Science Forums

Online gaming

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get a great laugh anyhow. I don't think he really expected me to ever post. And I don't do any computer programming at all (he does enough for the both of us). My use of a computer when home is basically sending msn, e-mails and looking for stuff about quilting.

I hear you.

Until I started posting here, I was intenionally limited to e-mail, e-bay, and whatever my kids wanted to Google that day. Then I made the mistake of typing 'mouse trap car' in to Google, and I ended up HERE, becoming frioends with nice people in Norway, atheists in Wisconsin, and old folks in Alabama. Ahhh, the joys of the internet!!

Seriously though, you should join in more often. I've learned a great deal of stuff that i never would have otherwise, but it's more for the grown-up company, which I miss some days...

Plus, your hubby is a riot! I'm guessing that your home life is awesome, as he never has anything bad to say about you or the girls. That's pretty rare, especially with men. You're very lucky!!

Originally posted by: Tormod

When I was 7 there was no such thing as "computers"

Hey, there were computers when I was 7! Of course they were made of tubes (flemming valves for some) and took multiple floors of a building.

You know, the kind in use when the moth became the first computer "bug"?

I had my first computer when I was about 10. It was a Commodore 64, and we played lots and lots of games on it. I miss it. None of todays games can really come close.

Many of the games I see today (Tormods...) are either too complicated or too stupid (my CSI-game).

Originally posted by: Yvonne

I had my first computer when I was about 10. It was a Commodore 64, and we played lots and lots of games on it. I miss it. None of todays games can really come close.

Many of the games I see today (Tormods...) are either too complicated or too stupid (my CSI-game).

A little over a year ago, I had never touched a computer. They just got 'em here in Alabama in 2002.

When I was a kid computers were similar to what Freethinker described, wasn't it called the "ENIAC"? I remember a friend had Atari's "pong" and I thought it was so technologically advanced. I also thought that type of thing would never catch on. I have such amazing foresight.

Believe it or not, pong is the last "computer game" I've played, sometime back in the 70s. Man, am I out of touch!!

Okat, to be honest...I had a brief stunt as a media star (in a magazine with about 1,000 readers...) back in 1978 (when I was 7). My dad was the editor four an industry publication about radio and television, and they had received the first chess computer to ever get to Norway (or something, this is 26 years ago).

Since I was a chess wiz kid I was bribed with candy and coca cola and had to spend a day with the machine, beating it just about every time.

So I'll admit that yes, there were computers when I was 7. OK?

When I was 12 I got a Sinclair ZX-81 and learned BASIC. A few years later I got a ZX Spectrum and learned assembly programming. In 1986 I actually BOUGHT a real computer (two 360K floppy drives, no harddrive, green/green monitor, and 512K memory) and did assembly programming and Pascal.

I remember there were very few games around for it so I wrote my own game engines. But it never took off. Eventually I moved to the US to study and when I came back in 1992 the computer revolution was here...Color monitors! Harddrives! FM audio cards! Graphics cards!

The world has never been the same since.

And Unc - get an Xbox and hook it up to your DSL line (if you have one). I'll beat you horribly in a racing game or golf or whatever.

Tormod

And Unc - get an Xbox and hook it up to your DSL line (if you have one). I'll beat you horribly in a racing game or golf or whatever.

With my current financial situation, the only way I'll be getting an Xbox is if I steal one from my kids or if you offer one as the grand prize for next months quiz. (hint hint)

Originally posted by: Uncle Martin

With my current financial situation, the only way I'll be getting an Xbox is if I steal one from my kids or if you offer one as the grand prize for next months quiz. (hint hint)

Yeah, yeah...I'll have my friends at Microsoft give us 10 for free!!!

I'd LOVE to have prizes like that, but thie is a SCIENCE forum you know, and, er, this is a serious matter.

Tormod

• 3 weeks later...

who told u xbox was the whole world .... remember games are sorry!!!!! were just for fun ....now online gaming has taken it ito levels unimaginable ...... both in good ways as well as bad ways......... how do you suppose to be men and women when you are fighting over a boys toy