Science Forums

Planetary Suicide Destine?

Vmedvil2

As tensions rise between the East and the West the chance of nuclear war becomes ever more possible as China, Russia, United Kingdom, and United States along with North Korea all have nuclear weapons, is it this planet's destiny to go through a nuclear war? It seems a all out war between China, North Korea, and Russia Versus NATO would ultimately lead to the usage of nuclear weapons by one side or another on military and civilian targets which if more than around 1000 nuclear weapons are detonated then that would spell the end of civilization as we know it, those powers having over 15,000 nuclear weapons in their combined arsenals. Ultimately, tensions between the East and West lead to a single outcome which is nuclear war, so as the relationships between these powers become ever more cold will someone decide to make the choice to annihilate the other side which would seal the other side's choice to annihilate them, even a non nuclear confrontation could lead to nuclear war as many of these powers have designated they will respond with nuclear force if attacked with non nuclear force. It seems as if these powers can never fight if civilization is to survive, will these power's relationship someday decay into nuclear war or will they learn to cooperate only time will tell, what are your thoughts on this subject? Is it our fate to burn in the fires of one thousand suns? Remember it is someone else's fate you are calculating not only your own.

Some-say-fate-is-beyond-our-command-but-

Edited by VictorMedvil

Sadly, as a peon of the ruling elite, all we can do is speculate upon which superpower will kill us all, and have nothing realistic or feasible to do about it. I agree that there is little hope of humanity ever overcoming it's propensity for war and strife, but (and I cannot believe I am going to say this as a nihilist and existentialist) I still hold out hope that we MAY one day "See the Light." It is unknowable even with the doomsday clock (https://thebulletin.org/doomsday-clock/) and all the people who pour over the data which points toward a nuclear holocaust, when or if that day will come.

I shall close with my favorite quote from one very powerful man who tried to slow down human kind's approach to death and failed, killed by the very people he tried to expose. And that quote is this: "Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind." ~ John F. Kennedy