Science Forums

Current Science Fiction = Future Science Fact?

What do ya'll think? Will we ever develop technology like on Star Trek and Star Wars? I saw an article in Popular Science a while ago that showed disigns scientist have for a warp drive, and the awesome thing was that a lot of them were VERY similar to what they "use" on Star Trek. But if they will work, who knows?

Noah

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have one question :

If they can transport a bean -----they could transport a person with average mass= 1000 the mass of the bean with about 100 000 000 times more powerful "ray" or whatever it is. In this case the transfer in seconds could be posiblly about 1 000 000 000 times the bean time transfer for about 10 m right? How are the scientists going to deal with time? They could lose the person......he may never come back! As the amount of time of being (no where) increases so does the risk. Don't you all think?

Thank you

Regards to all

Eva H.I.

Yes, and another problem brought up about "transporters" is the energy they produce. If you transform an entire human into energy, you will have a MASSIVE amount of energy to deal with. But who knows what time and technology will bring us.

Noah

Yeah I agree.....if the person is transfered into energy and the experiment doesn't complete because it will be dense(there's no disagreement on that). You never know how dense a human could be as some form of energy. And another problem occurs--brain affection or never resolving back in normal shape. There could be brain....body,blood mostly(radiation), affections. There could be fatal damages. What I sugest is high electronic technics and instead of turning into energy the person,we turn a machine into energy form that could transfer him/her very easly and fast without damaging any part of the body in any way. I think it's safer.

But it all depends on Physics and Chemistry and math and if they all combined we could fix something up. It could be posible. But we have to include the time as major trouble maker in such experiment.

• 1 month later...

It is a remarkable but verifiable fact that mankind is wholly incapable of predicting its future - through its priests, its madmen, its laity, or its scientists. No stated vision of the future has ever come true. Whether it is an HP calculator killing the slide rule, CDs killing licorice pizzas, PCR and recombinant DNA, the Soviet implosion, or the Net and e-mail remaking the whole of First World civilization... nobody saw it coming. Nobody.

Science fiction exists to expose defective futures, thereby rendering them impossible. Imagine everything you can. The future lies huddled in the untouched residue, precisely like the very last entity remaining after Pandora opened the damned box. NASA hasn't got a chance.

• 2 months later...

Hmmmh, what about Jules Verne for instance, didn't he predict a submarine, a trip to the moon(OK, we didn't actualy use a cannon, but ok), then a hot air baloon and a lot more things that were thought to be a sci-fi. Then, if you look at Da Vinci(helicopter, parashoot,...).

Modern sci-fi(cyberpunk, neocyberpunk) talks about things that are not so far away, and you could easily draw paralels with the things that already exist. Star trek(star wars) is more a pop sci-fi, then anything else, made for masses, but still there are few things that are not so sci-fi anymore:

teleporter - Hmmm, didn't "we" already teleport a photon?

Phasor beam - paralel with a laser beam, that we use in mining to surgery(nothing special actually)

Holodeck - A mix of computer games and VR(huh i can't wait to play Baldurs gate VIII in holodeck)

k.

Doing a little more reading, some say it's not quite that simple.

1. Teleporter-It is said that we will have problems with anything over the atomic level, and no way we could transport a human.

2. Phaser Beam-If it is a "laser beam", then yes, we already have it. But you could be dodging it like you see on TV.

3. Holodeck. One problem is making a light projection solid. In ST. it says it uses a magnetic contament field to hold the photons in, but light is not affected by a magnetic field.

But that does not mean that we really won't figure out a way to do these things. It would be nice if we did, hopefully in my lifetime

Hmmm. That is interesting, and a start! But it is still not a solid projection. But for games, I guess you wouldn't have to have solid projections.

How much are they? Couldn't locate the price, which must mean their very expensive

Noah

Noah,

you said:

light is not affected by a magnetic field

I may be way out of my field here, but I just read a biography of Michael Faraday. In the entry for Faraday at MSN Encarta, it says:

In experimenting with magnetism, Faraday made two discoveries of great importance; one was the existence of diamagnetism, and the other was the fact that a magnetic field has the power to rotate the plane of polarized light passing through certain types of glass.

Encarta: Michael Faraday

Does this mean that light can actually be affected by a magnetic field, or am I interpreting this incorrectly?

Tormod

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

i can honestly say that i belive we already have alot of technology that the govenrment is not letting out to the public. they have done it for many years, and are still doing it. i am in a class called Junior Air Force ROTC. they recently showed a video on stealth technology, there were still clasified topics in the video, they showed a brief picture of it, but that is all they would alow, and this is a new tape. ask yourself this question, do you think humanity is ready for such technology? no. i do not. guess why. because the government hid it al from us for so long. i think it is supposed to be another twelve years before they finally release information, as what my ROTC teacher has informed me.