Science Forums

MSG - "Poisoning" chain letter meme

Buffy

And now, two years after I started sounding the alarm on yeast extract, many companies have switched to "torula yeast," which accomplishes the same thing. Other hidden sources of MSG include:

• Autolyzed vegetable protein

• Hydrolyzed vegetable protein

• Calcium caseinate

• Sodium caseinate

• Textured protein

http://m2project.blogspot.com/2006/11/hidden-ingredients-dmbso-how-do-food.html

• 2 weeks later...

This is scary

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=35448817&blogID=198854896

The point i am making here is that MSG is dangerous and it can be found in so many of the foods we eat every day. if you have been feeling any of the symptoms i have listed, start paying attention to what you are eating. if you truly care about your health, take this as a serious warning. even if you have been feeling more lethargic than usual, look into it. remember all of the other names that MSG goes by. write them down and keep the list with you whenever you plan on eating out

also

Obesity Secret Ignored

This was written by:Dr. Russell Blaylock

I am convinced that one of the leading causes of obesity is being totally ignored by both by public officials and the media, despite the fact that there is tremendous scientific evidence confirming its role.

In 1969, neuroscientist Dr. John Olney discovered that feeding newborn rats MSG (monosodium glutamate) caused them to become grossly obese.

http://barefootgarden.blogspot.com/2006/11/obesity-secret-ignored.html

Extra! Extra! Extract!

By HIPPERT(HIPPERT)

It turns out that Autolyzed Yeast Extract can be more commonly known as glutamic acid or MSG (monosodium glutamate). You see, when yeast cells die, they begin a process called autolysis where they divide into proteins, fats, vitamins, ...

HIPPERT'S CURLY HEAD - http://hipperts-head.blogspot.com/index.html

ooh! I got migraine, please help

By Thiasara(Thiasara)

Food that contains Monosodium Glutamate (MSG), cheese, nitrate, chocolate, nuts, alcohol and aspartame could cause migraine. Some of these foods contain tyramine or phenylethylamin, which could expand the blood vessel. ...

Home Remedies and Nutrition Info - http://homeremedy-thiasara.blogspot.com/index.html

• 3 weeks later...

Cognitive impairment and MSG

Deficit in hippocampal long-term potentiation in monosodium ...

Rats subjected to monosodium glutamate(MSG) administration during the neonatal ... neuroendocrine dysfunction associated with marked cognitive deficits. ...

cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=14021361

PIRACETAM -THE ORIGINAL SMART DRUG, The World Health Network ...

Persons consuming large amounts of MSG (monosodium glutamate) and/or ... and pharmacological treatment in cognitive impairment” Life Sci 55, 2057-66. ...

PIRACETAM -THE ORIGINAL SMART DRUG, The World Health Network - Anti-Aging and Longevity - 66k - 14 Dec 2006 - Cached - Similar pages

IngentaConnect Deficit in hippocampal long-term ...onosodium ...

Rats subjected to monosodium glutamate (MSG) administration during the ... that MSG-treated rats display a chronic impairment of CA1 synaptic plasticity. ...

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/search/expand?pub=infobike://els/03619230/2002/00000059/00000001/art00837&unc=

[PDF]

Effect of age and monosodium- <Emphasis Type="SmallCaps">L ...

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat

Peripheral administration of monosodium-L-glutamate (MSG) has been found to be neurotoxic in ... in cognitive function. Recent studies on the functional ...

SpringerLink Home - Main - Similar pages

idebenone article by James South

... the flavor enhancer MSG (monosodium glutamate) and the artificial sweetener ... of cognitive impairment in patients with dementia of the Alzheimer type. ...

idebenone article by James South - 62k - Cached - Similar pages

CNS Spectrums: Dietary-Free Glutamate: Implications for Research ...

Analysis of adverse reactions to monosodium glutamate (MSG). ... by Impulsive Choice, Reward Sensitivity, and Fronto-Striatal Circuit Impairment ...

CNS Spectrums: Dietary-Free Glutamate: Implications for Research on Fear-Overconsolidation and PTSD - 44k - Cached - Similar pages

The Nature of Human Hazards Associated with Excessive Intake of ...

Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (1995) Analysis of Adverse Reactions to Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) (Raiten, D. J., Talbot, J. M., ...

jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/134/6/1633S

• 4 weeks later...

I think I will stop posting here now unless anyone wants help with a Phd thesis.

Well, the food industry continues to make billions at the expense of our health. The use of MSG in food has been linked to obesity and countless illnesses. The first researcher to find evidence of such was Dr. John Olney of the Washington University Medical School in St. Louis, MO. In 1968, he found that MSG injected in mice resulted in serious brain damage and obesity. Since then, MSG has been found to produce the same effect on humans.

Authors of the published book entitled “The Slow Poisoning of America” found evidence that MSG is in fact very addictive and leaves you asking for more of the same, thus contributing to weight gain. The FDA even admits that MSG has been proven to induce asthma attacks. Hence, we still have the cover-up attempts with “MSG Replacers” being manufactured as we speak.

East Texas Weekly Community Newspaper

Wild how some traits in our genes which once proved adaptive are now proving harmful. While I understand it, this point still baffles me:

Authors...found evidence that MSG is in fact very addictive and leaves you asking for more of the same, thus contributing to weight gain. The FDA even admits that MSG has been proven to induce asthma attacks.

:esmoking:MSG

• 1 month later...
Many Asians, including Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans, have "defective" versions of the liver enzyme that helps to detoxify alcohol and get rid of it from the bloodstream.

The Chinese also have some very good herbs for liver damage-alcohol is not the only problem there are parasites and probably hepatitis (which is rife in the pacific)

The Japanese certainly sock away a lot of alcohol.

The worst hangover I ever had was on saki.

I used to have a Chinese employee.

If he ever had a beer at lunch time his face would glow red all afternoon

Be careful mixing MSG with party and smart drugs like Piracetam and others

Persons consuming large amounts of MSG (monosodium glutamate) and/or aspartame in their diet should be cautious in using PIR, as should those who are highly sensitive to MSG-laden food (the "Chinese restaurant syndrome").

Caffeine also potentiates PIRÔs effects, as do other nootropics such as deprenyl, idebenone, vinpocetine and centrophenoxine, and it may be necessary to use PIR in a lower dosage range if also using any of these drugs regularly.

Those wishing to augment PIRÔs cholinergic effects may wish to combine it with cyprodenate or centrophenoxine, which are much more powerful Ach enhancers than choline or lecithin.

Piracetam

The Chinese also have some very good herbs for liver damage-alcohol is not the only problem there are parasites and probably hepatitis (which is rife in the pacific)

The Japanese certainly sock away a lot of alcohol.

The worst hangover I ever had was on saki.

I used to have a Chinese employee.

If he ever had a beer at lunch time his face would glow red all afternoon

Be careful mixing MSG with party and smart drugs like Piracetam and others

Piracetam

Yes, that is very true. Hepatitis viruses (B & C, IIRC) are also major contributors to liver cirrhosis and cancer in East Asia, through constant scarring and destructive immune response in the liver. I've seen the problems of hepatitis firsthand with some of my Taiwanese relatives.

I love Japanese food

So a friend has written a little card for me in Japanese, which I flash in restaurants, which says:

"Do not give this White Devil MSG he will DIE and then sue you"

It seems to have worked so far

How can the Japanese cope with so much MSG????

Can you scan this card and send it to me, please?

I love Japanese food the most and would really like to cull the MSG. (I don't have any Japanese friends)

• 1 month later...
Can you scan this card and send it to me, please?

I love Japanese food the most and would really like to cull the MSG. (I don't have any Japanese friends)

I have lost it.

I will ask her for another and post it here

MSG causes cognitive impairment

Entrez PubMed

Rats subjected to monosodium glutamate (MSG) administration during the neonatal period present chronic neuroendocrine dysfunction associated with marked cognitive deficits.

MSG and migraine

Food Triggers

By webgator

Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) is probably public enemy number one when it comes to food additives and migraines. ... MSG, common name for monosodium glutamate, a flavor enhancer which is now in almost universal use in almost all processed ...

Healthy Eating - Salad - http://salad.tophealthyeating.info

MSG and weight gain/loss

Avoid excitotoxins in foods

The other thing that I guarantee most people haven't tried in terms of losing weight is avoiding all of the chemicals added to foods to make you hungry. These chemicals are called excitotoxins. The most common one is monosodium glutamate, or MSG. This ingredient is hidden in lots of other food ingredients such as yeast extract, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, autolyzed vegetable protein and so on. This chemical interferes with the normal healthy function of your endocrine system. That's the system that regulates appetite in your body. When this system isn't functioning correctly, your body never knows when you've eaten enough, so it never turns off your appetite and you continue to eat and eat and eat.

Dr. Banas' Blog - Dr. Banas' Blog

Vaccine and MSG anyone?

what is in vaccines???

By Vaccination Information(Vaccination Information)

Some additional ingredients in vaccines (as listed by the CDC on their website) include antibiotics, aluminum gels, formaldehyde, monosodium glutamate (MSG), egg protein, and sulfites. Thus, we have antibiotics (which you could be ...

Vaccine Information - Vaccine Information

Neurotoxin anyone?

What is Monosodium Glutamate? MSG is a neurotoxin, a toxic ...

By admin

What is Monosodium Glutamate? MSG is a neurotoxin, a toxic substance used to fool the brain into telling your tastes buds that the food youre eating tastes better than it really does...

healthcare - http://www.enreek.com/healthcare

More salt anyone? Great for increasing BP

Discover the SECRET names of Salt

By VigoaCuisine

Other such listings are Salt(sodium chloride), Monosodium glutamate (MSG), Baking soda(sodium bicarbonate), and baking powder. Plus many more, if you would like the list of the other names for sodium, ...

Dash of Splash - Dash of Splash

Seriously sensitive people

Ed Bradley - Courageously Tackled MSG

Yesterday broadcast journalist Ed Bradley died of leukemia. While I don't regularly watch television, I will miss Bradley for his integrity, and willingness to take a balanced, yet substantive approach to the topics he reported on.

In 1991, Bradley interviewed me as part of a segment on the safety of monosodium glutamate (MSG) as a food additive. Bradley's interview came when I was in second grade, shortly after I was hospitalized for five days for going into severe respiratory arrest. My condition did not improve immediately in the hospital, which the doctor later attributed to me being fed hospital food containing large amounts of MSG. Already having asthma, the doctor determined that my dinner at a Chinese restaurant the evening of my attack was the trigger, due to the food containing a large amount of MSG.

After the attack, my diet had to be completely reexamined, and MSG was purged from my diet as best it could be. The task was a challenge, because the trigger in MSG is processed free glutamic acid, which does not have to be clearly labeled on food labels. Ubiquitous ingredients such as "spices", "natural flavors", and "flavoring" became my worst enemies, for their likelihood to contain free glutamic acid. Bradley focused on the regulatory history of MSG, its prevalence in food, and the symptoms reported by people like me who have a particular sensitivity to MSG. The 60 Minutes segment on MSG was one of the first and last times that a television news journal brought attention to the questions of safety surrounding MSG.

Since the 60 Minutes episode aired, the FDA has revisited its regulatory requirements several times, noting that while the information it had suggests it is safe for general consumption, a significant yet unknown percentage of the population may have a moderate to severe reaction to MSG.

The Coffeehouse Soapbox: Ed Bradley - Courageously Tackled MSG

• 1 month later...

blog.myspace.com/uncagedtiger

Monosodium glutamate (MSG)

MSG is used as a flavor enhancer in many packaged foods, including soups, salad dressings, sausages, hot dogs, canned tuna, potato chips and many more. According to Dr. Russell Blaylock, an author and neurosurgeon, there is a link between sudden cardiac death, particularly in athletes, and excitotoxic damage caused by food additives like MSG and artificial sweeteners. Excitotoxins are, according to Dr. Blaylock, "A group of excitatory amino acids that can cause sensitive neurons to die."

Many consumers have also personally experienced the ill effects of MSG, which leave them with a headache, nausea or vomiting after eating MSG-containing foods. To find out more about the side effects associated with MSG, as well as a complete list of which foods contain it, see our past article MSG: If it's Safe: Why do They Disguise it on the Labels?

• 2 weeks later...
MSG is being sprayed right on fruits, nuts, seeds, grains, and vegetables as they grow --

even those used in baby food

In the 1970s, reluctant food processors "voluntarily" took processed free glutamic acid (MSG) out of baby food. Today it's back, in fertilizers called "Omega Protein Refined/Hydrolyzed Fish Emulsion" and "Steam Hydrolyzed Feather Meal," both of which contain hydrolyzed proteins; and in a product called AuxiGro WP Plant Metabolic Primer (AuxiGro) produced by Emerald BioAgriculture (formerly Auxein Corporation), which contains both hydrolyzed protein(s) and "monosodium glutamate." AuxiGro is being sprayed on some of the vegetables we and our children will eat, into the air we and our children must breath, and onto the ground from which it can move into drinking water. Head lettuce, leaf lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, and peanuts were among the first crops targeted. On September 12, 2000, the Auxein Corporation Web site gave the following information:

Crops registered include: Celery; Fresh Market Cucumbers; Edible Navy and Pinto Beans; Grapes; Bulb Onions; Bell, Green and Jalapeno Peppers; Iceberg Head Lettuce; Romaine and Butter Leaf Lettuce; Peanuts; Potatoes; Snap Beans; Strawberries; Processing Tomatoes; Fresh Tomatoes; and Watermelons.

Today, there is no crop that we know of that has not been approved for treatment with MSG by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Even in California -- the only state where there are any restrictions on the use of AuxiGro -- AuxiGro has been approved for use on a number of crops, and Emerald BioAgriculture continues to push for more. Field tests in California have been -- and may continue to be -- conducted on a variety of crops, and those AuxiGro treated crops may be sold in the open market without revealing that they have been treated. We can't tell you which crops those are because the CDPR has refused to send records of test trials (which are public information) to the Truth in Labeling Campaign.

As of June 13, 2002, AuxiGro was registered for use in California on tomatoes, almonds, apricots, cherries, plums, nectarines, peaches, prunes, grapes (including grapes to be used in wine), and onions.

MSG Sprayed on Growing Fruits and Vegetables

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Deficits in water escape performance and alterations in hippocampal cholinergic mechanisms associated with neonatal monosodium glutamate treatment in mice.

PT Wong, LH Neo, WL Teo, H Feng, YD Xue, WH Loke

Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Kent Ridge, Singapore.

Mice treated neonatally with monosodium glutamate (MSG) were found to have learning and memory deficits in performing a non-spatial water escape task.

Deficits in water escape performance and alterations in hippocampal cholinergic mechanisms associated with neonatal monosodium glutamate treatment in mice.

• 3 weeks later...

This is an intresting detailed link

Body Systems Affected by MSG

bullet

Allergic response – MSG is not a true allergen but may directly affect immune response by stimulating or damaging the nervous system. In studies done recently on animals, food allergies may be caused by a lack of Interleukin 12. This substance is made by cells in the body - oligodendrocytes, that are killed by excess glutamate. Also - Over 85% of individuals with Type 1 Diabetes have antibodies to the enzyme the body uses to turn Glutamate into GABA - glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD). Their immune system attacks the means by which glutamate is metabolized, even though it does not attack glutamate itself. Because of their immune response to GAD, Type 1

Blood vessels – Glutamate is vasoactive - it changes the diameter of the blood vessels - one reason why it may cause headaches.

diabetics are at risk of having an excess of glutamate in their systems already.

Body Systems Affected by MSG

Disease States Affected by MSG

• ADD/ADHD

• Addiction

• Alcoholism

•  
  • Allergy

• A.L.S.

• Alzheimer's Disease

• Asthma

• Atrial Fibrillation

• Autism

• Diabetes

• Depression

•  
  • Dizziness

•  
  • Epilepsy

• Fibromyalgia

•  
  • Heat Stroke

•  
  • High Blood Pressure

•  
  • Hypothyroidism

• Hypoglycemia

• IBS

•  
  • Inflammation
  • bullet

• Migraine

• Multiple Sclerosis

•  
  • Obesity

•  
  • Pituitary tumors

•  
  • Rage/Panic Disorder

• Rosacea

• Sleep Disorders

• Tinnitus

• Vision Problems

Quote:

Depression

In Canada from 1995- 2000 visits to doctors for depression rose 36% in just 6 years. Also, since 1996 prescriptions to treat depression increased 63%.

China, a large consumer of MSG, accounts for 42% of all suicides in the world.

According to this recent article, 250,000 people commit suicide in China each year. Suicide and depression among China's youth is becoming a serious public health issue in China.

The Hindu News Update Service

According to the following link suicides have increased - especially in the age groups of those who consume large amounts of MSG in fast foods:

Note: "Persons under age 25 accounted for 15% of all suicides in 1998. From 1952-1995, the incidence of suicide among adolescents and young adults nearly tripled. From 1980-1997, the rate of suicide among persons aged 15-19 years increased by 11% and among persons aged 10-14 years by 109%. From 1980-1996, the rate increased 105% for African-American males aged 15-19."

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/factsheets/suifacts.htm

Disease Statistics

• 2 weeks later...

The Shocking Dangers of MSG You Don’t Know - Articles

The Shocking Dangers of MSG You Don’t Know

POSTED BY

Dr. Mercola

August 28 2007

A silent killer that’s worse than alcohol, nicotine, and drugs is likely lurking your kitchen cabinets and even your child’s school cafeteria. It’s monosodium glutamate (MSG), a flavor enhancer that’s known widely as an addition to Chinese food, but that’s actually added to thousands of the foods you eat.

In this telling three-part video series, you’ll find out why Dr. Russell Blaylock, a board-certified neurosurgeon, describes MSG as a dangerous excitotoxin, and learn how this toxin could be making you fat.

Part 1

Part 2

FucoTHIN

Part 3

Dr. Mercola

MSG is used in countless foods in your supermarket, local restaurants, school cafeterias, and more. Everything from soup to crackers to meats may contain it because MSG, as dangerous as it is, makes food taste good and it is dirt cheap, just like sugar.

Incredibly, even infant formulas and baby food contain this poison, even though babies and infants, who are four times more sensitive than adults to the toxic effects of this chemical, are the most at risk.

There are a couple of main reasons why MSG is one of the worst food additives on the market. First, as Dr. Blaylock, author of the highly recommended Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills, says in the video, MSG is an excitotoxin, which means that it overexcites your cells to the point of damage, acting as a poison. The second part of the equation is that MSG can be literally hidden in food labels, under names like broth, casein, hydrolyzed, autolyzed, and more, making it extremely difficult to identify.

MSG is also a probable cause contributing to the obesity epidemic. As the FDA continues to vouch for its safety, scientists have known that MSG causes obesity since the 1960s!

It is clearly not worth a few bites of tasty junk food to give your body the green light to produce visceral fat, the most dangerous type that surrounds your organs and increases your risk of heart attack, stroke, insomnia, type 2 diabetes, and more.

Yet, that is exactly what you’re doing when you eat foods that contain MSG.

Eliminating MSG from your diet is a wise choice for everyone, including pregnant women. To do so, stick to natural, unprocessed foods. And, if you do eat processed foods, be on the lookout for the many hidden names for MSG on food labels. They include (but are far from limited to):

* Gelatin

* Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein (HVP)

* Yeast Extract

* Malted Barley

* Rice Syrup or Brown Rice Syrup

The dangers surrounding MSG are, perhaps, most concerning for new moms who are unable to breastfeed, and are looking for an alternative to the MSG-laden infant formulas on the market. Fortunately, women who are unable to breastfeed can make an extremely nutritious, MSG-free infant formula for their baby using raw milk.

nergymaster

said:

August 30, 2007

Allow me to give a brief history of how MSG came to be discovered and perverted into what it now is.

MSG, the sodium salt of the amino acid glutamic acid and a form of glutamate, has no distinct taste of its own, and how it adds flavor to other foods is not fully understood.

Asians had originally used the “kombu” seaweed’s broth as a flavor enhancer, without understanding that glutamic acid was its flavor-enhancing component. In 1908, a multi-million-dollar industry was born when Professor Kikunae Ikeda of the University of Tokyo isolated monosodium glutamate using kombu. He noted that the Glutamate had a distinctive taste, different from sweet, sour, bitter and salty; he gave this taste the name “umami”. Umami, translates roughly to savory or meaty in the English language.

In 1909 MSG entered the marketplace as Aji-no-moto, a product so successful the company reorganized itself around the substance. At this point MSG was not poisonious. .

A slow and costly extraction process was used to produce MSG until 1956, when the Japanese succeeded in producing glutamic acid by means of fermentation, and large-scale production of MSG began.

This is the excitotoxin we now know as MSG....different than the original seaweed extractive originally discovered.

Today, the Ajinomoto Group’s 15 factories supply about one third of the 1.5 million-tons of MSG sold annually.

If anyone who doesn't know about it wants to get the very best alt health newletter (paper) in the country, check out Dr David Williams alternatives newsletter, it's where I learned about this and a myriad of other topics.

I have personally witnessed people having a MSG reaction, don't believe the FDA,