Science Forums

UFO!

Tim_Lou

That's what the admin team does - controls the masses :shrug:

And this is what we masses do- give the admins something to control.:eek2:

Back on topic, the Apollo astronauts now say they saw UFO's & NASA told them to keep their mouthes shut. In a conspiratorial twist, they said it in the UK first/only!? :)

Back on topic, the Apollo astronauts now say they saw UFO's & NASA told them to keep their mouthes shut. In a conspiratorial twist, they said it in the UK first/only!? :shrug:

Alrighty thens, I just saw the program "Apollo 11: The Untold Story" on one of the science cable channels. Not only did Buzz & Neil talk about seeing UFO's, they showed tape of one that flew in formation with them. Not wanting to spill the beans over the air, & thinking it may be a jettisoned booster section, they radioed down to mission control & asked for a fix on that booster. NASA came back & said it was 4,000 miles from them & that ruled that out. It remains unidentified to this day. While the documentary didn't include an "official" NASA response, the narrator commented NASA didn't want to loose credibility.

Or did they? Or is that do they? Doesn't matter. Neil & Buzz say they saw them & it's good enough for me. By all means take the chance to watch the show if it comes your way(s). Love to hear some commentary on the show directly by those who have seen it.

Beaming up,

Turtle

The plot thickens. Buzz Aldrin appeared live on George Noory's Coast To Coast AM radio show last night for about half an hour. They chatted awhile amicably, but when George asked Buzz about the UFO's, Buzz gott fussy, scolded George & all media, & changed the subject to the lights they all saw when particles penetrated the craft & hit their retinas.

Talk about strange tactics! He talks about it candidly in the documentary while they play a movie of a UFO pacing them out the window!

Add to all that, there is a guy claiming SETI has made contact, but they are keeping it mum & the band they found them on is being jammed now.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/31/signals_seti/

Put on your pyramid hats girls & boys; the aliens have arrived.:evil:

The Learning Channel has a new 2006 documentary out that is running on Comcast cable tonight. From the guide:

Examining cockpit recordings from pilots and astronauts reporting UFO sightings.

Report to follow.

:Alien: :Alien: :Alien: :Alien: :Alien: :Alien: :Alien: :Alien: :Alien:

The Learning Channel has a new 2006 documentary out that is running on Comcast cable tonight. From the guide:

Examining cockpit recordings from pilots and astronauts reporting UFO sightings.

Report to follow.

:Alien: :Alien: :Alien: :Alien: :Alien: :Alien: :Alien: :Alien: :Alien:

Good stuff all right! Pretty much as the description communicated. Once again, the authorities don't care to comment. :doh: The show ended with a tape of a shuttle astronaut just before voice transmission stopped saying "we still have the alien ship in sight...". :eek2: Conclusion:UFO's confirmed....again...:Alien:

According to Livescience, one of the 13 biggest physics mysteries is the "wow-signal" they picked up in looking for ET. They have picked up a signal that has all the hallmarks of being artifical, but isn't considered a bona fide ET signal unless its confirmed. And they could never confirm it. Bummer. I'll get the link...

• 1 month later...

I don't belive Aliens in genral are real, becuase the body is a very complicated thing and to randomly get it twice is hard and you have to consider there are only a few which can hold any life. The possibility of them being able to fly through space or communicate with us is to small to count on and people lie for thier 15 minutes of fame and the easiest way to say that they have been disproved and still get people to know your name is to believe in aliens.

Firstly, being away on holiday, I've gotten into this argument a little late.

The evidence is the evidence and it is the interpretation that is really in question.

There are things flying about the heavens that defy logical explanation and they have been captured on film, video and by eyewitnesses.

Can we say that these are not craft from other worlds? No, logically because we don't know what they are in all cases. On top of this the belief that we are the only planet in the universe with life on it is as arrogant as other beliefs attacked for being much less logical but equally interesting to study from a sociological or psychological perspective - Flat Earthers, Choosen People, Sun Rotating round Earth rather thn vice-versa. A further argument I once put when somebody said they believed in UFO's but not Alien Abduction as a possibility was, why come all the way across the universe to turn round again without landing or collecting samples? You don't fly over a foreign country to turn round and come back without exploring unless your objective was purely observational, do you? (hostile to life, yours at least or as a general survey).

The old chestnut about them landing on the Whitehouse Lawn rather than picking up Joe Soap, also falls flat when motive is examined and compared to how we react, depending upon our objectives. Is this a diplomatic mission, between peaceful protagonists or furtive moves by an invader or scientific mission? Advanced races would take one look at us and probably carpet bomb the planet to sanitise it first in my opinion, unless they needed to keep us alive for experimentation or as a slave race.

Am I saying any of this proves UFO's are alien craft or that they are kidnapping people? No but what I am saying is that if we're talking logic, lets keep to common sense and not propaganda (somebody elses agenda based on their own private beliefs). The argument must remain open because socially there is no definitive proof of what these things are or what is happening in the sky above our heads, even though individual witnesses and governments may know more than the general public on this score (I believe it is quite likely that the governments of the world stay stumm on this subject because they can do nothing about the phenomena and it makes them look like helples babies on top of it - not a good place to be when you're trying to sell the illusion, you're topdog and know everything).:)

As for conspiracy theories - a lot of them are invented by people to fill in the gaps of their own knowledge and the government let them think what they want as the mystery gives the impression that the government are cleverer and more in control of things than they probably are (It also makes the conspirators look equally clever and in the know too: People hate looking stupid and helpless, even if they are).

If rods are insects flying about, surely it would be possible to reproduce the phenomena on film and show it as that? It's like a lot of debunking and explaining - you are given verbal 'proof' that this thing is caused by such and such an illusion but no reproduction to prove that this is in fact what we see as viewers (Like Corn Circles and UFO's poorly hoaxed, they fail to impress anyone but the total sceptic who doesn't want to believe in them anyway - just as the hardened believer will credit any evidence, no matter how laughable: This is social phenomena again, not proof or disproof of existence [ To hoax is to imitate, to imitate implies an original event]).

Turtle, don't forget to consider the possibility that the government wants it to look like there might be something, so they 'cover up' nothing, and tell people to 'admit' to the media that they did it. It's controlled disinformation, and can be useful to control the masses.

Control the masses? They can't even control the bloody hoodlums down the street! :) (You can't control what you don't understand - it controls you through through your ignorance).

• 2 months later...

Billions of people se the sun get up in the east and set in the west, every single day. Does that mean it orbits the Earth? Yet people thought that, too.

Just because lots of people see things, doesn't make it a fact.

People still see the sun going down in the West and rise in the East - that is a fact. The interpretation that from space this is what we would see also, is where the problem arises. Astronauts have shown that we've got it back to front but that is because they are seeing it from literally a different angle. This is the whole meaning of 'viewpoint' (Where you 'stand 'on an issue, not its ultimate truth).

I have seen UFO's and aliens in my bedroom. I do not believe I see them because I want to but my interpretation of what they are, yes that is based on previous experience. One of the UFO's I saw was visible for many minutes and seen all over the world as was one of my bedroom visitations (Former mentioned in UFO: Operation Trojan Horse by John Keel and latter as The Blue Mountain Sightings in Australia, reviewed in Nexus magazine).

I saw something just like people see the sun rising and setting but that is all you can say with any certainty as a witness. To have an outsider who wasn't present, tell you that you misinterpreted what you saw is facetious at the least, especially when it comes to common objects. The cause of what you saw - that is something else (and I don't mean swamp gas).

This is just another argument fallacy. Argumentum ad numerum - consists of asserting that the more people who support or believe a proposition, the more likely it is that that proposition is correct. Thousands, in fact MILLIONS, used to be absolutely convinced that the earth was flat. They made all kinds of claims to personal experience confirming it. How many people believe something has nothing to do with whether it IS true or not.

It isn't about belief, it is about experience

OK, that "makes sense". But to then propose, that since the chance of another intellegent species exists somewhere in the universe is all but certain, that we would be the intentional target of some other intellegence, that the odds of our small planet, in a at best average solar system, in an outer arm of a massive galaxy, would be THE spot in the entire universe that large numbers of aliens would intentionally visit... well... does that sound rational in ANY WAY?

The odds against it do not preclude the odds for it. We've hardly been on this planet five minutes ourselves and like the question of the sun circling the Earth, our limited viewpoint does not make it fact that they are not here: Logic is theory - experience is fact. Because we're fumbling around in the dark doesn't mean they are. They could have started here and just be returning home. Life could be abundant in this part of the galaxy or even universe. The fact is we don't know what the truth is and can only conjecture.

Further that an advanced species would have nothing better to do than to sneak up on people (typically inconsequential, less educated people) and cram things up various openings.

Again - maybe they have been here a long while as some have theorized and are just keeping an eye on us, like birdwatchers (Scientific mission, not conquest as in all these crappy films like Independence Day, that give the impression that the aliens have less intelligence than the monster in Alien).

Then there are the reports we get from "recovered memory". Some therapist helps a sufferer regress in time to "discover" their hidden memory of abduction. Much of this happened during the same time that another group of therapists were helping "sufferers regress in time to "discover" their hidden memory of" sexual abuse. Hundreds of each. Interestingly, there is not a single case of a UFO investigator EVER finding a sexual abuse victem, nor conversely a sexual abuse therapist finding a UFO abductee. NOT ONE! Statistically this is absurd. The ONLY assertion one can derive from this fact is that the process ALWAYS finds what it is looking for. Leaving little validity to the process.

I can not claim to have investigated EVERY UFO claim. But EVERY claim I have checked into falls apart when it is examined critically. And there is not a single claim that has been shown to be supported by FACTUAL evidence.

I hope this stuff is starting to get thru to you Tim. I hope you are starting to see why these things are so bogus. I hope you are stating to grasp what IS and what is NOT valid proof. I suggest you read

Logic & Fallacies

http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/logic.html

Learning to make a first cut of

Bogus? That is prejudice not scientific thought - what are these people really experiencing, shows true scientific thought (Nuetral/unbiased/giving people the benefit of the doubt: When I saw the giant, black needle shape floating slowly between the clouds in my youth, I was with school friends and none of them wanted to acknowledge what was there - to me this is as interesting a phenomena as what I saw myself

• 3 weeks later...

The vast majority of them discovered have been proved to be aeroplanes and believe it or not atmospheric conditions can seem to create an image of one either on a plane or on level ground. Others have been mainly US aeroengineering and/or tests carried out as in the famous Amazon incident in the USA.

One incident however baffles me, which is the Roswell Incident of the 1950's, no full explanation has been given for the sightings on level ground.. The first main one but no explanation? Why? I don't know!

In that respect, if the Roswell incident was proved inadequate then I don't believe in UFO's, but the Roswell Inciddent put's me on the half-way line of belief.