Science Forums

Herbs and Herbal Supplements

Racoon

Heres a lttle more on AromaTherapy:

Essential oils can be purchased at herb shops and health food stores.

They are real strong, so a little goes a long way.

Don't Huff the Stuff! :hyper: :hyper:

Mix 1 or 2 drops into a steaming bowl of water, and place a towel over your head and bowl to smell the steam. :shrug:

You can also purchase burners and candles.

Think how much the ladies will love that! :)

Lily - promotes inner peace

Orange - increases energy

Pine - promotes healing

Vanilla - promotes sex and love

Blue Lotus of the Nile (Nymphaea caerulea)

Egyptian Blue Lotus is a sedative and aphrodisiac, rich in active resins.

Organically grown and processed - pure dried leaf and flowers and nothing else. Makes a great smoke.

Represented in ancient Egyptian art. The blue lotus was found scattered over Tutankhamen's body when the Pharaoh's tomb was opened in 1922. Many historians thought it was a purely symbolic flower, but there may be some reason to believe that ancient Egyptians used it to induce relaxation and an ecstatic state.

When prepared as a tea the flowers produce a thick, gold/clear liquid that reminds one of melted amber. The liquid is ever-so-slightly sweet and upon being consumed creates a warm, euphoric glow.

The dried leaves can be smoked by themselves or blended with other herbs to add flavor and an euphoric effect to your favorite smoking mixture. There is some indication that the effects of Blue Lotus may be enhanced if soaked in wine (which is thought to be the original Egyptian method of use) or other alcohol.

Blue lotus was used in ancient Egypt as a key to good health, sex, and as a symbol of rebirth. It is an aphrodisiac for both men and women as well as a general remedy and tonic.

In 2000 at Dr. Vic Garner's laboratory for forensic analysis in Manchester, England, the Egyptian mummy Asru, chantress at the temple of Amun at Karnak ca. 1000 B.C., became the first mummy to undergo mass spectroscopy. She had no narcotics or painkillers in her. They found phytosterols, bioflavonoids, and phosphodiesterase, the active ingredient of some modern brand name sexual function enhancers, all from blue lotus.

Nice Post (((Tartanism))) ! :hyper:

I think Orby mentioned Blue Lotus....

Blue Lotus...I like the sound of that :hyper:

Im going to give a shout out to another Herb Today...(with Aromatic qualities)

EUCALYPTUS (Eucalypyus globulus):

Loved by Koala Bears, we humans have used it for a wide range of medicinal reasons. Its good for colds and flus, to clear a stuffy nose, and help relieve pain from arthritis. :eek:

Get this: When aged, the Oil forms Ozone, the form of Oxygen that specifically destroys bacteria, fungi, and viruses.

Put 1 - 5 drops in a vaporizer.

Use Linament as needed.

Do not use on broken skin or take internally.

Unless you are a Koala Bear :)

there is eucalyptus all around my area of california...and it doesnt belong here. they are austrailian trees that were brought over by french explorers...nice post racoon.

mine today is Salvia Divinorum:

Used for centuries by the Mazatecs of Central Mexico as a powerful visionary herb it's traditionally prepared and taken under the supervision of experienced Shaman. Salvia divinorum is used medicinally, healing, divination and to explore ones consciousness. Salvia divinorum is a species of sage (the genus Salvia). Approximately 1000 species of Salvia are known but only Salvia divinorum is known to produce visions.The botanical name Salvia divinorum means “Sage of the Diviners”or Diviners Sage, which translates from the Latin, Salvia meaning sage or mint and divinorum meaning of the diviner or prophet.

Salvia contains a chemical substance called salvinorin A. which is responsible for its effects. It is not chemically related to any other ethnobotanical plant. Unlike most visionary compounds, it is not an alkaloid. Pure salvinorin A is extremely potent.

:hyper:

mine today is Salvia Divinorum . . .

how ironic you should post that on this day.

just last night i played neo-shaman to a good friend of mine, and we journeyed through the strange realms of salvia experience.

i had forgotten just how strange these effects are.

erowid.org classifies it as an Atypical psychedelic, and i'd have to completely agree with them.

as it does not effect your brain in any kind of a normal way, the experience it produces is most puzzling, and different from any other kind of vision inducer.

a must try for any fellow psychonaut looking to get thouroughly confused:)

as a side note:

salvia, FOR ME, seems to have the strange capability to distort the feeling of gravity and make it appear to bend itself sideways, and make a wall become the ground, which consequently turns all surrounding walls into the side dimensions that they really are, but inverted at 90 degrees.

also, melting into a couch is not a super pleasant experience, but definitely one worth comprehending, or at least trying to figure out.

"thanks mom, this one's really weird"

neroL-

salvia, FOR ME, seems to have the strange capability to distort the feeling of gravity and make it appear to bend itself sideways, and make a wall become the ground, which consequently turns all surrounding walls into the side dimensions that they really are, but inverted at 90 degrees.

the only time that i ahve ever experienced something like that was the night that i hit the salvia bowl by the lake at visona. the areas to the right side of my vision distorted to the pint where reality appeared to ahve a fold in it. quite strange. :hyper:

hmmm.... it seems to have a stronger effect on me.... I don't see walls.... they disappear. Everything around me disappears. Nothing morphs into anything else.... I'm just instantly shot into another dimension where there is no gravity. There is no me. There are no humans.... there are nothing but colors and shapes.... and occasional cartoon looking entities with faces. Sometimes eyes. But that's it. No sense of anything.... no sense of being. I forget everything and have to rediscover.

everyone has a different chemical balance... ya know?

also, melting into a couch is not a super pleasant experience, but definitely one worth comprehending, or at least trying to figure out.

I had a similair experience... when I finally realized where I was and what I was doing... I felt myself jumping back out of the wall that i was leaning on during the trip.... which seemed to not want to let me go.

I said it once... and I will say it again....

NEVER will I do that stuff again.

I'm done.

period.

and a half.

Todays herb is not a hallucinogen...

EYEBRIGHT (Euphrasia officianalis)

Used since the middle ages, Eyebright has been used as a tonic and asringent. It is used primarily for eyestrain, eye inflammations, and other eye ailments. Hence its name, "Eyebright" :Glasses:

So, good for all of those who sit behind a computer all day! :phones:

It can also help relieve runny, sore, and itchy eyes due to colds or allergies.

Take 1 - 3 capsules daily or

mix 15 - 40 drops in liquid every 4 hours...

Heres an herb those from India should know about:

CARDAMOM (Elletaria cardamonium)

Grown in India, these pugnent, aromatic seeds contain a large amount of volitile oil that helps stimulate digestion. Cardamom is also a mild stimulant an a standard ingredient in curry! :hyper:

Mix ~15 pulverized seeds in i/2 cup of hot water.

Add 1 oz. of fresh Gingerroot and a cinammon stick

simmer on low for 15 minutes

addf 1/2 cup milk and simmer a little longer

add 2 - 3 drops of vanilla!

Drink 1 or 2 a day for health! :hyper:

Todays Herb is a Mushroom :hihi:

whoa! 'shrooms dude...:)

SHIITAKE MUSHROOM (Lentinus edodes)

These Mushroom dudes have a polysaccharide called 'lentinan' that has been shown to slow the growth of cancerous tumors in animals :)

Studies also suggest lentinan may work by enhancing the immunes system's ability to fight against infection. It is used as a cancer-fighting agent in Japan and China

Shiitake also lowers Cholesterol! :hihi:

Take 1 - 3 capsules daily.

or eat some...:hihi: (although they are on the spendy side)

Heres an Herbal Remedy for those of you/us getting on in years! :hihi:

MUSTARD,BLACK & WHITE (Brassica nigra, hirta)

Both have similar properties, but black mustard is considered stronger.

Culpeper wrote that Mustard to be used for Sciatica or joint pain...:hihi:

Mustard oil diluted w/ rubbing alcohol can be applied to the skin to increase bloodflow to arthritic areas. :) *(don't use undiluuted oil, will irritate)* Leaves of Mustard also great in salads!

Todays Herb is a Mushroom :)

whoa! 'shrooms dude...:hihi:

SHIITAKE MUSHROOM (Lentinus edodes)

These Mushroom dudes have a polysaccharide called 'lentinan' that has been shown to slow the growth of cancerous tumors in animals :)

Studies also suggest lentinan may work by enhancing the immunes system's ability to fight against infection. It is used as a cancer-fighting agent in Japan and China

Shiitake also lowers Cholesterol! :hihi:

Take 1 - 3 capsules daily.

or eat some...:hihi: (although they are on the spendy side)

my mom grows these on a Log.

Todays Posting(s) will be in a list form:

This is your study guide for your Herbal Exam! :)

Herbs for a Healthy Heart:

Evening Primerose oil - can reduce cholesterol ;)

Ginseng - Chinese know that this is Good Stuff Maynard! :steering:

Cayenne - Damn Hot!! :gift:

Artichoke - reduces cholesterol :(

Garlic - No Vampire Slayer should be without it

Olives and Olive oil - Just don't let Popeye know your using her

Oat*, Oat Bran - Rich in Beta glucan - Get your Gluc On!

2 oz. of oat bran daily can reduce your cholesterol by 5 - 10%! :hyper:

Psyllium - found in colon cleansers like Metamucil. It'll help your Heart and make you Poop good! :wink: (but some people are allergic)

Herbs to bring down a fever:

White Willow Bark - don't just settle for Aspirin; Get the Real Stuff! :hyper:

Feverfew - Thats why its called Feverfew! :gift:

Barberry - promotes sweating and cooling the body! Dig It Man....:steering:

( mixing 3-7 drops of extract in 1/2 cup water x up to 3 daily)