Science Forums

Why not?

goku

why not believe the Bible?

everything it teaches is good, right?

it's okay to care one for another, right?

what does the Bible say that people are so mad?, scared?, confused about?

i mean what's the big deal?

do the non-believers know why they don't believe?

alot of people here seem to know much about the Bible, but, don't believe in God?

what's up with that?

answer all or some of the questions, if you like :naughty: thanks

alot of people here seem to know much about the Bible, but, don't believe in God?

what's up with that?

answer all or some of the questions, if you like :naughty: thanks

Almost the exact set of questions could hold for any holy book. Why not believe the Koran?

My reasons for not believing the bible is word for word truth is that when I look with a critical eye, I can't help but view the bible as a work of man, cobbled together over may years. God gave me my brain, eyes, and ears, so I think I owe it to him/her to use them, even when it comes to the bible. (and other religious texts, for that matter).

-Will

Im with you goku.

I would say that the vast majority of folks around here are coming from the perspective that over the past hundred years or so, mankind has advanced technologicaly to the point where our understanding of the Earth and the universe has created;- (for them what is seen to be an advancement in human potential; even so far as to believe they are "climbing the evolutionary ladder of success"); but that is seen by others to be nothing more than a self induced grand illusion.

The ever increasing mountain of knowledge that mankind is continually accumulating for themselves, is coming in conflict with what has been seen in the past as undeniable fact - especially in regard to "religious" matters; and to be quite frank with you, there are some seriously legitimate questions about some of these age old beliefs.

But every question has an answer, whether or not it's the one you/they want to here or not; and whether or not it is discovered in your lifetme. It appears that many "grow weary" of self introspection, and external investigation in matters that ultimately have no Earthly answer anyway; and it is easier to deal with the tangible, mentally fathomable questions of materalism and humanism.

Of course there are many other factors at play; but as far as I'm concerned it comes right down to this verse and others like it: "The natural man does not recieve the things of the spirit of God; neither can he know them because they are spiritually discerned".

i believe the Bible is perfect. (KJV)

the ink may be of man but the words are of God.

But why would the king james version be perfect? Why not one of the other many translations? If God wanted his words perfect, why would he allow multiple translations? Why wouldn't he make the original perfect, why just one translation?

Jesus is of man, do you not believe him as well?

I don't believe God would be so closed as to only allow followers of one religion to get to heaven.

-Will

But why would the king james version be perfect? Why not one of the other many translations? If God wanted his words perfect, why would he allow multiple translations? Why wouldn't he make the original perfect, why just one translation?

i'm not necessarily saying the others are not perfect, just that the KJV is the only one i trust. it worked for my father and his father, and me

I don't believe God would be so closed as to only allow followers of one religion to get to heaven.

-Will

it doesn't matter what religion you follow. all that matters is the blood of Jesus.

why not believe the Koran?

what does the Koran say that people are so mad?, scared?, confused about?

alot of people here seem to know much about the Koran, but, don't believe in Allah?

what's up with that?

You see, goku, the Bible is not the only sacred text. Tell me, what makes christianity better than muslims, jews, etc.?

not saying i'm any better.

so, do you believe the Koran? the Bible?

if not, why?

I don't know what's there to believe other than the New Testament. If you ask me, those Adam and Eve, Noah's ark, etc. stories are just that, stories. None are real. They are not meant to be taken literally

About the teachings of any sacred book, I agree with many of them, but disagree with another few... I make my own mind of moral standards and teachings...

Why do not I believe in the Old Testament stories? Well, because I do think that scientists are right when they say that the Earth is millions years old and fossils (apparently) show that too. I also believe that there's extraterrestial life out there. Why? Well, because I do think that if god (if there's one) made more creatures on other planets... I mean, why not? god didn't make a so big universe to just make a creation on one planet...

because it hasn't caught me as the end-all of texts.

Somehow I don't agree with the moral lesson of Cain & Abel.

yes, but heavy-handed vengance isn't quite as universal.

Kill everyone who beleives in another spiritual system.

Indeed, why do bible-thumpers ask us to review it again and again? Are they hoping we'll see some miraculous new words to make us beleive all the rest is true?

I would hope so, otherwise they'd be agnostic.

alot of people here seem to know much about the Bible, but, don't believe in God?It comes from having it puhed in your face all the time; like a surgon on a battlefeild, repeated exposure to the inner workings tends to breed familliarity. Hindus, Taoists, Sufi, Cristians, Jesuits and all others look pritty much the same once you're under the skin.

what's up with that?

What's up indeed? can't the people who talk to god keep their conversations private?

Somehow I don't agree with the moral lesson of Cain & Abel.
what?
heavy-handed vengance isn't quite as universal.
what?
Kill everyone who beleives in another spiritual system.
what?
Hindus, Taoists, Sufi, Cristians, Jesuits and all others look pritty much the same once you're under the skin.
they all are human, but, there should something different about true christians.