Science Forums

The Jesus

GAHD

I was havinga discussion with a few people on ancient history, and one of the more interesting things to come up was the idea that Jesus was a Title and Position, not a specific person's name.

It's an interesting thought, if the guy who got nailed was just one of a line of Jesus', what would it mean if it were true? Could it be a position similar to what we now call the pope?

interesting subject :umno:

but i think that comparing jesus to the pope is a bit silly.

the pope is the absolute apposite of jesus. :shrug:

i think he means well, but, he's workin for the devil and doesn't even know it.

the pope is just a man, jesus is as much god as he is man.

if jesus was just a title, then we would still be living under the law of moses, the ten commandments. we would have to sacrifice animals for our sins. :hihi:

After more conversation the idea was clarified to mean that the 'Jesus' title would be similar to the other holyman titles; like the pope, whatever osama calls himself, High Preist, Cult-lord, etc...

That would explain the 'ressurection', I've also heard that the roman judeje on hand refused to sanction the crusifiction; possibly because it was the wrong Jesus?

Assuming Jesus as just a man who had a legend built around him(true or not), this wouln't quite fit; but if it was a series of men it might work out.

The basic root name of Jesus comes from the Hebrew name HO-SH-U-A (Joshua) meaning "Salvation." After numerous translations, in the 12th Century the English name Jesus stuck. Joshua was supposedly a common name in new testiment times. Like John these days. Although most names in Western culture don't attach themselves to any significant meaning.

Interesting angle!

Although I suppose that the Q'uran reference to the same Jesus the Christians believe in, but in the position of a prophet and not the son of God kinda sinks it.

But then it should be said that the Muslim faith came into being when Christianity was well-established, and they might have referred to 'Jesus' simply as a tool to appease Christians, or it might even have served as a tool to convert some of the non-believers to Islam.

Interesting, nonetheless.

i think he means well, but, he's workin for the devil and doesn't even know it.

goku, I have to warn you that Catholic members of this forum will find this comment of yours highly offensive.

Hypography isn't a 'Protestant' site, neither is it a Christian or Muslim or Buddhist site.

We should keep in mind that members here include all imaginable religions, and we should respect that in our posts, as well as in our references to their religious institutions - for instance the Pope.

I was havinga discussion with a few people on ancient history, and one of the more interesting things to come up was the idea that Jesus was a Title and Position, not a specific person's name.
Jesus is a common, anglicized proper noun – a name. “Christ” is a Greek word equivalent to the Hebrew “Messiah”. According to the Catholic Church, the proper full name and title for the focal figure of their religion is “Jesus the Christ”. The relationship between Jesus the Christ and Christians is described by the term “Lord” – Jesus the Christ is the Lord of the Christians. The term, or a variation, “landlord” is also used to describe the relationship between an landowner and his tenants.
It's an interesting thought, if the guy who got nailed was just one of a line of Jesus', what would it mean if it were true? Could it be a position similar to what we now call the pope?
“Pope” is an informal title for the Bishop of Rome. The Pope is considered to be the successor to an unbroken succession that began with St. Peter, who is believed by Christians to have been a disciple of Jesus the Christ. This succession is disputed by some, but not all Christian churches – for example, Episcopals and Mormons claim to have among their clergy the true successor of Peter, while Methodists do not.

Most Christians believe that there has been one Christ, Jesus, ca. the year 1 AD, and that there will be exactly one more time, in the “end times” (“eschaton” in Latin), perhaps in the year 666 AD, 1000 AD, 2000 AD, or 2030 AD. Some theologists believe that early Christians expected the 2nd coming of Christ to occur much earlier than any of these dates. Some Christians believe that the 2nd coming of Christ has already occurred, and that the end times have been going on for many years or centuries.

Most Muslims believe that there have been 25 prophets of God (AKA prophets of Islam), including Adam, Moses, Jesus, and, most recently, Muhammad. A few, but not most, believe that there will be more prophets in the future.

According to a “fringe” religion I find interesting, the Aquarian Gospel, written by Levi Dowling in the late 19th century, there is a new Christ about every 2,100 years, as the precession of the earth causes it to enter each of the 12 “houses of the Zodiac”. According to this scripture, Adam was the Christ of the Taurian Age, Abraham of the Arian Age, and Jesus of the Piscean Age. The earth is just now entering the Age of Aquarius (inspiring a song of the same name in the 1960s musical “Hair”), and will soon have a new, 4th Christ.

...Assuming Jesus as just a man who had a legend built around him(true or not), this wouln't quite fit; but if it was a series of men it might work out.
For at least 20 years, books such as ”The Christ Conspiracy” http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0932813747 and ”The Passover Plot” http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1852308362 have offered the speculation that the crucifixion was a purposeful, calculated hoax. According to some versions, Jesus was an accomplished physical adept, able to endure seemingly fatal injury, feign death, then appear to come back to life. According to others, his post-resurrection ministry was carried out by an imposter, perhaps his cousin James, son of his uncle, Joseph of Arimathea. One I’ve read claims both: that Jesus attempted to feign his death and resurrection, but failed, actually dieing, with James stepping in to save the ministry from ruin.

To the best of my knowledge, no church accepts any of these speculations, though I know a few self-described Christians who do. Most Christians I know find the speculation heretical and offensive. My apologies to anyone with this reaction – I seek merely to bring this family of writing to everyone’s attention, not offer any opinion concerning their accuracy.

For at least 20 years, books such as ”The Christ Conspiracy” and ”The Passover Plot” have offered the speculation that the crucifixion was a purposeful, calculated hoax.
The problem with religious discourse at almost any level is that ultimately it amounts to whoever has the most convincing opinion at the time. There's no method for testing hypotheses or verifying the accuracy of the contemporaneous reporters. We don't even know if our own media is conveying factual information. Fox News has an uncanny ability to say something that is close enough to the truth but just slanted sufficiently to convince people of an untruth. Our emotions often dictate our perception of reality.