Science Forums

What is Your View on String Theory?

darkmatter42

On 8/19/2021 at 5:58 PM, VictorMedvil said:

For your viewing I have posted a thread about String Theory and M-Theory.

link = https://www.scienceforums.com/topic/38471-string-theory-and-m-theory-lectures-from-stanford-university/

Yes, it is the future of physics. If it can be proved, that opens a whole lot of possibilities.

18 hours ago, OceanBreeze said:

Some physicists think the problem with string theory is that it opens up too many possibilities to be useful.

Well this is why they call it theory of everything, because its landscape of possibilities, said to be 10^500 and at least one of them has theoretical basis of being true. Some have gone as far to say all possibilities arise, but I've always been skeptical of parallel universes, or many world theory.

1 hour ago, Dubbelosix said:

Well this is why they call it theory of everything, because its landscape of possibilities, said to be 10^500 and at least one of them has theoretical basis of being true. Some have gone as far to say all possibilities arise, but I've always been skeptical of parallel universes, or many world theory.

How are you skeptical?

1 hour ago, darkmatter42 said:

How are you skeptical?

Until we can find a unified theory of one universe, that would suffice. To think of an array of infinite universes that are strictly unobservable, falls into Popper falsifiability, in the same realm of string theory thus far, and can no longer be held to scientific rigor of a true theory.

Edited by Dubbelosix