Science Forums

TWO STARS FADED TO BLACK, SIMULTANEOUSLY!

HYPERSQUIRT

I live in central Texas, and one starry, cloudless night a few years back, I was outside my parents house on their driveway smoking a cigarette and throwing something in the garbage can outside. As I was walking towards the trash, suddenly I got the random urge to look up at the night sky, to the north/northeast, and my eyes for some reason were drawn to two stars that were just above the eve of my parents’ roof, which resembled just regular stars, white in color and nothing extraordinary about them. As soon as my eyes locked onto the two plain looking stars, both of them, (one right above the other pretty much vertically) began to fade out at the exact same time, and the exact same rate, until they had completely vanished. This also, like the OP mentioned, took roughly 5 seconds, to go from regular bright, but not too bright, to nothing. It was weird as s*** and still have no explanation for it to this day.

2 hours ago, HYPERSQUIRT said:

I live in central Texas, and one starry, cloudless night a few years back, I was outside my parents house on their driveway smoking a cigarette and throwing something in the garbage can outside. As I was walking towards the trash, suddenly I got the random urge to look up at the night sky, to the north/northeast, and my eyes for some reason were drawn to two stars that were just above the eve of my parents’ roof, which resembled just regular stars, white in color and nothing extraordinary about them. As soon as my eyes locked onto the two plain looking stars, both of them, (one right above the other pretty much vertically) began to fade out at the exact same time, and the exact same rate, until they had completely vanished. This also, like the OP mentioned, took roughly 5 seconds, to go from regular bright, but not too bright, to nothing. It was weird as s*** and still have no explanation for it to this day.

Boy, there are only steers and queers in Texas and I don't see any horns coming out your head. In any case, it was probably a cloud you couldn't see that blotted them out, even if it is a cloudless night there can still be clouds that block our view that are high up in the atmosphere.

Edited by VictorMedvil

Nah I am positive it wasn’t a cloud. Positive. Plus the way they faded was like somebody dimmed them with a light dimmer, AND, there were other stars close by in the vicinity of these two, and nothing happened to any of the other stars. Also I stood there still staring at the same spot in the sky, to see if they “turned back on”, and for the remainder of the time I looked at the sky, (several minutes) they never showed back up, and if it were a cloud, based on the rate at which they “dimmed”, they would have already reappeared and if the cloud were moving west to east or vice versa, then the other stars around these two would’ve began fading also as the cloud moved past… So, I must conclude, it was no cloud. Now we can move down the list as far as deductive reasoning is concerned.

Edited by HYPERSQUIRT

14 minutes ago, HYPERSQUIRT said:

Nah I am positive it wasn’t a cloud. Positive. Plus the way they faded was like somebody dimmed them with a light dimmer, AND, there were other stars close by in the vicinity of these two, and nothing happened to any of the other stars. So, I must conclude, it was no cloud. Now we can move down the list as far as deductive reasoning is concerned.

Well, I don't know then maybe someone else will have a explanation for what you saw.