Science Forums

Evolution = slow, technology = fast

alxian

Freethinker, i'm interested. tell me what pride i could take in being atheist ?

I don't follow. If you are an Atheist, why are you asking me? If you are just trying to insult me, to what purpose? Is this obfuscation? a red herring? Sophistry? Ad hominem? Not being able to refute my assertion, you wish to discredit me personally?

OK, perhaps I get some pride from always being on this end of the attacks. If the best others can do if they disagree with my assertion is to attack me personally, there must be something stronger behind my assertions. Or the assertions would be under attack rather than me personally. I do like regularly finding that my assertions stand up to close scrutany. If they don't, I replace them with what does. Rather than attack the messenger

is life better ?

Define "better". Actually I would say it is harder to live a life in which you do not have something else to blame when you do wrong. Being an Atheist requires accepting full personal responsibility. No god to blame or petition. I understand why others are quick to reject that burden and remian "believers" instead.

am i more intelligent ?

If you reverse the phrase you would have some validity to it. It is well documented that the "more intellegent" (better educated, higher IQ, ...) you are the more LIKELY you are to not beleive. But claiming to be an Atheist does not in and of itself change your IQ.

will it be better for me not to have a religious ceremony at my funeral ?

After you die, it really won't matter to YOU. Is this confusing?

do i know some information that others don't know ?

If you haven't come out yet.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can readily see that two functions of atheism are intolerance to others opinions and the need to provide arguments with no substance.

HA!

how could anyone say that when some religious people hate everyone who doesnt agree with them? how is that tolerance? that was a very unfair statement, especially since you can pin most wars on religious disagrements.

interesting...i disagree completely, becuase i, for one, do not believe in a god but i definatley believe in the human brain evolving over the course of several billion years. i also believe that since evolution granted us the power to think and therefore question things, and therefore see problems and therefore solve these problems we crated things to make up for our evolutionary problems. the reason other species live without technology is because they are ignorant to the fact that they have evolutionary disadvantages. the human ability to recognize these disadvantages is not unique, simply the most advanced and not just relying on instincts.

there it is again, billions of years

you're right animals are ignorant, but, are humans animals :evil:

Freethinker...''Absurd! By WHO'S defintion? And what "order" is there to "creation" if you are pretending that "creation" can only mean the Christian mythical old guy snapping his fingers.'' childish

Freethinker... '' Your lapse of reasoning skills is showing. There is nothing logical about asserting that something as perfectly natural as evolution, or the lack of it, supports some idiotic fairytale.'' rude, intolerant of others opinion

it seems to that most atheists assume a superior attitude as if only they have discovered a secret by their superior intelligence. they don't seem to realize that many fine minds have considered this issue over the years and think differently. if you disregard the mythical Gods of the worlds religions, what evidence do you have that there was no intelligent creation? please don't counter by saying ID'ers have no proof either.

*skipping everyone elses posts, on with my opinion*

Well for all you know human beings might've reached a saturation point in evoltution. Or we lost the ability to evolve due to the technology, we just don't need evolution. We adapt to eviroment by suiting the enviroment to our needs.

I am not sure what your question or point of discussion was, but if your asking which is better evolution or technology. I would place my trust in nature. Technology and human error and body doesn't go together very well, besides, slow and steady wins the race. Well thats not really my opinion, but whatever.

Although of hardly any relvance i just feel like mentioning a quote (just randomly out of the blue)

"Evolution is just a 'theory', just like gravity. If you don't like it/believe in it, go jump off a bridge."

we're lucky no'one pulled the world ending nuclear trigger is all.

that would have been our saturartion point, globalization or obliteration, now we're back to squabbling over natural resources and silly culture clashing.

i believe shortly a food crisis will force some kind of conflict that we'll need to sidestep or confront with arms.

there it is again, billions of years

your right animals are ignorant, but, are humans animals :naughty:

yes, humans are animals, we are simpily intelligent.

technology is evolution, its just a different kind.

EXAMPLE-

a small type of squrrel has to climb trees to escape for potentiol predetors. after the course for, say, 1,000 years, the species slowly evolves and develops sharper claws to make it easier to climb.

one the other hand, man wants to be able to climb a tree, so he makes the ladder in 4 years.

evolution= slow, technology= fast

1. World War 1---not about religion

2. WW 2---not about religion

3. Korean War---not about religion

4. Gulf War---not about religion

5. Iraq War--not about religion

6. American Civil War---not about religion

get the facts straight

haha, funny that dipite all the wars in history you found a few that werent and used them against my argument. what about the middle ages? hundreds upon hundred of wars, christians, jews, muslems...all fighting eachother. im not saying that you can pin EVERY war on religion, but there are definatley a large amount.

and the iraq war not being about religion is a matter of opinion.

a small type of squrrel has to climb trees to escape for potentiol predetors. after the course for, say, 1,000 years, the species slowly evolves and develops sharper claws to make it easier to climb.

not so

the squirrels that had sharper claws, due to genetic variations, would live to pass on their genes. no mutation, just natural selection.

Absurd! By WHO'S defintion? And what "order" is there to "creation" if you are pretending that "creation" can only mean the Christian mythical old guy snapping his fingers.

There is NOTHING more "natural" than evolution.

Your lapse of reasoning skills is showing. There is nothing logical about asserting that something as perfectly natural as evolution, or the lack of it, supports some idiotic fairytale.

Even if evolution should be some overwhelmingly small chance be shown to be incorrect, that does not in any way "suggest" support for creationism.

Hi! Freethinker :Glasses:

So, which came first? Creation or Evolution?

:naughty: