Science Forums

360 reloaded

lol, there has been much debate oevr which gaming console will be better, Xbox 360 or the new PS3, and one fact remains, microsoft designs their gaming consoles like their OS. Turns out that there are a bunch of problems with 360 that turned out a few days after they came out, main one being that some 360s crash every 20 minutes or so (there is a neat fix), some scratch disks, and all of this is not widespread enough for microsoft to call in a recall on their product, although from what this says:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1892779,00.asp

the widespread of MS disease is pretty big... to me, still 400 bucks is not worth the console, even if the Free60 project suceeds...

a lot of people say that the price is really high -well yeah it seems that way, but it is a fairly powerful system for its price. When they dropped the price of the first xbox they dropped it below manufacturing costs, so microsoft where apparently lossing money with every console sold.

Where they get you is with the games, now they pricey. I bought 3 games when the xbox first came out and that cost as much as the console itself. No wonder they are so uptight about piracy. AAHHHRRGG:D

(P.S we need an emoticon with an eye patch :) )

The constant upgrading of graphics cards etc is why I turned to a console and stopped playing on my PC. A new graphics card costs as much as I paid for my Xbox. ;)

Did ya count the net adapter, extra controller and tv? LOL

Tip buy one generation behind the curve from ebay :) and OC to hell and back ;)

I got a 3.0 p4 - 1g ddr 3200 dual - asus 875p mobo - and an fx5700ultra agp 8x and I play half life 2 cranked without noticing frames. I haven't over clocked yet, but my temps don't change under load by more than a few deg C.

I’m not terribly surprised to hear these problem reports with the Xbox360 – a little, given the size and supposed first-rate-ness of its developers, but not terribly. They clearly rushed to get the machine and its few games to market for whatever reasons their somewhat mysterious marketing strategy holds, and bugs are usually the price one pays for rushing.

Though gamers and reviewers are mostly interested in a console’s price, physical and graphical prettiness and performance, and how good its games are, it’s important to note that neither the Xbox or the Xbox360 are really competing with Gamecube, PS2 or PS3 in this arena. Where Micro$oft expects Xbox to hand Sony and Nintendo their collective arses is in ease of game development. The Xbox SDK is already dramatically better than anything else on the market, and MS is throwing major resources into providing great support for developers. Their strategy appears to be: win the developers; publish the best games; win the gamers. It’s hard to find fundamental fault with this strategy. What’s perplexing, especially, I imagine, for MS, is that this strategy should have already worked – the Xbox should have made Sony and Nintendo minor vendors by now. It hasn’t – PS2 still holds a significant lead in the console market.

Personally, I think both Xbox360 and PS3, incremental if impressive improvements on their predecessor machines, are going to get beaten up by the Nintendo Revolution, with its bold new direction in controllers (ye gawds, I sound like a marketing copywriter!). Time will tell, but I know that, presented with the choice of an Xbox360, a PS3, or a Revolution, I’d without hesitation pick the Revolution.

… hem … sounds like a question in need of a poll …

What’s perplexing, especially, I imagine, for MS, is that this strategy should have already worked – the Xbox should have made Sony and Nintendo minor vendors by now. It hasn’t – PS2 still holds a significant lead in the console market.

I heard on g4tv that xbox 180 :) bombed in Japan because it was big and square. Also Japanese developers steered clear, cuz of sales maybe, I don't remember.

Personally, I think both Xbox360 and PS3, incremental if impressive improvements on their predecessor machines, are going to get beaten up by the Nintendo Revolution, with its bold new direction in controllers

dont get me wrong, i know about the size of the revolution and all kinds of new Mario games that it could spawn, personally, looking at it from a computer point of view, revolution is up there with 360 as a PC, but nothing, not within miles and miles, compares to the processing power of PS3, that and how easy it will turn into one, miles and miles of difference....