Science Forums

Consequences

goku

i've been milking cows for about 13 years now. a few years back i began to wonder if our interference with the holstein species will eventually lead to the distruction of the species?

also, when breeding a species for certian traits, are the genes for the traits we want recessive or dominant?

Actually, Holsteins and any other breed of domesticated cattle owe their existence to us meddling in the affairs of wild animals in the first place. Selective breeding made them what they are today - I doubt if any farmer worth his salt will selectively breed a productive animal out of existence.

when i say interferance i mean stopping natural selection.

saving an animal when it would have naturaly died, allowing weak genes to continue.

genes that made the animal sick or prone to be sick.

will the species become unable to survive outside a controled enviroment?

I think we're wayyyy beyond that point already.

We've embarked upon an intentional program over the last couple o'thousand years to remove any aggression out of cows, with the end result of having docile, stupid meat factories. I think if you drop a few cows in the wild, they'll be dead before nightfall.