Science Forums

Dreams-a research by Aisha.Z (an 11 year old)

Catgirl

Dream-A research by Aisha.Z

The theory states that dreams don't actually mean anything. Instead they're merely electrical brain impulses that pull random thoughts and imagery from our memories. The theory suggests that humans construct dream stories after they wake up. ... He believed that dreams revealed unconsciously repressed conflicts or wishes.

A dream is a succession of images, ideas, emotions, and sensations that usually occur involuntarily in the mind during certain stages of sleep. The content and purpose of dreams are not fully understood, although they have been a topic of scientific, philosophical and religious interest throughout recorded history.

There are 5 main types of dreams: normal dreams, daydreamslucid dreamsfalse awakening dreams, and nightmares. Whether you remember your dreams or not, most people dream every night during REM sleep

How do Dreams work?:

The scientific study of dreams is called oneirology. Dreams mainly occur in the rapid-eye movement (REM) stage of sleep—when brain activity is high and resembles that of being awake. REM sleep is revealed by continuous movements of the eyes during sleep. At times, dreams may occur during other stages of sleep.

Lucid Dreams:
Lucid dreaming is when you're conscious during a dream. This typically happens during rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, the dream-stage of sleep. An estimated 55 percent of people have had one or more lucid dreams in their lifetime. During a lucid dream, you're aware of your consciousness.  A lucid dream is a type of dream where the dreamer becomes aware that they are dreaming. During a lucid dream, the dreamer may gain some amount of control over the dream characters, narrative, and environment; however, this is not actually necessary for a dream to be described as lucid

false awakening dreams:

Similar to lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis, false awakenings are considered one of the hybrid, or overlap, states between sleep and wakefulness. Many people who experience false awakenings also have lucid dreams. ... You might even “wake up” and start describing your dream to someone else before truly waking up. A false awakening is a vivid and convincing dream about awakening from sleep, while the dreamer in reality continues to sleep. After a false awakening, subjects often dream they are performing daily morning routine such as showering, cooking, cleaning, eating, and using the bathroom.

Night mares:

Overview. A nightmare is a disturbing dream associated with negative feelings, such as anxiety or fear that awakens you. Nightmares are common in children, but can happen at any age, and occasional nightmares usually are nothing to worry about.

Day Dreams:
Daydreaming is the stream of consciousness that detaches from current external tasks when attention drifts to a more personal and internal direction. This phenomenon is common in people's daily life shown by a large-scale study in which participants spend 47% of their waking time on average on daydreaming.

Edited by Catgirl

Hi Catgirl, and welcome to Hypography Science Forum. That’s a great first post; very interesting.  Of all the types of dreams you mention, I can relate mostly to the false awakening dream. I have had those often where I dream that I have already woken, shaved and showered and got dressed and ready to go to work but just as I am about to get in my car I wake up and find I am still in bed and if I don’t hurry I will be late for work! It is a very weird feeling as the false awakening seems to be so real and very detailed. I never thought to research this on the Internet, perhaps thinking that this was something that only I have experienced. It is somewhat comforting to know this is a fairly common experience. Thanks for posting and I hope you will post more. Cheers!

On 12/20/2020 at 11:23 AM, Catgirl said:

Dream-A research by Aisha.Z

The theory states that dreams don't actually mean anything. Instead they're merely electrical brain impulses that pull random thoughts and imagery from our memories. The theory suggests that humans construct dream stories after they wake up. ... He believed that dreams revealed unconsciously repressed conflicts or wishes.

A dream is a succession of images, ideas, emotions, and sensations that usually occur involuntarily in the mind during certain stages of sleep. The content and purpose of dreams are not fully understood, although they have been a topic of scientific, philosophical and religious interest throughout recorded history.

There are 5 main types of dreams: normal dreams, daydreamslucid dreamsfalse awakening dreams, and nightmares. Whether you remember your dreams or not, most people dream every night during REM sleep

How do Dreams work?:

The scientific study of dreams is called oneirology. Dreams mainly occur in the rapid-eye movement (REM) stage of sleep—when brain activity is high and resembles that of being awake. REM sleep is revealed by continuous movements of the eyes during sleep. At times, dreams may occur during other stages of sleep.

Lucid Dreams:
Lucid dreaming is when you're conscious during a dream. This typically happens during rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, the dream-stage of sleep. An estimated 55 percent of people have had one or more lucid dreams in their lifetime. During a lucid dream, you're aware of your consciousness.  A lucid dream is a type of dream where the dreamer becomes aware that they are dreaming. During a lucid dream, the dreamer may gain some amount of control over the dream characters, narrative, and environment; however, this is not actually necessary for a dream to be described as lucid

false awakening dreams:

Similar to lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis, false awakenings are considered one of the hybrid, or overlap, states between sleep and wakefulness. Many people who experience false awakenings also have lucid dreams. ... You might even “wake up” and start describing your dream to someone else before truly waking up. A false awakening is a vivid and convincing dream about awakening from sleep, while the dreamer in reality continues to sleep. After a false awakening, subjects often dream they are performing daily morning routine such as showering, cooking, cleaning, eating, and using the bathroom.

Night mares:

Overview. A nightmare is a disturbing dream associated with negative feelings, such as anxiety or fear that awakens you. Nightmares are common in children, but can happen at any age, and occasional nightmares usually are nothing to worry about.

Day Dreams:
Daydreaming is the stream of consciousness that detaches from current external tasks when attention drifts to a more personal and internal direction. This phenomenon is common in people's daily life shown by a large-scale study in which participants spend 47% of their waking time on average on daydreaming.

This is pretty good for a 11 year old many of this forum's crank's threads are less informative than this. Good Job.

• 4 weeks later...

"The theory states that dreams don't actually mean anything. Instead they're merely electrical brain impulses that pull random thoughts and imagery from our memories. The theory suggests that humans construct dream stories after they wake up. ... He believed that dreams revealed unconsciously repressed conflicts or wishes."

When you say "he" please state  who you mean!

5 hours ago, CountryBoy said:

"The theory states that dreams don't actually mean anything. Instead they're merely electrical brain impulses that pull random thoughts and imagery from our memories. The theory suggests that humans construct dream stories after they wake up. ... He believed that dreams revealed unconsciously repressed conflicts or wishes."

When you say "he" please state  who you mean!

That would be Sigmund Freud, according to this link. I agree that normally posters should provide the source for their references and quotes, but we don’t apply the rules strictly for an 11-year-old.

Allow me to give this a speculative try.

I am no expert, but if Seth is correct then the brain constructs a controlled hallucination and compares it to incoming sensory data. When the expected reality is confirmed by the data, our expectation is confirmed and we can place ourselves in that reality.

When we dream, we do not receive external data and our expectation are just random hallucinations, basically uncontrolled, which allows us to experience the abberant and sometimes fantastical scenes and situations in our dreams without confirmation or correction from external data. IOW, the brain fantasizes (creates) imaginary situations, often based on some trigger (engram) event that occurred during the day and is still fresh in memory. 

In dreams we write imaginary stories, which we may or may not remember dependent on the actual relational narrative produced by the brain.