Science Forums

Herbs and Herbal Supplements

Racoon

Rosehip and Hibiscus

These technically aren't herbs, but they're used to make herbal tea which my Mum rather likes and gave it to me when I was a kid.

The rose hip, also called the rose haw, is the pomaceous fruit of the rose plant. It is typically red to orange but may be dark purple to black in some species.

Health benefits:

Particularly high in Vitamin C, with about 1700–2000 mg per 100 g in the dried product, one of the richest plant sources.

Rose hips contain vitamins A, D and E, and antioxidant flavonoids.

As a herbal remedy, rose hips are attributed with the ability to prevent urinary bladder infections, and assist in treating dizziness and headaches. Rose hips are also commonly used externally in oil form to restore firmness to skin by nourishing and astringing tissue.[1]

Brewed into a concoction, can also be used to treat constipation.

Rose hip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hibiscus or Rosemallow is a large genus of about 200-220 species of flowering plants in the family Malvaceae, native to warm temperate, subtropical and tropical regions throughout the world.

Extracts of some hibiscus species are claimed to have health benefits, including prevention of constipation, bladder infections and nausea, and high blood pressure. The studies that yielded these results are debated. An unspecified hibiscus plant is used to make a herbal tea, typically blended with rosehip

Hibiscus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On saffron. It is being grown in Tasmania, of late.

I would hate to harvest it. It would drive me bonkers.

From Nancy Schimelpfening,

Your Guide to Depression.

Stay up to date!

Culinary Herb May Be Useful As Antidepressant

PressTV, an Iranian news organization which broadcasts in English, reports that Iranian and Japanese investigators have found that extracts from the culinary herb saffron have antidepressant and anticonvulsant properties.

According to Wikipedia, saffron is a spice derived from the stigma of the saffron crocus which imparts a golden yellow color to foods. 200 tons of the herb are produced worldwide with 85 percent being produced in Iran.

Tuesday April 10, 2007

A great list of common kitchen plants and spices and their medicinal uses.

Needs to be pasted on the frig?

What Everybody Ought to Know About Medicinal Uses Of 22 Common Spices | because you value your body

Nice post, and great idea! I'm going to type out my favourites in a pretty font and paste them (maybe even laminate and add a magnet?) on the fridge where I can see them all the time.

On saffron. It is being grown in Tasmania, of late.

I would hate to harvest it. It would drive me bonkers.

I think saffron's just a wee bit too expensive to use as an antidepressant. From Wiki:

In Western countries, the average retail price is $1,000/£500/€700 per pound (US$2200/£1100/€1550 per kilogram).[2] Between 70,000 and 200,000 threads comprise a pound

However, saffron cream chicken is just about this side of paradise. We sell saffron, and it's terribly expensive for a small box. It's been one of the favorite items that thieves steal from our store, because of its value.

• 2 months later...

Caraway: The unidentified herb I've been growing. Although very pretty and distinctive, its probably not terribly useful..

Properties

Stimulant, strongly aromatic herb that calms spasms of the gastric tract and uterus and is used as an expectorant for respiratory complaints.

Its main active ingredient is the (+) carvone found in the volatile oil, which also contains limonene, dihydrocarvne and carveol, while the fruit (seeds) contain the volatile oil, fatty oil, polysaccharides, phenylpropanoids (such as caffeic and chlorogenic acid), flavonoids and flavonolglycosides (quercetin and isoquercitrin), as well as traces of furanocoumarins.

Information on the herb caraway.

I could use some rosemary (for my bad memory and headaches) :hyper:

Rosemary makes more blood go to the brain.

Too much can increase BP

Try also some sage, gotu kola, ginseng, and Ginko.

Well the mean Bs that run this forum won't let me give rep to ANYBODY (NASTY POO PEOPLE):)

lemon verbena- My favorite herb tea. But only when taken fresh-dried is like Hay-yuck.

My hardwood autumn cuttings are sprouting- should be "spring" in 4 weeks)

Who wants one for the postage?

Racoon that 'caraway' picture looks like an artemesia. Wormwood type herb

:)

Racoon that 'caraway' picture looks like an artemesia. Wormwood type herb

I will look into it micheal ..

Its not confirmed 100% pure caraway as far as I can surmise without question.... ---> ? ?

The mystery may deepen.. :hyper: :hyper:

• 2 months later...

Feverfew is an annual, self seeding, tiny daisy that has been shown in Clinical Trials from Guy's Hospital Migraine Clinic in London to be an excellent prophylactic for migraine (2-3 leaves a day- they taste awful- a tea with peppermint might help disguise the taste).

This study, again, was from left field

Daisies Lead Scientists Down Path to New Leukemia Drug

A new, easily ingested form of a compound that has already shown it can attack the roots of leukemia in laboratory studies is moving into human clinical trials, according to a new article by University of Rochester investigators in the journal, Blood.

The Rochester team has been leading the investigation of this promising therapy on the deadly blood cancer for nearly five years. And to bring it from a laboratory concept to patient studies in that time is very fast progress in the drug development world, said Craig T. Jordan, Ph.D., senior author of the Blood article and director of Translational Research for Hematologic Malignancies at the James P. Wilmot Cancer Center, at the University of Rochester Medical Center.

Clinical trials are expected to begin in England by the end of 2007. Investigators expect to initially enroll about a dozen adult volunteers who’ve been diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia (AML), acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) or other types of blood or lymph cancers, Jordan said.

Under development is dimethylamino-parthenolide (DMAPT), a form of parthenolide (PTL) that is derived from a daisy-like plant known as feverfew or bachelor’s button. DMAPT is a water-soluble agent that scientists believe will selectively target leukemia at the stem-cell

Daisies Lead Scientists Down Path to New Leukemia Drug - URMC Press Room

BTW Caraway from Google images

Daisies Lead Scientists Down Path To New Leukemia Drug

Long used as a preventive for migraines; scientists have discovered a new use for this pretty little self seeding daisy. It may help in the fight against leukemia.

The Rochester team has been leading the investigation of this promising therapy on the deadly blood cancer for nearly five years.

And to bring it from a laboratory concept to patient studies in that time is very fast progress in the drug development world, said Craig T. Jordan, Ph.D., senior author of the Blood article and director of Translational Research for Hematologic Malignancies at the James P. Wilmot Cancer Center, at the University of Rochester Medical Center.

Clinical trials are expected to begin in England by the end of 2007. Investigators expect to initially enroll about a dozen adult volunteers who've been diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia (AML), acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) or other types of blood or lymph cancers, Jordan said.

Under development is dimethylamino-parthenolide (DMAPT), a form of parthenolide (PTL) that is derived from a daisy-like plant known as feverfew or bachelor's button. DMAPT is a water-soluble agent that scientists believe will selectively target leukemia at the stem-cell level, where the malignancy is born.

This is significant because standard chemotherapy does not strike deep enough to kill cancer at the roots, thus resulting in relapses. Even the most progressive new therapies, such as Gleevec, are effective only to a degree because they do not reach the root of the cancer.

ScienceDaily: Daisies Lead Scientists Down Path To New Leukemia Drug

There is hope, and there is no hope.

There is no such thing as false hope.-MA,/07

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to grow some seeds of these once without any luck.

I think they like a very dry environment(Might be the new Oz crop?) & may have special germantion requirments. Still they are very cheap in supermarkets. I doubt if I would pick them for the price.

Tiny Capers Pack Big Disease-fighting Punch

ScienceDaily (Oct. 25, 2007) — Capers, used in such culinary delights as chicken piccata and smoked salmon, may be small.

But they are an unexpectedly big source of natural antioxidants that show promise for fighting cancer and heart disease when added to meals, particularly meats, researchers in Italy are reporting.

. . .

The scientists found that caper-extract helped prevent the formation of certain byproducts of digested meat that have been linked by others to an increased risk of cancer and heart disease. That beneficial effect occurred even with the small amounts of caper typically used to flavour food.

not to be taking during pregnacy.If yes, could it/does it have any effect on male gamates too?

They say that about everything now

Coca Cola douches were once used as a spermicide among prostitutes (First shake your bottle. . .)

Also an Australian Guy is researching lemon juice as a spermacide and to stop the spread of AIDS in poor countries.

(The appropriately named "Mary Magdelaine" Cure).

If you are not practising safe sex and live in the West you are suicidal.

have you already talked about Calea zacatechichi?

this herb is absolutely incredible at opening up your third eye and allowing vivid dreams.

I made a tincture with it.

amazing!

no never heard of it

Google Image Result for http://www.salviadivinorum.tv/images/calea_zacatechichi2.jpg

Psychopharmacologic Analysis of an Alleged Oneirogenic Plant:

Calea zacatechichi

Google Image Result for http://diseyes.lycaeum.org/fresh/calplnt.jpg

Never heard of the word 'Oneirogenic' either (oneirogenic: Any substance that causes a lucid dream, vivid dream in noticeable color and resonance, )

Lycaeum > Leda > Psychopharmacologic Analysis of an Alleged Oneirogenic Plant: Calea zacatechichi

I know Mugwort (Artemesia ?)and old A/saxon herb produces vivid, technicolour dreams.

There are two varieties one grows up to three metres and has fragrant leaves (Oil is used in aftershave worth about $400.00 a litre) and a scraggy, crappy looking one that tumbles along the ground. Pretty sure this is the one that produces dreams.

It is usually combined with hops and lavender and rose-petals in "Dream/Sleep Pillows"