Science Forums

Is everything quantized?

Omnifarious

16 hours ago, Fenmachsa said:

I don't know this article to post because I didn't understand what you guys were saying. but I'm still willing to share! In some systems, energy is quantized, which means that, in contrast to the classical case, the system can only contain a limited number of energies.

Welcome.

I was posing the question if universal quantized relational values must functions via generic mathematical guiding equations.

If not, then how could the universe function in an orderly manner, if not mathematically based and restrained ?

In your case of "limited" number of values (energies), are we in agreement as to the generic mathematical nature of their interactions?

Edited by write4u

On 2/18/2021 at 12:13 PM, Omnifarious said:

Years ago I sought to get an understanding of quantum mechanics and I found this documentary:

Nova, quantum mechanics

And it says that "energy is quantized" at 11:40. And to illustrate this point the image on the screen splits into lots of uniform cubes.

This led me to conclude that everything is made of indivisible, uniform pieces. Like any image on this pixelated screen. No only because of they way they showed it but because they said that quantum mechanics governs the things that everything is made of. Also they said energy is quantized and some other sources have said that everything is made of energy. From this I concluded that everything is quantized.

Is this the case?

I found some sources that explain that the energy of light is quantized. Is that what Nova ment or do they mean all energy?

Also, I found some articles that say while light only comes in discrete chunks (quanta), the chunks can have any value depending on the circumstances. The light can't come in values of 1, then 3.5 then 2, only in one number. But depending on the light sources it can come in a steam of 1s, 3.5s 2s or any continuous value etc.

As mentioned thus far gravity isn't quantized but this is due primarily to renormalization which essentially means it will diverge into infinities. We do not know the effective cutoffs for example the singularity of a BH. If the graviton is ever discovered then the theory would be readily renormalizable with an effective IR and UV cutoff (QFT)

All SM particles however are quantified.

On 2/18/2021 at 11:13 AM, Omnifarious said:

Years ago I sought to get an understanding of quantum mechanics and I found this documentary:

Nova, quantum mechanics

And it says that "energy is quantized" at 11:40. And to illustrate this point the image on the screen splits into lots of uniform cubes.

This led me to conclude that everything is made of indivisible, uniform pieces. Like any image on this pixelated screen. No only because of they way they showed it but because they said that quantum mechanics governs the things that everything is made of. Also they said energy is quantized and some other sources have said that everything is made of energy. From this I concluded that everything is quantized.

Is this the case?

I wany to continue on the subject of discrete quantum values and how CDT may answer this interesting phenomenom.

Causal dynamical triangulation

Causal dynamical triangulation (abbreviated as CDT) theorized by Renate LollJan Ambjørn and Jerzy Jurkiewicz, is an approach to quantum gravity that, like loop quantum gravity, is background independent.

This means that it does not assume any pre-existing arena (dimensional space), but rather attempts to show how the spacetime fabric itself evolves.

There is evidence [1] that at large scales CDT approximates the familiar 4-dimensional spacetime, but shows spacetime to be 2-dimensional near the Planck scale, and reveals a fractal structure on slices of constant time. These interesting results agree with the findings of Lauscher and Reuter, who use an approach called Quantum Einstein Gravity, and with other recent theoretical work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causal_dynamical_triangulation

The beauty is that fractals do have discrete values which can be repeated ad infinitum.

The most basic example can be demonstrated with equilateral triangles, one of the most fundamental closed patterns (hence "triangulation") that has a distinct generic value at all sizes.  But when used in a simple exponential fractal formula.

The Sierpinski TriangleReading time

One of the fractals we saw in the previous chapter was the Sierpinski triangle,  a self-similar fractal, which is named after the Polish mathematician Wacław Sierpiński.It can be created by starting with one large, equilateral triangle, and then repeatedly cutting smaller triangles out of its center.

It consists of an equilateral triangle, with smaller equilateral triangles recursively removed from its remaining area.

sierpinski-triangle.svg

But this is an internal fractal. Watch what happens when the fractal function is executed on the exterior of the triangle.

Then you get a Koch snowflake.

image.png.1bddd6b70a5917b63dedff9786e86563.png

And if you use a fractal for a practical exercise, you get this;

image.png

Edited by write4u

5 hours ago, JeffreysTubes8 said:

This nonsense about 2D quantum foam and time fractals is way off track from my work.

Are you denying the evidence?  Seems to me the point of the demonstration is that at Quantum scale we enter a 2D fractal world, which sounds entirely reasonable.

Why should gravitons not have fractal properties and/or values? Have you read CDT? 

Edited by write4u

2 hours ago, JeffreysTubes8 said:

But in the syntax of my work however, there’s a totally different topological and fundamental working component than these scrap models of yours. It goes against logic to assert that the building blocks of matter are somehow less dimensionally complete on an existential basis for mathematical structures that can and do happen. Fractals do not always have pi, not a lot of perfectly curved edges.

In a dynamic environment it is a lot to ask for perfect conformation to mathematical guidance.

i.e. a circle is an idealized object that does not exist in the physical world.

With apologies to 1990s alt-rock fans, a perfect circle cannot exist outside the realm of mathematics. From subatomic particles to carefully built structures, nothing in the physical world passes the perfect circle test, where every point on the circumference is exactly equidistant from the circle's center.Mar 12, 2015

And so it is with every idealization of perfection in a dynamic environment.

1 hour ago, JeffreysTubes8 said:

I guarantee you a black hole is perfectly spherical. The earth isn’t, the sun is smoother than the earth, a neutron star is smoother still.

But that is the "event horizon" of a black hole ,  not the object itself. Moreover theoretically the black hole would have to be perfectly stationary.
Kerr metric with ergosphere

As soon as it begins rotating, the black hole is no longer in perfect spherical symmetry. It acquires an ergosphere, which is shaped like a flattened ball. This is the Kerr metric.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerr_metric

4 hours ago, JeffreysTubes8 said:

By fractal do you mean a reduction in dimensions?

No, I believe the fundamental dimensional fractal is a triangle. Hence the term Causal Dynamical Triangulation (CDT)

Here is the quote from wiki.

Causal dynamical triangulation (abbreviated as CDT) theorized by Renate LollJan Ambjørn and Jerzy Jurkiewicz, is an approach to quantum gravity that, like loop quantum gravity, is background independent.

This means that it does not assume any pre-existing arena (dimensional space), but rather attempts to show how the spacetime fabric itself evolves.

IOW spacetime itself is a fractal object. I think that is a very elegant hypothesis and is supported by physical evidence of fractality everywhere we look.

Edited by write4u

7 minutes ago, JeffreysTubes8 said:

Applying fluid dynamics to the internal structure of a black hole is ridiculous. I’m referring to the ergosphere.

Ridiculous?  That is a rather confident statement. Are you sure?

Kerr metric

The Kerr metric or Kerr geometry describes the geometry of empty spacetime around a rotating uncharged axially symmetric black hole with a quasispherical event horizon. The Kerr metric is an exact solution of the Einstein field equations of general relativity; these equations are highly non-linear, which makes exact solutions very difficult to find.

5 minutes ago, JeffreysTubes8 said:

It’s more along the lines of a black hole either absorbing some incoming energy-matter and flinging the rest ftl in my model. Although the ones it flings can produce thrust, I.e. fast gravity.

That is interesting.   I have always wondered if ftl can exist in a quantum universe.  Seems that, due to the fact that quantum change does require time, I always wondered if SOL is the fastest possible way for quantum to function and if that is due to some mathematical field restriction.

This may be of interest, 

Quantum Leaps, Long Assumed to Be Instantaneous, Take Time

An experiment caught a quantum system in the middle of a jump — something the originators of quantum mechanics assumed was impossible.

In these experiments the jumps indeed looked abrupt and random — there was no telling, as the quantum system was monitored, when they would happen, nor any detailed picture of what a jump looked like. The Yale team’s setup, by contrast, allowed them to anticipate when a jump was coming, then zoom in close to examine it. The key to the experiment is the ability to collect just about all of the available information about it, so that none leaks away into the environment before it can be measured. Only then can they follow single jumps in such detail.

more....

Does that mean we experience all of reality 1/2 of the time or 1/2 reality all of the time?
Edited by write4u