Science Forums

Man possibly cured from AIDS

rockytriton

The HIV gets into cells by attaching itself to two extracellular protiens ( i don't remeber exactly which ones nor thier imprtance) that then allow the virus to enter the cell. There a very few cases (about 5 known?) where the individuals lack one of these protiens, so even though each person carries the virus and can pass it on to others, they themselves do not contract the disease or have any symptoms of HIV/AIDS. It would really be amazing if the british man's body just "turned off" one of the protiens that give the virus acess to the cells.

• 1 month later...

I was a professional quack :hihi: for nearly 20 years: I practiced chiropractic. During that time, I saw many people benefit from chiropractic adjustments, even though they had no right for doing so (according to my betters in the medical professions. :hihi:

I offer the following anecdote, not as a claim that chiropractic is a cure for AIDS, which one of my colleagues unfortunately started claiming, but as a datum to be added to onto the pile.

The type of chiropractic that I practiced is known as SOT (Sacro-Occipital Technique), and I sometimes used an offshoot of SOT called cranial adjustments.

One day in the AIDS-panicked days in the mid-1980s, a woman brought to my office her ostensible husband. I doubted that their marriage had ever been consumated for several reasons which are irrelevant in this discussion. The reason the man came in is that he had been positively diagnosed through a blood test as having AIDS.

Among other diagnostic tests, I examined the functioning of his cranial nerves. These tests revealed problems with several cranial nerves.

The man agreed to come in for chiropractic care, and I administered standard SOT chiropractic adjustments and SOT cranial adjustments. My aim was not to cure him, but to make his remaining time more comfortable. This was a time when AIDS patients didn't survive very long. The "in" joke among health-care providers was to tell dying people not to bother buying long-playing records (Remember those? Even LPs were a dying breed by this time)

Back to the story: The patient came in semi-regularly on a weekly to biweekly basis for about 4 or 5 months. He seemed to be improving. Then one day, he told me that he got a negative HIV test. I dismissed this in my own mind. I examined his cranial nerves, and they seemed fine. Great, I was happy for him.

That's the last I saw of him. I never, ever considered this story to prove anything; but reading about someone who apparently tested the same way inspired me to share this story.