Science Forums

Herbs and Herbal Supplements

Racoon

Hey just wanted to share one of my experiences... I was a stern believer that the herbs are... I am now a strict follower of the herbs, be it of any product.

Good for you illionis. and thanks for the Linkage. :eek2:

Although not all "products" are created equal... depends on the integrity of the manufacturer.. But yes I agree with you.

I love to grow them on the deck and in the yard. :)

Green Tea is good for helping to lose weight. 2 cups of green tea will burn-off an extra 100-200 calories a day through increased metabolism.

Ginseng is good for increasing energy - which in turn leads to more caloric expenditure.

Lots of Possibilities.. :)

YERBA SANTA (Eriodictyon californicum): American Indians chewed or smoked the leaves of this plant as a treatment for Asthma.

It is still used for bronchial congestion, asthma, and hayfever.:)

I was quizzical at first..

Smoking something FOR Asthma??

not entirely sure,

anyone know Anything about Yerba Santa??

Racoon, I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread!!

I have a question. Lately I've had some weird skin things going on.

Rashy, bumpy areas that come and go. Nothing the docs have given me have helped and only served to fatten their and the pharmaceutical co's pockets. Any suggestions on herbs that soothe? I know cold weather and water make the redness worse if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

Racoon, I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread!!

I have a question. Lately I've had some weird skin things going on.

Rashy, bumpy areas that come and go. Nothing the docs have given me have helped and only served to fatten their and the pharmaceutical co's pockets. Any suggestions on herbs that soothe? I know cold weather and water make the redness worse if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

Well, as you know, I am no expert. I can only give you a recommendation :confused:

But I will try and steer you in the right direction...

Is the rashy area(s) like an eczema or a psoriasis?

Wild Oregon Grape may help with that.

Have the doctors given you topical ointments? or pills?

For creams, try Elder*. Witch Hazel* might be good too.:confused:

I'll do a post on these within a day or 3.

And You are Welcome. I appreciate your interest. I hope that helps any. :confused:

Thanks, I'll try the WO grape and maybe the witch hazel too for now.

Rashy like ezcema I guess. The docs first diagnosed impetigo.

I was like...what??? it looks nothing like impetigo. So he called it atypical trying to make me feel more confident about his dx. The prescriptions were bactroban ointment and oral omnicef to the tune of 60.00 WITH insurance. So, I got them, tried the bactroban for 5 days and it got worse.

Went to another doc. He called it pera-something dermatitis caused by allergy to ointment and CA-MRSA impetigo. Wrote out script for bactroban cream and oral Clindamycin. Shelled out another 60.00 for scripts and another 25.00 to him. Rash got even worse over the next 5 days.

Went to Dermatologist. He didn't know what it was and said the areas were to small to biopsy but felt it was some kind of dermatitis. Gave me script for Azcort to the tune of 35.00 and his lovely fee. Rash got worse, started spreading.

Sick to death of all the guesstiments, so I stopped using everything and it is getting better, but likes to act up now and again. I switched toothpastes, soaps, cosmetics and cut out spicy foods. (love the spice too much!)

Daily, I take: a Multi, acidophilius, 3500 mg's pure C, IGF-1 and amino's, Suma, Garcinia Cambogia, CLA, Leptin and finally Phaseolus Vulgaris (White Bean Extracts) to control Hypoglycemia. I would love to add some good herbs for skin and female health if you have some ideas!! Appreciate it bunches Racoon! :hihi:

Daily, I take: a Multi, acidophilius, 3500 mg's pure C, IGF-1 and amino's, Suma, Garcinia Cambogia, CLA, Leptin and finally Phaseolus Vulgaris (White Bean Extracts) to control Hypoglycemia. I would love to add some good herbs for skin and female health if you have some ideas!! Appreciate it bunches Racoon! :hihi:

After reading and re-reading your/my posts - it MIGHT be an Allergy...

Something around that no-one is aware of. (quite yet)

Originally Posted by Racoon

After reading and re-reading your/my posts - it MIGHT be an Allergy...

Something around that no-one is aware of. (quite yet)

My first thoughts exactly. The first month it started, I quit taking all my supplements for several weeks. It actually got abit worse, so, I slowly added them back. No changes. Next, I changed my deterent. Nothing. So on and so forth. Nothing is working. :xx:

I don't know what to try next, it's so frustrating. Maybe it's stress??? :tongue:

I'm still interested in trying some herbs though when you get a minute. Anytime is fine, no hurry's ok? Maybe I'll even try growing a few this year!

its been a while, but i have a good one to come back on,

Ayahuasca, Banisteriopsis caapi

Ayahuasca, Banisteriopsis caapi the holy, magical, medicinal drink of the Amazon, one of mankind's oldest known medicines! This ancient shamanic Ayahuasca or Caapi brew has been used in the Amazon for thousands of years even before Christ and has cured people of all types of dieses including cancer, providing many people with a new birth for spiritual growth and belief. The word Ayahuasca is Quechuan and means "vine of the souls" or 'vine of the spirits" The Tukanos and other Indians of the Amazon regard the Ayahuasca vine as a snake that can bear humans into the world of the spirits.

there are three color forms of Ayahuasca from Ecuador; Red, Ayahuasca colorada is a very strong shamanic medicine taken almost exclusively by shamans themselves to facilitate healing of others. Yellow, Ayahuasca Cielo a relatively gentle but powerful healing plant capable of vivid and highly transformative visions. Black, Ayahuasca negra this type of Ayahuasca provokes strong purge and physical shaking and should be taken only by those experienced with this medicine. Ayahuasca admixtures Chaliponga, Diplopterys cabrerana and Chacruna, Psychotria viridis which are used traditionally by the Shaman of Ecuador and other parts of South America for brewing Ayahuasca or yage.

Along with Ecuadorian Ayahuasca and admixtures there are also rare shamanic plants from Brazil, these include Caupuri Root which is a beautiful knotty caapi root, it’s very rare and the Brazilian strain is reported to be at least twice as potent as other popular strains.

Ourinhos vine from Brazil is a very powerful strain which is used in most of the official ceremonies of the Santo Daime, Uniao do vegetal and Barquinha churches in Brazil. Mimosa Hostilis Root Bark "Purple Pink"often called Jurema in Brazil; this prized entheogen has been used by the Brazilian Shamans and tribe’s people to make a potent “Juremahuasca”. And is undoubtedly the most potent Mimosa Root Bark available, it’s distinguished by its purple/pink color.

Clavo huasca is regarded as an aphrodisiac for both men and women. It is widely regarded as an libido booster for both men and women and is a ingredient in two famous formulas which are widely sold in the herbal markets and stores in Peru for sexual potency. One called Siete raices “Seven Roots” and the other is Rompe Calzon “Bust your Britches” and Syrian Rue Seeds, probably the most concentrated source of Harmala alkaloid is the Syrian Rue Seed.

:wave: :girl_hug: :boy_hug:

Todays herb is Elder! :evil:

ELDER (Sambuccua canadensis nigra)

For many centuries the Elderberry Tree has been a popular Gypsy remedy for colds, influenza, and neuralgia.

Externally, it has been used to relieve skin infalammations such as eczema, rashes, and other skin problems.

In ancient times, Elderberry Trees were believed to have special Mystical properties! :evil: It was considered good luck to plant a tree near your house to protect you from Disease and Evil Spirits! :eek: :)

(And there is one planted outside Westminister Abbey for this purpose )

Elderberries are also a good source of vitamins A,B,and C.

Cooked berries can be used in pies and jams :eek_big:

*Celeste - if nothing is working, plant an Elderberry Tree! :)

*NOTE* - whoever reduced the Thread Rating on this is a Jerk-Off!! :hihi: :hihi: * I've put alot of thought and energy into this for the benefit of everyone!! :eek_big:

OK - anywho's...

Heres the LEGEND of the Elder !! :hyper: :) :hyper:

The Elder Tree was reputed to be the favorite tree of Witches, who supposedly resided in its branches! :eek:

In the Middle Ages, nearly EVERYONE knew that Cutting Down an Elder Tree would Incur the Wrath of the Witches who called it Home. :doh:

There were many tales of Angry Witches taking vengeance on babies whose unwitting parents put them in a cradle of Elderwood!! :evil: :eek:

And now you know...:)

Im not sure if you've got this one yet, but I have been reading great things about it.

Kava (Piper methysticum) is an ancient crop of the western Pacific. Other names for kava include `awa (Hawaii), 'ava (Samoa), yaqona (Fiji), and sakau (Pohnpei). Kava is related to the black pepper; both have heart-shaped leaves and flowers similar to the flower spike of the anthurium. Kava also has a peppery taste

In the Western world, kava is used as a herbal remedy to ease the symptoms of stress, anxiety, and depression.

On 15 February 2006, the Fiji Times and Fiji Live both reported that researchers at the University of Aberdeen in Scotland, and the Laboratoire de Biologie Moleculaire du Cancer in Luxembourg had discovered kava was effective in the treatment of ovarian cancer and leukaemia. Kava compounds inhibited the activation of a nuclear factor that led to the growth of cancer cells. Aberdeen University had published its findings in the journal, The South Pacific Journal of Natural Science, that kava methanol extracts had been shown to kill leukaemia and ovarian cancer cells in test tubes. The kava compounds were shown to work selectively, passing healthy cells by and targeting only cancerous cells.

The effects of drinking kava, in order of sensation, are slight tongue and lip numbing caused by the contraction of the blood vessels in these areas (the lips and skin surrounding may appear unusually pale); mildly talkative and euphoric behavior; calming, sense of well-being, clear thinking; and relaxed muscles. Sleep is restful and there are no after-effects the next day.

Other interesting uses of kava include dispensation to military personnel (Fiji) to aid in vigilance and anxiety reduction; to provide concentration, focus, and muscle control before sports and music performances; to reduce the anxiety associated with public speaking and other public performances; use in corporate board rooms to aid in mental clarity, sociability and improved decision making.

Some indigenous communities in Australia have banned alcohol from their land, replacing it by the safer kava.

Recently, concerns have been raised about the safety of kava[1]. There have been several reports of severe liver toxicity, including liver failure in some people who have used dietary supplements containing kava extract

.. I do however have good things to say about the pharmacist I did an internship with. She sold quite abit of herbal medicine in the pharmacy she owned so that was cool. ...
Do keep in mind that the margin (to a retail pharmacist) on herbal remedies is far higher than the margin on prescription pharmaceuticals.

YERBA SANTA (Eriodictyon californicum): American Indians chewed or smoked the leaves of this plant as a treatment for Asthma.

...anyone know Anything about Yerba Santa??

I just tooled around the web on this question. Most of the information I found is drivel (that is, physiologically incorrect).

Lots of plants have bronchodilators in them. The most famous bronchodilator is caffeine, but other chemicals in the same class (methyl xanthines) are alos bronchodilators (theobromine, theophylline). Theophylline products were the cornerstone of pharmaceutical therapy for asthma through the 1980s. Pharmaceutical preps are still broadly used for bronchospastic disease.

Some references suggest that Yerba has an expectorant in it. Possible, but no one has yet shown that expectorants actually help with anything, so it wouldn't matter if it did.

todays herb,

CASCARA SAGRADA (Rhamnus purshiana) also known a BUCKTHORN, this guy works by stimulating the lining of the upper intestines to promote normal Bowel Function. :)

It is one of Mother Nature's more mild an effective laxatives and is effective against chronic constipation...

Overdoses may cause cramps and diarrhea.:shrug: