Science Forums

Herbs and Herbal Supplements

Racoon

When I was 10 years of age... I planted some mint and some strawberry.

The strawberry is long gone... but the mint plant is still thriving... after 7 years.

I like mint.

It's my buddy.

Sometimes, I rub mint leaves in between my palms... and then just smell my hands for a few minutes.

So good.

I wanna start growing my own herbs for tea blends.

So, I'm going to.

... but the mint plant is still thriving... after 7 years.

I like mint.

I wanna start growing my own herbs for tea blends.

So, I'm going to.

Right On Drip Curl! :steering:

what kind of Mint?

I do that too; Love the smell.

I got a Spearmint and a Peppermint.

they make good, fresh tea...

Ok, back at it. :steering:

More Study Notes for your Herbal Exam :)

Herbs for Colds, Coughs, and Flu;

Ephedra (ma huang) - FDA banned it :( , sorry kiddies

Eucalyptus oil in a Vaporizer - the steam helps clear clogged nasal passages

Fenugreek - makes a good expectorant, and soothes sore throats! :hyper:

Goldenseal - relieves congestion; soothes inflamed membranes

Lungwort - Good for upper respiratory problems; thats why its called Lungwort :gift:

Mullein - is great for dry, nagging coughs

there you have it folks...

Until Next Time :wink:

Right On Drip Curl! :hyper:

what kind of Mint?

I do that too; Love the smell.

I got a Spearmint and a Peppermint.

they make good, fresh tea...

It's definately a spearmint. =]

out of curiosity.... what other herbs are capable of surviving really hot summers in kind of clay-like soil? I'm a little hesitant to just start buying seeds for good tea herbs. I'm afraid that they will just die during summer time.... or is that even an issue? Any good resources for this kind of information?

:steering:

It's definately a spearmint. =]

out of curiosity.... what other herbs are capable of surviving really hot summers in kind of clay-like soil? I'm a little hesitant to just start buying seeds for good tea herbs. I'm afraid that they will just die during summer time.... or is that even an issue? Any good resources for this kind of information?

:hyper:

Good question.

A Good way to go, like I have mostly, is to Grow them in a container with good dirt from a store or wherever. (go big container w/ mints)

Need to water the suckers a lot though in the summer. its a pain in the butt sometimes

Most herbs I've grown tend to like a little shade, water, and soil that doesn't have too much clay in it.

I'll look around and post anything I can find later..

You gave me a good idea Drip Curl...:steering:

"growing" herbs

Cactii grow pretty good in those environments; Grow a little San Pedro hombre! :)

:wink: :gift:

Today I am going to skim over some

Ayurvedic Herbs.. :circle:

I Don't have that much Info/Data about them at my immediate finger tips.

Maybe someone can ellaborate better if they know

or have experience..

AMALAKI (Phyllanthus emblica) - Been used for thousands of years for coughs and bowel function :hyper:

+ also treating skin diseases and tumors

ASHWAGANDHA (Withania somnifloral) - Used to promote healing of broken bones. + has calming effect

BRAHMI (Hydrocotyle asiatica) - used to relieve anxiety ant to treat epilepsi and leprosy

GUDUCHI (Tinosphora cordifolia) - Traditional remedy for Diabetes and ulcers

*This one IS STRONG medicine* and should not be used w/o supervision :)

SHANKA PUPSI (Convolvulus mycrophyllus) - used for anxiety and mild pain killing :shade: sounds cool too!! ;)

VACHA (Acorus calamus) - Has calming effect and is Reputed to be an Aphrodisiac :hyper:

There are So Many Herbs from India and China that I still do not know :confused: So much to learn..

Thats Fractal Folks! :Alien:

Native Americans typical tribal medicine was Well Equiped!! :confused:

Since I got a bit of a Cold right now, Here is what I found on Indian Names of Herbs that help rid colds!!:

:hyper:

Wungobe - Balsam fir

Nakadonup - Wild Buckwheat

Ya-Tombe - Creosote bush

Aqui he binga - Blue gilia

Toza - Indian balsam

Taba emul - Meadow rye

Toya bawana - Horsemint

Batipi - Wild peony

:circle:

Todays herb

ARNICA (Arnica montana): The flower and root of this plant have been used by natural healers as a pain reliever, expectorant, and stimulant. It relives pain due to muscle spasm and joint inflammation.

Arnica is very strong medicine and should NOT be taken internally unless under the supervision of a homeopathic physician; Overdoses can be fatal :eek2: .

But, Arnica is wonderful for healing wounds, bruises, or other skin irritations!:)

Commercial liniments may also be used for muscle soreness or arthritis, but it is not recommended that you make your own.

Hey just wanted to share one of my experiences which was obviously before I was exposed to the world of internet and that was I was a stern believer that the herbs are of little good for us and they actually do nothing so important to help our cause, but my whole opinion changed firstly when I got the details of the various benefits of herbs from this place and another one from http://www.imsickofbeingfat.com/forum/myth-reality/1429-herbal-tea-helpful-us.html?highlight=herbal which illustrates the helps of the herbal teas. I am now a strict follower of the herbs, be it of any product.