is that God (YWHW) wasn't a human. Of course, Jesus was a human. Many people think the Bible says Jesus is the one and same being.

You don't seem to have understood the thread for there's no wondering about who the "Big Guy" IS, but WAS.

T0M

i have some questions to ask you (actually, i've been asked by my friend, please help me out!)

Adam and Eve ate forbidden apples.

God asked them to leave the garden and they must die.

Consequently, why must we die? Aren't we innocent?

Was God fair? too much?

First, not forbidden apples, the Bible doesn't specify anything other than fruit.

Have you ever baked a cake?

Say you are making a angel food cake in the domed pan, but that pan has a big dent in it's side. Every cake you bake from that pan will have a similar dent in it's side (if you can get it out of the pan without tearing it all apart.) Is that cake perfect, since it was made with a dented pan? It isn't the cakes fault that it was made from a dented pan, but it still can't be seen as a perfect cake.

Adam and Eve raised their offspring as they saw fit. At least one of them grew up to recognize that God deserved his praise and wonderment. The other was incredibly selfish and killed his brother. Yet neither one of them was perfect.

Hence you have the value of Jesus life as a ransom. Adam was perfect, but he sinned and thus brought sin to all mankind. Jesus came lived and died a perfect man. His perfect life in turn was equal to what Adam gave up, and thus is the reason he is called the second Adam.

Now you may want to argue why we haven't become perfect then, but I've already gone beyond what this thread was about, so if you would like to discuss it further, let's start a new thread.

Now you may want to argue why we haven't become perfect then, but I've already gone beyond what this thread was about, so if you would like to discuss it further, let's start a new thread.

I come here to just know the answer of my friend's question. But now i reliased that there is no answer! No one can explain but Himself. But Himself can be no-self. so finally i conclude that He was invented by a group of creationists.

Your points are psychological basis, not philosophical basis. you're caged inside the theology of God's creationism after i read most of your previous threads. (not only this but also some other theology threads):shrug:

i have some questions to ask you (actually, i've been asked by my friend, please help me out!)

Adam and Eve ate forbidden apples.

God asked them to leave the garden and they must die.

Consequently, why must we die? Aren't we innocent?

Was God fair? too much?

Adam and Eve, brother and sister, ate the forbidden fruit (apple), which is a symbolism of having sexual relations. Who knows what happened between them and those who already believed in and followed the rules of "God", or maybe between them and Him itself (this guy who convinced homosapiens into being "humans"). So maybe He just kicked them out of the village.

Why must we die? Nothing to do with that. Yes we're innocent.

Then Iff God exists, and He created everything, this is all his, so his rules must be applied, everything that comes from him will be simply fair. For He will tell you what it is to be fair.

T0M

Everything is god. God is whole. However, one questions if it is still whole. God is not a person, place, or thing, god is everything. The question is, since everything looks broken up, is god still whole? God is still whole because everything is connected to one another. This is where you start going towards things like hardcore physics and mechanics.

However I decided....

I'M GOD!

“Look down at me and you see a fool;

look up at me and you see a god;

look straight at me and you see yourself”

Guest jamongo

All right, I suppose I will just have to explain “God” to you all. I really am busy these days but this seems to be important to you so I'll take the time to do it. You can thank me later.

Evolution as normally explained is, in fact, correct. At some point in history, (assumed by some to be about 4000 years ago,) this planet was indeed visited by aliens from outer space. These aliens, took a male and female and set them up in a guarded, well stocked area called Eden. When one of the sons did a bad thing he was forced to go out of the garden and live with the tribes, fully explaining where his “wife” came from. This also explains why “God” used the plural when speaking. There were simply more than one. These aliens stayed around, probably because they couldn't leave the planet. They ran things, “married”, and lived out their lives, slowing dying off over the years. When they all died, there was no more references made to “God” speaking with man.

Now, please go read the bible or whatever “religious” book you have and you will see all of them were written by men, not by “God”. Almost every story in the Christian bible and the Jewish Torah can be explained this way. I haven't read, nor do I intend to read, the Quran.

Thank you for your attention. There will not be a test on this material.