Science Forums

INTEL vs AMD

I have used AMD for three years now, currently I'm running a Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton) overclocked to a 3200+ on an ASUS A7N8X motherboard (bought both secondhand at a bargain price). Gets a bit hot at times but is stable and efficient. And value for money!

I use it for music production, web design, writing - and some gaming. So I guess that should cover most of your needs...

Tormod

All we supply is AMD with MSI MB's. Crucial memory and Seagates. At hoime I have 4 workstations and a server. At the office 3 servers (dual AMD, single amd running Red Hat and a 4 processor DEC ALPHA for SQL development) with 9 Workstations on it.

I'm still on a Athlon Thunderbird 1.33. I don't do much gaming any more. Though I see DOOM III is on it's way. I think my GeForce2 should handle it.

Ok there are few things that people dont consider while talking about this:

1 Which Wntel vs which AMD, there are a number of different processors and lines of processors that each company holds, some good like that new AMD 64 bit one, and some bad like K6.

2 If you are considering companies you need to consider them to what you are doing, ex: Celeron will beat any processor in processing graphic data, but Xeon will outperform any processor in it's class in speed (Xeon 3.06 vs Pentium 3.06 vs Celeron 3.06 vs anything else 3.06, Xeon will outperform).

3 You can't just say "Oh, AMD just came out with a 64 bit processor, so it's better", no new Pentium m is in developement as we speak

My onest opinion is: it all depends on what you want to do.

AMD:

runs cooler

faster, unless you take a high end Pentium

needs smaller heatsink

cheaper

but not very reliable.

Intel:

Faster on fast end

More reliable in servers (used more often)

have nice mutithread compability

well its all in what you prefer more.... here is a nice link to some charts in high end speed for both

http://www.pcpitstop.com/research/cpumfr.asp

alex,

are you sure about the "runs cooler" thing? I have the opposite experience. My AMD runs at twice the temperature of a similar P4, if I am not mistaken. But from what I gather this is by design so it does not matter - and as you say, they require much less cooling.

As for the "not very reliable" I have to disagree. Like you said some processors are not good but I have never ever had stability problems with an AMD processor.

And Freethinker...yeah, Doom III could run on your Geforce 2. And your car could run on water.

Tormod

My car does run on water. As long as it's not too deep! :-)

I agree with the reliability issue. We sell tons of AMD's That is all we sell in fact. I could not tell you when we sold an Intel last. We find them to be VERY reliable.

Processesors tend to be a leap frog deal. Intel and AMD take the lead back and forth. But we find Intel processors to be gimmicky. They add technologies that are very specialized that are only of value if the software is re-written to utilize it. Yes if there is some specific hooks in the software code to take advantage of some propriatary processor hardware, the Intel can outperform the AMD. But in general, we find the AMD kicks Intel butt!

OK, the following is my son's reply to my e-mail to him which copied Alex's post. I decided not to edit it (except one consistantly used word), so please ignore the tone. His picture appears in the dictionary next to the term "Computer Geek" and has very STRONG opinions on things. Wonder where he gets that from? lol. But he also has a LOT of experience in this. Programs he wrote going back to Middle School are still being used to teach programming there. He wrote the syllibus for his High School to start teaching C++ because Pascal was as far as they had gone. He had a laminated hall pass and would be pulled out of class and sent to other schools in the district to fix PC's. And he is a STRONG supporter of AMD over Intel. Remember he did not write this expecting it to be read in public. But he does know I am posting it. Here goes...

Ok, who the f**k wrote this drivel and why am I reading it?

Must be one of those idiots who thinks they are a techy...

>Ok there are few things that people dont consider while talking about

>this:

>1 Which Wntel vs which AMD, there are a number of different processors and

>lines of processors that each company holds, some good like that new AMD

>64 bit one, and some bad like K6.

There was nothing wrong with the K6. In fact, AMD out paced Intel in clock

speed at the end of the life span of Socket-7. If you wanted a low cost PC

back during the time Intel was first shipping the PII, a nice K6-500 would

have been VERY cost effective and reliable! Intel only made up to a P-233

for the Socket-7 motherboards. They then ended the road map for Socket-7

early while AMD continued to improve it.

>2 If you are considering companies you need to consider them to what you

>are doing, ex: Celeron will beat any processor in processing graphic data,

>but Xeon will outperform any processor in it's class in speed (Xeon 3.06

>vs Pentium 3.06 vs Celeron 3.06 vs anything else 3.06, Xeon will

>outperform).

Ok, any one who thinks a celeron will out perform ANY other cpu at ANY thing

is a f**king moron. The celeron is a pathetic cpu with hardly the L2 cache

to run word...

Xeon will NOT outperform any processor "in it's class".

>3 You can't just say "Oh, AMD just came out with a 64 bit processor, so

>it's better", no new Pentium m is in developement as we speak

>My onest opinion is: it all depends on what you want to do.

Yeah, Intel is borrowing technology AMD came up with. Because their own

64 bit platform is failing to sell as well as expected. Intel also followed after

AMD when it came to making a high end CPU for gamers with a larger L2

cache on the die. AMD did that first, Intel saw this and followed THEM. So

if AMD is now starting to play the role of leader then what does that tell you?

>AMD:

>runs cooler

Not always. In Intels defence some AMD cpus ran hotter than their

Intel counter parts.

>faster, unless you take a high end Pentium

Huh? Faster than what then? "high end pentium"? Look, clock cycle for

clock cycle the AMD Athlon and Opteron are FASTER and MORE

EFFICIENT than Intel. Intell needs several hundred Mhz in their favor

before they are "faster". Any comparison between and Athlon and P4

of like speeds will always show the AMD as being faster, significantly!!

>needs smaller heatsink

what the f**k does that have to do with any thing?

>cheaper

>but not very reliable.

What?!?!? Everything I run is AMD and it is all VERY RELIABLE. The

person who wrote this is a f**king smack tard...

>Intel:

>Faster on fast end

Again, huh? what language does this idiot speaking? Faster on fast end?

Grasping for excuses to pay more for a P4 are we?

>More reliable in servers (used more often)

NOT TRUE AT ALL. In fact, to date AMD has not recalled a single CPU

design that I am aware of. Intel has recalled at leas

Alex wrote:

Well its all in what you prefer more....

here is a nice link to some charts in high end speed for both

"]http://www.pcpitstop.com/research/cpumfr.asp

Freethinker:

And one other item. THis site only shows MARKET PENETRATION. It does not provide any TECHNICAL comparison. For a tech comparison try:

http://www.tomshardware.com/

(Tormod: Edited due to markup problems...hm this post really doesn't want to get edited)

Originally posted by: Freethinker

And it gets stranger, it won;t let me post now?

Hey, what do you expect? You let your 5-year-old SON write f**k in our forums? That sort of thing is what makes the auto-censorship kick in. (Honestly, I don't know what's up, I can post...)

I hope Alex takes no offense - if there is ONE topic we need not let sink to name calling level it is the sickening AMD vs INTEL die-hard camp discussion.

Apples, anyone?

Tormod

It was a display thing. Somehow my first reply spilled to a new page, which did not appear in my browser, even though I reloaded the page manually. Then I posted the 2nd message and both appeared.

I had thought about posting a 3rd apolgizing for posting a 2nd, but that would require a 4th to apologize for the 3rd and ....

Ya he's my kid alright. But you missed the 2 infront of the 5. Like I said, I could ahve chopped it up, but I... (choose excuse)... didn't.

He's got lots of good points though.

When did AMD ever have to recall an entire processor design?