Science Forums

Flying Spaghetti Monsterism

rockytriton

sorry if i affended someone. but, some things are affensive whether we like it or not. i found the fsm site to be affensive, but i can take it. i'm sure the english found the decloration of independance affensive.

you've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.

proof of god? i've seen nothing in science to prove other wise.

one of the amazing things about my god is that he allows people to believe what they will.

i must say that my first message was not a waste of time, it has led to much more discusion. i was mearly stating my opinion and keeping it pithy.

If I walked into your church, sat throughout the seminar, got up, and as I left said "Well... *That* was a waste of time.", how would you feel, goku?

It would probably be offensive to you. I know you just stated above that you should expect offensive things, and basically just take it in stride. But why do all that extra work? When the instigator knows they're starting something or about to, why not just avoid it... An immature comment isn't going to change someone's beliefs, it's just stating your own... And amongst the wrong crowd... A statement like that in those surroundings would be me basically begging to start a religious debate.

This Forum is no longer for the never ending debates of "My God is better than your God" or "God doesn't exist, just 'cause..." or even "I *just* know God exists...". We've changed the name so that similar discussions can remain here, but we've shifted the focus towards a more intellectual discussion (Not "debate" :rolleyes:...). There is no debating religion right now. Believers will believe, and non-believers... won't. Until there is scientific evidence to prove or disprove either side, these discussions shall remain just that... Discussions. Save the debating for when we have evidence "on the table" to debate about.

sad

we call it a service, to which you are all welcome.

i wonder if the flying spaghetti monster has sauce on it?

Well, I don't exactly see the FSMinites *forcing* their religion upon you, so I guess their religion could also be considered a "service". All seem to be welcome :hihi:.

But you still thought it a waste of time... sad...

From it's picture/depiction... doesn't look like it :rolleyes:.

I believe Flying Spaghetti Monsterism may be a first-of-a-kind.

Initially, I though it might qualify because its author clearly does not actually believe, in the usual religious sense, in it. However, by those standards, Scientology qualifies, because, according to several of his intimate friends, L. Ron Howard didn’t actually believe in it.

Unlike Scientology, FSMism appears unique in that not only its author, but its entire multimillion congregation don’t actually believe in it.

There have been other “religions” where author and “congregation” didn’t realy believe – the invented theology of Tolkien’s Middle Earth comes to mind – as well as many others contained in short stories and essays – but I don’t believe the authors of these fictional religions made an overt call for worshipers.

I wonder if, 500 years from now, there will exist real congregations of FSMism, where knowledge of its satirical origins have been lost?

• 5 months later...