Science Forums

Pharmacist makes a lot of money?

Hsu_Chen_Mei

My Aunt's a Pharmacist and she's making about $18 an hour... That's good pay to me :lol:. It doesn't seem like very hard work, I've been to work with her a couple of times and it's all pretty simple stuff :hihi:.

Ahh ha. So if I be a pharmacist, I can sit there chatting online while doing the work, right?

So for most pharmacist workers, what's their age be average?

people that are into any field because they are in to make money inhale vigorously in an upwards and outwards motion somewhat convulsively...

seriously, just do what you really want to, the most happy salary is calculated to be around $40,000 a year, that is enough to pay for a car, a house and not have to scramble for money for food, so my suggestion, do what you want to do in your life, not what pays the most otherwise you will be one of those miserable people when you hit your 50's, lived your life and never had fun, and thats something i dont think any of us want to become at that age...

Gang-

Pharmacists don't invent medicines, they dispense them. Some portion of pharmacists are active in clinical settings (which means they are involved in therapeutic decision making) but very few are involved in pharmaceutical research. Those folks are usually Ph Ds in pharmaceutical chemistry, medicinal chemistry or occasionally pharmacology.

In the US, a line pharmacist (not a manger) usually makes between $80,000 and $100,00 per year for regular full time work.

And most pharmacy work is really, really, really, really, really, really, really boring.

(PS- I left the practice of pharmacy in 1982)

Pharmacy is basically repetitive work, I assume it's pretty nice and would be something to do if you don't feel like being active and learning about all new types of medicine coming out.

Biochemists usually know about most medicine that is already out there and are either trying to alter medicine or create it.

For what I know, most people are going into biochemistry right now. It's an interesting field and very interesting if you're into biology, chemistry, and the brain.