Science Forums

Herbs and Herbal Supplements

Racoon

In an animal study assessing the anxiolytic and antidepressive actions of ashwagandha compared to commonly prescribed pharmaceuticals, an extract of the root was administered orally to rats once daily for five days...

Whoa whoa whoa! Depressed rats? How the hell is that determined? The jokes coming to mind baffle the imagination so I'll keep them to myself. Seriously though; how good is any animal study of human psychiatric conditions, herbal or otherwise?

Depressed rat to psychiatrist: "Well Doc...I am constantly overwhelmed by hopeless anxiety over my little tail."

Psychiatrist: "On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the absolute best you can feel & 1 being the absolute worst, how would you rank yourself today?"

Rat: "Have you LOOKED at my tail?!!!!"

:D :)

Raccoon, do you know anything about Dagaa?

Is it an herb?

I tried http://www.erowid.org but nothing came up . .

You might mean Dagg Dagga which is the native African name for Leonurus leonotis. A pretty herb, with orange flowers, in the basil family. It grows about 2m high and ran wild in my last garden. It is said to give a very mild high.

A young friend, a MJ smoker, who had been busted, tried it and was unimpressed.

Then he used the leaves.

It may be that the flowers or tips or resin might give a better high.

You can probably buy seeds from Richters in Canada.

indeed, seeds are not hard to come by for either of the daggas that supposedly get you high. i grew both there and they flowered and seeded naturally on their own. pretty flower, but i didnt find the plant all that appealing. kind of like poppies for me...plant ugly, flower amazing.

Whoa whoa whoa! Depressed rats? How the hell is that determined? The jokes coming to mind baffle the imagination so I'll keep them to myself. Seriously though; how good is any animal study of human psychiatric conditions, herbal or otherwise?

It's a close approximation due to similarities in the mammalian nervous system. Usually, there are key factors such as activity level, food intake, social interactions and whatnot. The researchers (or, more commonly, the research assistants) will sit there for hours (usually to gain credit in one of their university courses) counting the number of times particular behaviors are engaged in for each rat. The analogues between frequency of these behaviors and recognizing depression in rats and recognizing it in humans are remarkably parellel.

Depressed rat to psychiatrist: "Well Doc...I am constantly overwhelmed by hopeless anxiety over my little tail."

Psychiatrist: "On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the absolute best you can feel & 1 being the absolute worst, how would you rank yourself today?"

Rat: "Have you LOOKED at my tail?!!!!"

;) B)

They also do studies on sexual behavior and female sexual receptivity in rats... You want to get into the realm of jokes, try those on for size. (and as any male rat will say, it's not size that matters, but how you use it. :hihi: ) In this arena of research, they look at something called "lordosis" in the female, but that's a bit off topic.

• 3 weeks later...

Licorice

Licorice Root (Glandular) has a long history of use by cultures throughout the world, including the Greeks, Egyptians, Chinese and Indians. It grows wild in southern and central Europe and is extensively cultivated in Russia, Spain, Persia and India. Licorice was so valued in ancient Egypt that even King Tutankhamen was buried with a supply. Licorice is widely used as a flavoring, not only for candy (although most modern licorice candies are flavored with anise) but also in cough drops, syrups, tonics and laxatives. In India grandmothers prescribe a concotation of Honey and Licorice as a household remedy for coughs.

It flavors certain kinds of beer, frozen dairy desserts, gelatins, puddings and meat products. The sweet root can be chewed as a special treat.

Licorice is included in most Chinese herb combinations to balance the other herbs and to promote vitality. It is a source of magnesium, silicon and thiamine. Nature’s Sunshine offers it in three forms for varying needs, including liquid extract -- especially for those who have difficulty swallowing capsules. Each capsule contains 396 mg licorice root (ATC concentrated 410 mg). Herbal extracts are rapidly assimilated in the body and can be taken in liquid or under the tongue.

hai racoon,

Herbal dietary supplements is a natural medications used to cure the diseases. These medications were found years ago as they were natural. These medications usage are free from side effects and harms. The usage of these medications really makes us to feel comfortable and cures the diseases with in less period of time. It really works and can cure with no increase of the dosages as the allopathic medicines. But truly to say these allopathic medications cure suffer temporarily or should continue the use of medicines for the rest of the life and they can also attack at any time. But the usage of these natural medications is really great that they cure for one whole time and may never come back at all. I am saying this because i got cured my ill with this natural dietary supplements when the allopathic medicines did nothing for it. So, I am really thankful to my doctor K.Rao, the director of Holistic Health Care and Research Center located at New York. You can visit the site more details you can visit the site and know about it.

These medications usage are free from side effects and harms. The usage of these medications really makes us to feel comfortable and cures the diseases with in less period of time. It really works and can cure with no increase of the dosages as the allopathic medicines. But truly to say these allopathic medications cure suffer temporarily or should continue the use of medicines for the rest of the life and they can also attack at any time. But the usage of these natural medications is really great that they cure for one whole time and may never come back at all.

Hello harpreet,

I know you are new to our forums (and welcome again! :hihi: ), but please be cautious when making such broad and all encompassing statements. I agree that there is a lot of benefit to be found in herbs and herbal supplements, but I caution all of our readers that there are, in fact, potential side effects and harm is a possible outcome if you are not educated well enough in the use of such substances.

Anyway, that said, I am really glad to hear that your own illness has been remedied! Cheers to good health for everyone! :cup:

• 4 weeks later...

Fennel :cup:

Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare), a member of the parsley family, is a plant with yellowish flowers that grows up to 8 feet tall. This large herb radiates a sweet, warm licorice odor. While fennel is native to southern Europe, commercial fennel usually comes from Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Egypt, or China. Each part of the fennel plant is edible the--seeds, leaves, stalks, and the bulb.

Fennel doubles as a vegetable and a spice. The sweet-flavored tasty stems, which resemble celery, have a pleasant aniselike flavor. They can be diced into soups and salads, or used for savoring stews and stir-fry vegetables. The feathery leaves can also be used to flavor vegetable dishes.

Multiple Uses

The fruit, or seeds, are greenish yellow-brown in color, and vary in size up to 3/8 inch (one centimeter) long. The seeds are oval in shape, slightly curved with ridges. The grooved seeds can be used both for flavoring purposes as well as for medicinal purposes. The seeds can be used in bread, entrees, apple pie, vegetable dishes, and tomato-based sauces. The Spanish use fennel abundantly in their baking and cooking.

A tea can also be made from fennel seeds. The tea can be prepared by simmering two to three teaspoons of crushed seeds in a cup of hot water for 10 to 15 minutes. This refreshing tea is also considered a pleasant breath freshener. Fennel seeds are reasonably rich in the minerals potassium and calcium.

Health-promoting Properties

Fennel belongs to the Apiaceae family of herbs that contains anise, caraway, celery, chervil, coriander, cumin, dill, and parsley. This popular family of culinary herbs is noted for the special flavors they impart to various foods. These herbs are unique in their content of phthalides, polyacetylenes, and couramins. These phytochemicals provide the consumer with protection against cancer.

Fennel is a very popular herb with a long history of usage. In folk medicine, it was used to promote menstruation and to enhance lactation. The ancient Romans grew fennel for its aromatic seeds. Today, the pleasant flavor of fennel is used to mask the off flavors of food, medicine, or herbal teas. Extracts of fennel also provide antimicrobial activity against a number of bacteria (such as Staphylococcus and E. coli), and fungi and yeasts (such as Candida).

For centuries the seeds have been utilized to stimulate appetite and as a digestive carminative to help with flatulence, indigestion, and colic in children. It can also effectively reduce intestinal spasms. A preparation from fennel seeds is useful as a mild expectorant. It is effective in treating inflammation of the mucous membranes of the upper respiratory tract. It has been successfully used for treating cough and catarrh of the upper respiratory tract in children

Fenugreek :phones:

Fenugreek has a long history of medical uses in Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine, and has been used for numerous indications, including labor induction, aiding digestion, and as a general tonic to improve metabolism and health. Preliminary animal and human trials suggest possible hypoglycemic and antihyperlipidemic properties of oral fenugreek seed powder.

(Altern Med Rev 2003;8(1):20-27)

Historical Uses of Fenugreek

Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum L. Leguminosae) is one of the oldest medicinal plants, originating in India and Northern Africa. An annual plant, fenugreek grows to an average height of two feet. The leaves and seeds, which mature in long pods, are used to prepare extracts or powders for medicinal use. Applications of fenugreek were documented in ancient Egypt, where it was used in incense and to embalm mummies. In modern Egypt, fenugreek is still used as a supplement in wheat and maize flour for bread-making. (1) In ancient Rome, fenugreek was purportedly used to aid labor and delivery. In traditional Chinese medicine, fenugreek seeds are used as a tonic, as well as a treatment for weakness and edema of the legs. (2) In India, fenugreek is commonly consumed as a condiment (2) and used medicinally as a lactation stimulant. (3) There are numerous other folkloric uses of fenugreek, including the treatment of indigestion and baldness. The possible hypoglycemic and antihyperlipidemic properties of oral fenugreek seed powder have been suggested by the results of preliminary animal and human trials.

Active Constituents

The fraction of fenugreek that contains the testa (i.e., the portion of the fenugreek seed with the peculiar smell and bitter taste) and the endosperm of the defatted seeds (i.e., the "A" subfraction) are thought to be associated with the hypoglycemic effects of fenugreek. These effects have not been observed in studies of lipid extracts. (4,5) It is possible fenugreek lowers lipids because it contains saponins that are transformed in the gastrointestinal tract into sapogenins. Fenugreek seeds contain 50-percent fiber (30-percent soluble fiber and 20-percent insoluble fiber) that can slow the rate of postprandial glucose absorption. This may be a secondary mechanism for its hypoglycemic effect

Fenugreek seeds

Burdock (Articum lappa) -- The inspiration for Velcro :naughty:

Here's another example of some people fighting "weeds" that other people grow as vegetable

The name burdock comes from the bur-like heads which follow the purple to white flowers of summer. In late summer and early fall, these dry fruits become "hitchhiker" burs that stick to animals or clothing -- which is one of the reasons why this plant has a history of being despised. But have you ever closely observed those burs?

In fact, Velcro was invented by George de Mestral, a Swiss engineer. While walking his dog one day in 1948, some burs got stuck to his wool socks. He noted the tiny hooks at the end of each needle on the bur. He attempted to replicate nature by touching velour to crocheted nylon. Velcro was born. It took 30 years for Velcro to finally be accepted and used in a broad array of applications.

Burdock root is a common food throughout the world. It is cultivated in Japan. The first-year roots are eaten once peeled. They are usually simmered in water until tender, and cooked with other vegetables. Some people say the flavor resembles artichokes, though I would say they have their own flavor and texture. They are, to me, a bit tougher than artichoke hearts. In Russia, the roots are used as potato substitutes when potatoes aren't available. Roots can be peeled and sliced into thin pieces and sauteed or cooked with vegetables.

Iroquois Indians dried the roots of the first year plants and used them in soup. They also cooked the large leaves as greens.

The roots can also be roasted, ground, and percolated into a coffee substitute.

An analysis of the root (100 grams or 1/2 cup) shows 50 mg. of calcium, 58 mg. of phosphorus, and 180 mg. of potassium.

The root acts as a diuretic and a diaphoretic. Herbalists claim that it is great as a blood purifying agent where kidney diseases, skin disorders and boils occur. The roots have a high insulin content (27-45%) and are used in making fructose.

Herbalists all over the world use burdock; the roots and seeds are a soothing demulcent, tonic, and alterative that soothes the entire system's mucous membrane. It is also used for rheumatism and kidney diseases.

The leaf can be eaten once boiled; in some cases, two boilings are necessary, depending on your taste. Leaf stems can be eaten peeled, raw or cooked. The erect flower stalks, collected before the flowers open, can be peeled of their bitter green skin and then dried or cooked.

Rattlesnake bite treatment

Burdock leaf is the best herbal treatment for rattlesnake bites, according to Linda Sheer, who grew up in rural Kentucky. Two leaves are simmered in milk, and given to the victim to drink. The burdock helps to counteract the effects of the venom. The body experiences both shock and calcium loss as a result of a rattlesnake bite. The lactose in the milk helps to offset the calcium loss and helps to prevent or reduce shock.

Burdock is frequently collected and burned in autumn by knowledgeable farmers and gardeners. Three pounds of ashes contain 15 oz. of alkaline salts (which is as good as the highest grade potash). The presence of a large amount of burdock on your land generally indicates that the soil has a low pH and is heavy in iron and needs calcium.

Burdock leaves are also used to wrap fish and game before roasting in the coals of a fire pit. Foods cooked this way are mildly seasoned by the leaves.

Last but not least, burdock leaves make ideal toilet paper. :)

Fennel :Waldo:

Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare), a member of the parsley family, is a plant with yellowish flowers that grows up to 8 feet tall. This large herb radiates a sweet, warm licorice odor. While fennel is native to southern Europe, commercial fennel usually comes from Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Egypt, or China. Each part of the fennel plant is edible the--seeds, leaves, stalks, and the bulb.

Fennel doubles as a vegetable and a spice. The sweet-flavored tasty stems, which resemble celery, have a pleasant aniselike flavor. They can be diced into soups and salads, or used for savoring stews and stir-fry vegetables. The feathery leaves can also be used to flavor vegetable dishes.

My kids called Fennel "Eating Flower".

Just before the seeds are ripe I would give them some to eat. They have a very sweet licorice like flavour.

Apparently, in Colonial America they were called 'meetin seeds. When you went to a church service (before braking your fast=breakfast) you would take some seeds to nibble to stave off the hunger pangs during long sermons.

Some recommend seeds today as an appetite suppressant.

There are about three main typesof fennel - Florence fennel, Fennel and Bronze Fennel.

The "bulb" of Florence Fennel is used as a vegetable especially in Italy .

Sliced and quickly pan fried it is delicious.

It is crisp, like celery, and has a mild anise flavour.

Fennel is a roadside weed here and the seeds are mainly used in baking etc.

Bronze Fennel is amazing. It has dark bronze, ferny fronds that look like a fox's tail.

Much beloved by flower arrangers and cottage gardeners.

Its seeds too can be eaten.

Some don't like the licorice flavour that you find in many herbs (tarragon, chervil, tagetes, fennel) others crave it!