Science Forums

The Fountain of Life: Scientists Uncover the “Chemistry Behind the Origin of Life”

Vmedvil5

5 minutes ago, atomsmasher said:

The question we should be asking is where did all that H2O come from?

The water of ice caps comes from snow resulting from the evaporation of the oceans. Water vapor from the oceans falls as rain and or snow, sometimes it rains back into the ocean and sometimes it falls on land. If snow falls in an area that stays cold enough it builds up into sheets of ice. 

Edited by Moontanman

8 minutes ago, atomsmasher said:

The top half of our planet was once covered in an ice sheet sever miles thick.

It has been melting ever since. Where did all that water go---?

“oceans”

Moontanman, I am asked to join some grammy thing to get text editing

No joining is required, just click on the size font you want.  

7 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

The water of ice caps comes from snow resulting from the evaporation of the oceans. Water vapor from the oceans falls as rain and or snow,

I agree, but where did the H2O come from?

Water is the byproduct of one atom of oxygen and two atoms of hydrogen combining to form h2o, which in the process gives off a high degree of heat.

Edited by atomsmasher
spelling

1 hour ago, atomsmasher said:

The question we should be asking is where did all that H2O come from?

Water is the byproduct of one atom of oxygen and two atoms of hydrogen combining to form h2o, which in the process gives off a high degree of heat.

Water is not a natural substance, it is not in the periodic table.

Water is in fact a natural substance, it is not on the periodic table because water is not an element, it is however a combination of two elements, oxygen and hydrogen. H2O is the third most common molecules in the universe, only hydrogen and helium are more abundant than water. Some would exclude helium because it is always monatomic but water in the universe is abundant. Water is completely natural and occurs throughout the solar system and the universe.  

How can you defend your statement that water is not natural? 

On 12/3/2022 at 11:28 AM, atomsmasher said:

i still cannot control text size?

That feature is not available in edit mode.  Only in your original can you access the text size menu.

This is my original and I am going to change the boldness and text size of Size.

---------------------------------------------------

This is an edit and I can still use the Bold mode, but text size is no longer available. 

Edited by write4u

Water was provided long before humans existed a was provided by our Lord to sustain bacteria that kill us.

Of course the Tardigrade waterbear can live without water for some 30 years

Tardigrade brought back to life after being frozen for thirty years

Discovery of a tiny new animal in Antarctica's Victoria Land

Members of the group are found everywhere from high mountains and hot deserts to the deep ocean. Their success stems partly from the fact they're among the toughest creatures we know of, able to deal with extremes of cold, heat, pressure, dehydration, poison and radioactivity that would kill almost anything else – indeed, they are the only kind of animal that we know can survive in the vacuum of space.

https://phys.org/news/2014-06-discovery-tiny-animal-antarctica-victoria.html

--------------------------------------

Water is an emergent property of dry H2O molecules in large numbers. 

Neither Hydrogen, nor Oxygen are wet atoms, but combine them in large numbers and water (a liquid) emerges as a property over and above the sum of it's part.

Cool the mixture to below 0 C and Ice (a solid) emerges.

Heat the mixture to above 100 C and Vapor (a gas) emerges.

H2O has 3 emergent properties over and above the sum of its parts.

Edited by OceanBreeze

All Life Needs Water. Why?

Could aliens drink something else?

Nothing on our planet can survive without water. It covers 70% of the surface and about 60% of our body is composed of nothing but water.

Water is everywhere. It’s a good thing too. Because without it, life as we know it would not be possible.

But what is it about water that makes it so essential to living things?

More........ https://mjosefweber.medium.com/all-life-needs-water-why-8b8301550517

-----------------------------------------

This is why I am convinced that the universe is not fine tuned for life but that life is fine tuned to the universe. This where natural selection started.

The polarity of water makes it the ideal medium for mixing and binding a variety of chemicals and it all started with self-forming polymers.

That is whence abiogenesis started.

Edited by write4u

• 5 months later...