Science Forums

Satellite technology which helps scientists prevent us from desertification

bearnard55

Desertification is a type of degradation of land in which the land becomes more arid. Desertification is a direct result of global warming, and approximately 12 million hectares of productive land becomes barren due to desertification annually. Remote sensing technology can be used to measure the extent of desertification. Could you ever thought that in order to fix that stuff scientists start to use satellite technology which helps scientists observe the land?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 10:44 AM, SpaceTourist33 said:

I haven't heard about this way of using satellites, but I suppose it makes sense. There's no another technology that can let scientists monitor such large areas. I think that satellites can also be used for observing the animals, right?

Land observation satellites became very popular among satellites to observe the land. In order to effectively monitor land degradation, desertification, and droughts, a complex variation of indicators and parameters must be analyzed continuously, many of which can be retrieved under the use of geo-spatial applications and Earth observation technologies. There is also a special type of microsatellites that can track rare species of animals to prevent them from being killed by poachers.
https://www.skyrora.com/blog/tag/uk-satellites