Science Forums

UFO!

Tim_Lou

ok here:

http://www.lovely.clara.net/biophysical.html

it shows the impossibility that humans CANNOT have created these crazy crops circles!

they crops are NOT JUST BENT but change in chemical structures! no one could possibily have done it world wildly.

it is claimed that 2 people have done the jobs:

http://www.csicop.org/hoaxwatch/cropcircles.html

but how is it possible that the chemical structures change?

Originally posted by: Tim_Lou

ok here:

http://www.lovely.clara.net/biophysical.html

it shows the impossibility that humans CANNOT have created these crazy crops circles!

they crops are NOT JUST BENT but change in chemical structures! no one could possibily have done it world wildly.

it is claimed that 2 people have done the jobs:

http://www.csicop.org/hoaxwatch/cropcircles.html

but how is it possible that the chemical structures change?

Tim, Tim, Tim... You really need to try to evalute and report on these rather than just tossing them out like this. It is great practice.

But let's do this for you one more time. Next time it is YOUR job to research and report rather than uncritically spew this stuff. I know it is "neat" stuff. But try to be at least a little critical.

let start with:

This is a "Serious research on crop circles" site. How do we know this? They say so! So it MUST be true, RIGHT?

And the specific article from this URL. How do we check it for validity? One method I use is to check the credentials of listed "authorities". I started with "Dr. W. C. Levengood is a respected biophysicist". My first interest is WHO is Dr. W. C. Levengood, what makes him a "respected biophysicist", by whom? So I did a Google on him. So far I can not find anything about him outside of Crop Circle sites. So it would seem the ONLY place that he is 'respected" by is those that want crop circles to be some extra-natural event. Oh ya, that and cattle mutilation sites. This guy likes sensationalistic issues. Not that that is neccesarily a bad thing, but it does raise some flags.

In searching for his credentials, I came across an interesting site. It is based on reports done under the aspecies of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, a very highly regarded research institute. Part of this site is a discussion with a John A. Burke who released a report with Dr. W. C. Levengood (``Dr W.C. Levengood, John A. Burke, Lab Report No 18, the FE3 Project and the H-Glaze Report'')

One of the issues addressed was the claim you list:

they crops are NOT JUST BENT but change in chemical structures!

But when directly questioned about this claim, the author finds that

"Two things struck me most about John Burke: the strength of his desire to believe that crop circles were something other then hoaxers, and the inconsistency of his methods and procedures. The first is evident from his claim that 90% of all crop circles are ``real'' in the sense of not made by people. He states this even when showing pictures of crop formations that are obviously meant to look like something, such as spiders, scorpions, wheel chairs and Micky Mouse (I'm not making this up---ask Peter or Daniel).

The second observation comes from the way his talk was peppered with ``we found this in a couple sites,'' and ``that in a couple of other.'' The description was that of a fishing expedition---find a circle and look for something, anything, odd about it. If you find something (anything) it is a ``real'' crop circle, otherwise it is fake. I questioned Burke at length about his control groups and control samples. In short, he has none.... On the whole Burke's talk was informative. He did clear up the stories about ``magnetized grain'' (as stated above, it wasn't), radiation (only found at one or two sites, nothing consistent), and genetic abnormalities (one of the early samples was abnormal, that's all)...His thesis, however, struck me as a case of self-confirming research, that is research to confirm a previously held belief, instead of to test (potentially disproving) a hypothesis. "

ONE SAMPLE! That is ALL! WOW a genetic anomoly in ONE SAMPLE! But it would be of little value to provide ALL

take a look at these pictures:

http://www.circlemakers.org/totc2002.html

finally, i can find a website that is recently updated:

http://www.circlemakers.org/new_documents.html

yeah, maybe your right, freethinker. the last time i tried to find out the truth about crops cicles was like 3 years ago, it is really outdated.

sorry about my research, i cant really do a big one. i dont have this much time and my sisters are saying that im crazy! "you hate researching for homework but now your typing an eassy and doing research for this forums!!!" lol............

take a look at these pictures:

http://www.circlemakers.org/totc2002.html

finally, i can find a website that is recently updated:

http://www.circlemakers.org/new_documents.html

Did you notice that they are actually the same site? Just different pages.

yeah, maybe your right, freethinker. the last time i tried to find out the truth about crops cicles was like 3 years ago, it is really outdated.

Nothing has changed Tim. Crop Circles are bogus and only the most ardent and completely uncritical bother even trying to beleive in them.

You KNOW how bogus it is becoming when the last site you gave shows as one example an ad for a hotel done in "crop circle".

sorry about my research, i cant really do a big one. i dont have this much time and my sisters are saying that im crazy! "you hate researching for homework but now your typing an eassy and doing research for this forums!!!" lol............

You don't need to "do a big one" Tim. It took me minutes to find the info. One of the tricks is to look at the domain and the short blurb provided by Google. Find sites that are not commercial sites with an obvious agenda. A site like cropcircles.org would obviously be a heavily biased site.

I like to look for .edu's because it is an educational site. Or some science org one.

Also, learning the skill of researching info is benefitial regardless of WHAT info you are looking for. Getting better at it might help you get a homework assignment done faster, and better.

But you still aren't telling us wht YOU are thinking.

well, freethinker, you can really do a big research on everything. and response to every sigle topic!

wow, you got: "Posts: 459" already! in like several months!

Ya I know, I get addicted to these things. But I eventually get so wrapped up in other things that a drop out.

• 4 weeks later...

tim, to answer your questions about UFO's, yes, freethinker has a point, once UFOs are identified, they are no longer UFO's. but i'm sure that wasn't the question or answer you were looking for, my opinion of course. you were talking about alien encounters with an alien unidentified flying object. the little saucer flying objects. well, there are two things you msut consider. one, the government has quite a bit of hidden information that we have never seen, i have hada few people within the government tell me that most of this information will come out in twelve years, but who ever trust the governemnt? two, we can not completely rule out the fact the we are possibly not alone in the universe. all this space and we think we are the only one's who inhabbit the entire universe? there are records of major UFO sitings in mexico city. in fact, it was so bad that even the government had to tell the people that they had it under control, when they really had no idea what to do. the UFOs stayed there for weeks,a nd then, just as quickly as they got there, they dissapeared.

there really is no telling exactly what the answer is. do UFOs exist, int eh way that you meant for it to be answered, yes. they do. but why? that is a question we may never know the answer to.

• 2 weeks later...

As a race, for us to believe we are alone has to be the ultimate in human egotism. The universe is more than likely teaming with life and we're no doubt relative infants as compared to some. This would be one, if not the biggest, revelation in human history. Everyone here knows you can't believe everything you hear or read, and these claims of UFO sightings should rightfully be scrutinized but it seems debunkers try to hard to explain them away using everyday phenomena. Id rather they attack the credibility of the observers (which they do in some cases) than to come out with some of these silly explanations like people playing frisbee or whatever. At least give us something like experimental military aircraft which is probably responsible for some but I doubt all, especially the lumberjack in northern Newfoundland if you catch my drift. This topic deserves research and people shouldn't be ridiculed for coming forth. I think the tide is starting to change, it's becoming easier to believe this is a possibility than not to believe it. Hopefully in my lifetime we'll get some defnitive proof.

Originally posted by: Guinness

Hopefully in my lifetime we'll get some defnitive proof.

Have you ever heard of "SETI@home"?

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

It is a way for you to be actively involved with the "Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence" in your home. You download a program and some data. Then while your computer is not doing antyihg else, the spare processor cycles evaluate the data for indications of intellegent information.

Paraphrased quote (can't remember the original) from one of my favorite comics:

Calvin: Do you think there is life elsewhere in the universe?

Hobbes: Hm...I don't know.

Calvin: I think the best evidence for intelligence in the universe is that nobody has come to visit us yet.

Tormod

Originally posted by: Tormod

Calvin: Do you think there is life elsewhere in the universe?

Hobbes: Hm...I don't know.

Calvin: I think the best evidence for intelligence in the universe is that nobody has come to visit us yet.

Maybe they have been here and are just embarrassed they wasted their time coming.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Inspite of this new startling revelation by Apollo astronauts, the mainstream press is virtually mum. Orders from NASA.:eek: :) :eek2:

In the documentary "Apollo 11: The Untold Story," shown on Britain's Channel Five on Monday night, July 24, astronaut Buzz Aldrin says he, Neil Armstrong and Michael Collins all saw a UFO shadowing their spacecraft. Apollo 11, which took off on July 16, 1969, was the first manned mission to the moon. Aldrin says, "There was something out there, close enough to be observed, and what could it be?"

http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=5469

Aldrin also revealed that he and other astronauts had reported seeing a UFO during the flight, but NASA had covered it up. He said, ...

While the UFO's these guys saw may have been ice, or paint, or whatever unidentified material or effect, it seems clear the "officials" have a severe bias. :shrug:

Turtle, don't forget to consider the possibility that the government wants it to look like there might be something, so they 'cover up' nothing, and tell people to 'admit' to the media that they did it. It's controlled disinformation, and can be useful to control the masses.

Turtle, don't forget to consider the possibility that the government wants it to look like there might be something, so they 'cover up' nothing, and tell people to 'admit' to the media that they did it. It's controlled disinformation, and can be useful to control the masses.

I won't forget. Wonderful the way your post is self-similar- that is, an example of what it describes.:)