Science Forums

What does Science say about EVP's?

Question

I'm sure most have heard about EVP's.

From the move White Noise or the new Sci Fi show called Ghost Hunters which is pretty intresting.

Since the Ghost Hunters go at it with a scientific perspective in the sense that they don't go in saying I feel spirits or I feel this. I'm sure some of you have seen it.

Some of the incidents leave them scratching their heads.

What does Science say about “Electronic Voice Phenomena,” the idea that disembodied spirits (AKA “ghosts”) can be heard in electronic audio recordings?

EVP is, in scientific terms, the name of a class of experiments to support the hypothesis “Ghosts exist.” The prevailing scientific consensus is that this hypothesis has not been supported, by EVP or any other experiments, so remains “Ghosts do not exist.”

It’s interesting to note that, in the early days of audio recording (ca. 1920), there was great optimism among some scientists and technologists (including Thomas Edison) that this new technology would yield conclusive experimental evidence of ghosts. It hasn’t.

It’s also worth pointing out that one of the reasons that main-stream scientists don’t believe in ghosts involves the James Randi Foundation, which offers a $1,000,000 prize for a convincing demonstration of any “supernatural” phenomena, such as EVP. Professional scientists, and amatures like me, reason that if the claims one sometimes see made on programs like Ghost Hunters were easily demonstrable, the researchers making them would surely demonstrate them for the Randi Foundation, in order to collect the $1,000,000.