Science Forums

Australia sets ‘ambitious goal’ to build first complete quantum computer

Many people think the future will be determined by quantum computing and A.I., so it does seem reasonable for Australia to make an effort to develop this technology.

However, Australia does not have the basic infrastructure in place and are late getting into this game.

Rather than try to go it alone and grab the gold ring, the Aussies would be much better off working in a collaboration with the US and UK, both of which have ongoing projects in quantum computing.

I f the West is going to win this race with the Chinese, it will take such a collaborative effort, as I was reading that the Chinese are already nearly at the break even point of corrections versus errors in their qubit encoding.

Of course, the closer they get to the goal of going beyond the break even point into positive Quantum Error Correction, QEC the difficulty increases dramatically. It isn’t as difficult as breaking the FTL light limit, but it is right up there in difficulty, but believed to be achievable.

I doubt it will be achieved by anyone “this decade” meaning by 2030, but 2050 seems reasonable for the big breakthrough. That is just my best guess based upon what I have managed to read on the subject.

I do hope the Western collaboration will win this race, but I suspect the Chinese will win especially if they take over Taiwan’s technological industry.

There is a lot at stake with the Chinese threat to take Taiwan.

On 5/4/2023 at 9:08 AM, OceanBreeze said:

Many people think the future will be determined by quantum computing and A.I., so it does seem reasonable for Australia to make an effort to develop this technology.

However, Australia does not have the basic infrastructure in place and are late getting into this game.

Rather than try to go it alone and grab the gold ring, the Aussies would be much better off working in a collaboration with the US and UK, both of which have ongoing projects in quantum computing.

I f the West is going to win this race with the Chinese, it will take such a collaborative effort, as I was reading that the Chinese are already nearly at the break even point of corrections versus errors in their qubit encoding.

Of course, the closer they get to the goal of going beyond the break even point into positive Quantum Error Correction, QEC the difficulty increases dramatically. It isn’t as difficult as breaking the FTL light limit, but it is right up there in difficulty, but believed to be achievable.

I doubt it will be achieved by anyone “this decade” meaning by 2030, but 2050 seems reasonable for the big breakthrough. That is just my best guess based upon what I have managed to read on the subject.

I do hope the Western collaboration will win this race, but I suspect the Chinese will win especially if they take over Taiwan’s technological industry.

There is a lot at stake with the Chinese threat to take Taiwan.

Interesting, I tend to agree with your assessment of the situation.