Science Forums

I/O Error

an 1/0 error means that the device in question isn't reading/writing the data correctly. In the case of a VCD it could be that the computer recognises the VCD isn't a dvd and tries to read it as a CD; in the case of a VCD it is a CD written in the same format as a DVD designed to trick DVD players into beleiving it's a DVD being played. As freethinker said the VCD may need a specific Codec, though it'll usually tell you you simply don't have the proper codec.

Does your CD player actually read normal CDs correctly? If your friend wrote the VCD make shure the FAT table is in a format your computer can recognise.

another key thing is your Operating system; is is linux(iif so which "lfavour") windows, etc...

Yes, as GAHD has added. There really is not enough detail to give a solid answer.

Can you play other media? Perhaps the CD drive is not functioning and this is the only disc you have tried? Does this disc work on other PC's? Perhaps it is just a bad file on the CD? Was if formatted exclusively for MAC's?

I jumped to the codec solution because I would have done all the other troubleshooting and this usually winds up to be why I can't paly a specific media file. I also use PowerDVD rather than WMP.

I try to use Non-Microsuck's products where ever possible. Before they buy them and trash them.

i use winXP, pentium3. (it's about 5 years old now)

the cd drive is fine with all cd's except vcd's (.dat). other formats are ok, like .mpg and .avi

it doesn't work with powerDVD either.

the vcd's work fine on a vcd player and my other computer.

lol, try updating the drivers for your CD drive. If you don't know the make/model number check the 'top' plate of the drive itself(you will likely be requireed to dismount the drive to check). then do a google search with the drive's serial/model number for updated drivers.