Science Forums

Herbs and Herbal Supplements

Racoon

thank you so much for the heads up to all these wonderful herbs and to your hard work and knowledge of the matter....i intend to pop in regulary to learn more! Peace!

Ok I'm Back at it!

Lets talk about more Herbs! ;)

ALOE VERA (Aloe barbadenis): This wonderful plant is a fragrant desert lily!

It has been used for over 3500 years by healers and physicians.

For you Bible Buffs, it is mentioned in Proverbs 7:17

" I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes and cinnamon. "

I personally have a " Hedgehog " variety in my bedroom window. I found it at the Washington State University Agricultural Extension here in town. I love it, its cute as a button! ;) ( ie "spinning button" ;) )

The leaves of Aloe contain a "gel" or emollient that can be used externally. And it quite frequently is in cosmetics and moisturizers.

The Greek physician Diocorides wrote that it was an effective treatment for everything from constipation to burns.

Cleopatra regarded Aloe Vera as a 'fountain of youth' and used it to combat the ravages of the desert sun against her skin! ;)

Aloe Vera soothes and heals sunburns, and other minor burns. Useful for bug bites. Taken internally, it is an effective laxative

CATNIP (Nepeta cataria): I have to grow this to appease my cat! ;)

It grows easily, but mine is usually scraggly and bitten off quite low (as a result of its popularity with the neighborhood cats! ;) )

While it drives cats into a frenzy, Its effects on humans are quite the opposite. It is a mild sedative that is useful for upset stomach and cramps.

Europeans use it as a remedy for bronchitis and diarrhea. ( Man, it seems Europeans are really with it when it comes to herbs! ;) )

Take 1 - 3 capsules daily, or simply enjoy fresh tea by mixing 1 teaspoon per cup of warm water.

Stay posted for more posts! :rant: ( That sounds redundant doesn't it?? )

___Another question Racoon, that is tangentially related. What role does fasting play in the body's nutrional chemistry? Is fasting considered or discussed in the academic study you have underway? Is it recommended. & if so under what constraints?

___I hear that eating less extends the life span & have you any info on that? That's all I have until I have more.;)

Turtle Over

Psshhtt

Racoon is a much better source for stuff like this (as is easily demonstrated by his previous posts in this thread and others), but I'll take a stab at it briefly.

Fasting allows the body to spend less time digesting newly ingested goods, food/drink/and the like, however, metabolism continues. Once the ingested goods are fully metabolized, the process will begin metabolizing other things in our system which it would not normally have "time" for. This includes, but is not limited to, things like pathogens, carcinogens, fat deposits...

It's important to stay hydrated while fasting, but not with sodas or anything artificial. Just water, and lots of it. Fasting will put a strain on the kidneys and you need to keep them flushed with lots of water.

Initially, the individual engaged in the fast will experience symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels). This includes difficulty concentrating, dizziness, low blood pressure, emotional volitility... however, the body quickly adjusts and these symptoms tend to pass. The mind becomes focussed and you essentially meditate the hunger sensation away. It's there, but you ignore it.

Studies have been done with many rats which demonstrate that lower caloric intake results in a longer lifespan. The fewer calories one ingests, the longer they live. Ultimately, this is tied again to the issue of metabolism. To metabolize ingested goods requires energy, energy which could otherwise be spent repairing the internal system of the body and all of it's cells. However, while returns of up to a 20% increase in lifespan were shown in mice, humans tend to only see about a 3% increase in lifespan. See link below.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/08/050830065729.htm

Enjoy your day, good sir. ;)

thank you so much for the heads up to all these wonderful herbs and to your hard work and knowledge of the matter....i intend to pop in regulary to learn more! Peace!

You're quite welcome indeed. :)

I appreciate that you appreciate Happyhealthy1.

Todays Herb:

LEMON BALM (Melissa officinalis): Originally from the Orient, Arab Traders introduced this herb to Spain. Later, Benedictine Monks brought it to Germany, and now its easy to get! :D

Lemon Balm contains volitile oils that give it's great scent. Its great for upset stomachs, nervous tension and insomnia.

Culpeper thought so highly of it that he wrote "Let a syrup made with the juice of it and sugar.....be kept in every gentle woman's house to relieve the weak stomachs and sick bodies of their poor and sickly neighbours." :D

I have had a Container with LemonBalm for years. The smell is SO good!

Right up there with Lemon Verbena.. :lol:

It grows really easy. My container has since spread several Bushes of LBalm over the yard. I have to whack away at it.

I recommend it in a little container.

Herb of the day.

Served hot and fresh :lol:

BONESET (Euoatorium perfoliatum): Native Americans introduced this herb to the New World settlers. Its name reflects its use for a harsh and nasty strain of flu called "break bone fever."

During Flu season, Bonest can be valuable in relieving coughs and respiratory congestion. It can also help reduce fever.

It has a calming effect on the body and can aid in constipation. :)

Mix 10 - 40 drops in liquid daily.

OK, did quick google.

Entheogens are God or spirit facilitating.

Plants OR chemical substances taken to occasion primary religious experience.

Like Peyote.

I am not aware of Lotus to be such a facilitator.

Perhaps to be meditated upon, without taking internally..

This would be right up (((Tartanism)))'s alley!

I admit there is a limit to what I currently know.

an entheogen is pretty much any plant or drug used to induce a spiritual experience. So...psychoactive is another good word for it.

Entheogen is a nice word, I think. It's always been my favorite alternate term for "drugs" for instance.

So yeah, Mr. Racoon!!! I thought you might know a little bit about the lotus' psychoactive characteristics.

Oi, I'll go look it up on google.

Peace :lol:

___There is a documentary film I have watched twice on holistic medicine in India; it just came on again & I copied the title etc.. The film is titled "Ayurveda: the Art of Being", & features the work of Brahmanand Swamigal. He makes medicines from herbs & minerals and has a western Phd as well as studying under some 20 Indian masters. Very good show if you ever run across it.

___ The film is titled "Ayurveda: the Art of Being", & features the work of Brahmanand Swamigal. He makes medicines from herbs & minerals and has a western Phd as well as studying under some 20 Indian masters.

Sounds loke a winner Turtle! I would like to view that sometime.

OK, lets see if we can get away from psychodelics for a while, even though that seems to be a popular theme here, and at Hypog. :)

Todays Herb is brought to you by MasterCard. When life throws you curveball, Use your MasterCard! With cash back options and low APR, you'll want to use your MasterCard!! :) :)

SKULLCAP (Scutellaria lateriflora): Get this, its also called "Mad Dog Weed"!:) , because it is a traditional remedy for rabies..

Its known for its antispamodic effects and to relieve menstrual cramps and muscle pain. It is also given to Alcoholics suffering from withdrawl effects.

Its also good for insomnia..

Take 1 - 3 capsules daily, mix 1 tablespoon herb w/ 8 ozs of warm water, or 3 - 12 drops of extract.

i used to have this type of herb called 'donkey dick'. it was mad bright green and the smell could kill a small animal. :) goodtimes.

I appreciate the interest bpjg2fat, but I prefer This thread Not get diluted with those kinds of Posts. :)

We all have had that kind of herb and it should be discussed a little more discretely.

At least a more appropriate Botanical Name could be used.