Science Forums

Herbs and Herbal Supplements

Racoon

todays herb,

CASCARA SAGRADA (Rhamnus purshiana) also known a BUCKTHORN, this guy works by stimulating the lining of the upper intestines to promote normal Bowel Function. :tongue:

It is one of Mother Nature's more mild an effective laxatives and is effective against chronic constipation...

Overdoses may cause cramps and diarrhea.:)

Most folks don't consider this a mild one. Mild laxatives would include milk of magnesia (a saline cathartic), mineral oil (a lubricant), or psylium (a bulking agent). Most folks consider stimulants (phenolthalein, or cascara) to be more severe therapies. Cascara is generally more likely to cause cramping than phenolthalein (e.g., Ex Lax).

We take a little side track here for variety. :)

Here is a concoction that was 'believed' to promote hair growth around a 130 years ago.

So for any balding men, It couldn't hurt, right? :hihi:

3 quarts Rum (off to a good start...)

1 pint spirit of wine

1 pint water

1/2 ounce extract of"'catharides" -(Spanish flys)

1/2 ounce carbonate of ammonia

1 ounce salt of tartar

Mix ingredients in a bowl. Rub well on hair. Rinse hair with water.

and watch it grow back. ;)

Heres another potent herb! :)

TUMERIC (Circuma longa):Is a common ingredient in curry powder.

Due to it's anti-bacterial properties, Tumeric was used to help preserve food before refrigeration! :)

Indian healers have used Tumeric for more than 3,000 years.

We now know that it has a beneficial effect on the liver, by stimulating the flow of bile and breakdown of dietary fats.

Modern research from Germany and India shows that Circuma longa protects against gallbladder disease, and Studies also confirm that this herb is useful for preventing blood clots! :girl:

Herbalists also recommend it for pain and swelling due to arthritis...

WOW! what an herb :)

Take 1 300 mg capsule up to 3x daily

OR, eat more curry! you also get added benefits of the other herbs that are used to make it.

I've long since had a passion for herbs... (not just those), and this thread is a great reference.

Right on dude! - I think this thread is important; and scientific. :wave:

Growing season is just around the corner, and I see not all of my herbs made it through the winter... although some of them were a few years old...

My Lemon Tree was the latest victim; I may of pulled him in from the cold too late! :eek2:

I will definitely Heat things up when Grow-Time becomes Show-Time! :pirate:

Heres a Quick Hit:

SAFFRON!

It is the Worlds most Expensive herb/spice! Retailing at about $40 bucks an ounce.

It takes 50,000 "stigmata" - a small part of the pistil of the flower - to make a mere 4 ounces. :thumbs_up

At one time Saffron was highly regarded for its medicinal properties. in 1597, English herbalist John Gerard wrote, "For those at deaths door and almost past breathing, Saffron bringeth breath again." :Waldo:

Today its used primarily for cooking by those who can afford it.

CLUB MOSS(Lycopodium clavatum):

American Indians used to sprinkle a powder made from this herb on wounds to stop the bleeding. It was also an old-time treatment for rheumatism?

The powder is sold today in health food stores and herb shops. use on minor skin wounds.

:cup: :)

ICELAND MOSS (Centraria islandica): This plant isn't a moss at all, but rather a Lichen :eek2: (made up of fungus and alga)

It is still used to treat Tuberculosis in some parts of the world, and Iceland Moss is a folk remedy for coughs and congestion due to colds.

Use dried herb to make tea. Mix 1 tsp. in 1/2 cup hot water daily, and sip slowly.

Do not use it for more than 2 weeks at a time. :eek_big:

why not?

:eek_big: Thats the warning on it, so I had to mention it. Like several other herbs, its good to "cycle" them.

Too much of a good thing, becomes a bad thing... may build up a reaction or toxicity

Lichens are kinda' funny I suppose too...:eek2:

I was hoping to a link/suggestion for some ultra mega herbal supply store or something. I'm looking for ideas for my garden this season based upon price and nute requirements really... I'm feeding a 20-20-20 already and I need something that'll take to my garden environment.

EDIT-- I started my Habaneros today, I'm hoping that I got 'em in early enough to let them fully develop before it gets cold again. I come from a long line of capsaicin fanatics.

MEADOWSWEET (Filipendula ulmaria):

This herb was the Favorite of Queen Elizabeth I :D because of its sweet, fragrant scent.

It has been long used for a remedy for flu, fever, and arthritis.

Meadowsweet contains the aspirin-type compoun Salicylic acid. :hihi:

The tea is also regarded as an excellent diuretic.

Make the tea from dried herb and drink 1 cup daily.

I was hoping to a link/suggestion for some ultra mega herbal supply store or something. I'm looking for ideas for my garden this season based upon price and nute requirements really... I'm feeding a 20-20-20 already and I need something that'll take to my garden environment.

EDIT-- I started my Habaneros today, I'm hoping that I got 'em in early enough to let them fully develop before it gets cold again. I come from a long line of capsaicin fanatics.

the only links that i can give you are for psychoactive herbs....want em? :singer:

MOTHERWORT (Leonurus cardiaca):

This herb has been used to treat "Female problems" since ancient times. ;)

it is also considered a Cardiotonic and the Greeks used motherwort to help relieve the pain from childbirth :hyper:

Now it is used by herbalists to help PMS!

So, guys -- now you know what to do. :confused: :)

"Oh, you look Radiant this morning honey! Here, I made you some tea!" :shrug:

Mix 10 -15 drops of extract in warm water, use 1 - 3x daily.

Don't use during pregnancy.

Heres a couple Chinese herbs, while I'm on that thought and topic.B)

DA T'SAO (western name: Jujube date)

And you thought Jujubees were something you bought at the Movie theaters.:cup:

Its really an herb that has a calming effect on the body and is used for treating insomnia and dizziness.

You can find more info and availability in Chinese herb shops.

GAY GEE (western name: Lycii)

This herb is believed to increase longevity and promote cheerfulness. Physicians use it as a treatment for high blood pressure and Kidney disease. :shrug: :shrug:

I better look into this one a little more!

Its found at Chinese herbal shops.